Zheng Shan Xiao Zhong of Wu Yi Fujian Black tea * Spring 2018

Black Tea Leaves
Malt, Molasses, Sweet, Dark Chocolate, Pine, Sap, Sour, Sweet Potatoes, Cacao
Bulk, Loose Leaf
Edit tea info Last updated by eastkyteaguy
Boiling 0 min, 30 sec 1 g 51 oz / 1506 ml

3 Images

• “I’m still developing more complex taste buds, so bear with me. Brew style: Gong fu First infusion: Aroma is very sweet of molasses and malt. The first notes that hit you are very sweet — sugar...” Read full tasting note
  • “This is a nice, dynamic Zheng Shan Xiao Zhong that reminded me of some equally strong Keemuns. It has a typical wet leaf Keemun aroma. The taste is mostly dark chocolate and malt, with some conifer...” Read full tasting note
  • “This was a fairly tasty Fujian black tea. I loved Teavivre’s unsmoked wild Lapsang Souchong and would have bought some more except I didn’t want to be saddled with a 100g bag so I purchased this...” Read full tasting note

From Yunnan Sourcing

Classic Wu Yi mountain black tea varietal “Zheng Shan Xiao Zhong” means literally “from Wu Yi Mountain Small Tea Plant”.

Our offering is processed in a traditional style and has notes of dark chocolate taste and aroma with a sweet after-finish.

We recommend brewing with 90c temperature water. Wash once very briefly!

This is not a smoky “Zheng Shan Xiao Zhong” and should not be confused with the smoky type “Lapsang Souchong”!

About Yunnan Sourcing View company

I’m still developing more complex taste buds, so bear with me.
Brew style: Gong fu

First infusion: Aroma is very sweet of molasses and malt. The first notes that hit you are very sweet — sugar cane and malt with a slight viscosity on the tongue but clean finish. It’s almost too sweet for me — reminiscent of a first sip of American Southern Sweet Ice Tea!
By the 3rd/4th infusion, the sweetness has subsided with more of a very light malty / very mild smoky undertone. However, I don’t really taste any additional complexity to this tea.

I plan to re-attempt a gong-fu style tasting to see if I change my mind, but if it proves the same, will brew Western Style as “run-out-the-door” drinking tea.

Flavors: Malt, Molasses, Sweet

205 °F / 96 °C 1 tsp 100 OZ / 2957 ML

This is a nice, dynamic Zheng Shan Xiao Zhong that reminded me of some equally strong Keemuns. It has a typical wet leaf Keemun aroma. The taste is mostly dark chocolate and malt, with some conifer tree sap and a touch of sweet potatoes. A strong backbone and a defined bitter-sour aftertaste.

This tea does not exhibit much of complexity and barely has any sweet or floral notes. Simple, bracing, piney. It’s not for everybody but it does have some character. It works nicely for me as a wake-up tea at work or later in the day when I need a jolt of energy and concentration.

Flavors: Dark Chocolate, Malt, Pine, Sap, Sour, Sweet Potatoes

This was a fairly tasty Fujian black tea. I loved Teavivre’s unsmoked wild Lapsang Souchong and would have bought some more except I didn’t want to be saddled with a 100g bag so I purchased this one instead from Yunnan Sourcing. I found it to be an enjoyable tea yet a little too basic for my liking. The Teavivre one had an amazing depth of flavor, while this doesn’t go beyond the chocolate notes. Frankly, I’m starting to tire of super chocolatey black teas. I have several of them and they all taste very similar. I love chocolate as a flavor component but want more complexity. Often I’ll remedy this by blending with a different black tea. Below are some quick notes I jotted down while drinking it. I tried it both gongfu and western style, and preferred gongfu for its richer and slightly more complex flavor.

Leaf appearance: very thin, wiry leaves
Aroma: dry leaf has a soft fragrance of cacao nibs, malt, and blackberries. wet leaf smells predominantly of chocolate

1st steep: starts of with sweet potato and cocoa. then as it cools, transitions to a rich Ovaltine chocolate malt.
2nd steep: more chocolate comes forward, specifically dark chocolate and a hint of sweet potato
3rd steep: lighter, but smooth and syrupy sweet