Jingmai Sun-Dried "Three Aroma" Bai Mu Dan White Tea Cake

White Tea
Honey, Peppercorn, Raisins, Astringent, Beany, Bitter, Cheesecake, Cocoa, Cream, Dill, Dry Grass, Drying, Fish Broth, Floral, Green Beans, Molasses, Orchid, Parsley, Pastries, Plums, Sweet, Tart, Umami, Vegetal, White Wine, Wood, Yeast
Edit tea info Last updated by Togo

5 Images

• “I’ve been painfully waiting for TWO MONTHS for my last order of tea, it got help up in customs for like six weeks which is just crazy. Happily, it’s finally arrived and I can’t wait to try...” Read full tasting note
  • “I went for the cake instead of the loose leaf version, but now I am thinking I should have bought both for comparison. I can still get the loose leaf, but the longer I wait, the bigger difference...” Read full tasting note

From Yunnan Sourcing

This is a Yun Kang #10 varietal tea growing in Jingmai area (Lancang County of Simao) that was picked an processed in early March. The tea is picked, wilted briefly and then sun-dried. There is no kill-green (pan frying) or rolling (cellular breaking), which gives this tea a natural sweetness and no real astringency. Sweet taste, and thick and creamy in the mouth, this tea is referring to as “three aromas” as it’s dry aroma, wet leaf aroma and cup aroma are all distinctive.

Fairly similar to Fuding Sun-Dried Bai Mu Dan in processing and aroma, but with a distinctive Yunnan character.

March 2018 Harvest

We’ve pressed this tea into cakes for storage and aging!

200 Grams per cake

5 cakes per bamboo leaf tong

About Yunnan Sourcing View company

I’ve been painfully waiting for TWO MONTHS for my last order of tea, it got help up in customs for like six weeks which is just crazy. Happily, it’s finally arrived and I can’t wait to try everything out.

This white tea cake is the first one I’ve selected mostly because I haven’t drunk any white tea in a long while now and because it was the cheapest part of my order (save the best for last and such). The compression on the cake is quite nice and airy, very easy to pull apart, however the leaves are brittle and are dusting quite easily. I hope that doesn’t bring out the bitterness too much. The dry aroma is fruity and slightly floral with hints of balsamic vinegar. Very interesting nose for sure.

For this brew I used a 140ml teapot with 7.5 grams of tea (although I wish I had used a little more than that), and 85°C water. A quick wash was followed by steeps increasing in 10 or 15 second increments up to 1 minute long.

By the second or third pot the soup becomes a lovely sunset yellow/orange colour, and the flavour finally presents itself fully. I found the first couple pots to lack some flavour, perhaps this tea takes longer to “wake up”? Anyway, the taste is quite nice, but it’s not blowing me away or anything. There’s a bit of a raisin flavour mixing with peppercorn which is tasty. Not getting as many floral notes as I anticipated. The mouth feel is really what’s winning me over though, it’s very creamy and thick, thankfully with no astringency or bitterness. Nice. I think generally it’s a sweeter tea which somewhat makes up for a generic flavour profile.

All in all, a decent but forgetful white tea. The price definitely reflects the experience in this case. Also, as per the name, I did notice three distinct aromas between the dry leaves, the tea soup, and the wet leaves. Very interesting in that regard.

Flavors: Honey, Peppercorn, Raisins

mrmopar

Give it a rinse and a 10 minute period to wake up. It may change the tea brew a bit.

So Keta

Thanks for the tip, I’ll try that today.

mrmopar

White tea can be a bit harder to brew. Almost like a really fresh green can be. I think experimenting a bit to see if it makes any difference.

So Keta

Most of my experience with white tea has also been loose leaf, so a cake is a new beast altogether. I made a pot today and gave it a longer wash (20 seconds or so), that seems to have worked better. Will keep trying though.

I went for the cake instead of the loose leaf version, but now I am thinking I should have bought both for comparison. I can still get the loose leaf, but the longer I wait, the bigger difference arising from the aging there will be.

It is a very interesting tea. I would characterize it as having complex, although not pungent aromas, multifaceted, crisp and a little rough taste and a full body.

The dry leaf smells of dry grass, wood and sweet florals. In a preheated gaiwan, I also get some plum pie note on top of that. During the session, the leaves give off aromas reminiscent of dill and edamame, while the liquor is more in the way of honey, cheese cake and sweetened cocoa powder.

The taste is changing a lot and is a little confusing. At times it is more like a standard Bai Mu Dan, other times not so much. It is sweet, vegetal, savoury, tart, and astringent, with a decent amount of bitterness too. As for particular flavours, I noticed some cream cheese, parsley, fish meat and orchid, but that’s not an exhaustive list by any means. Aftertaste has quite a stong umami taste with some white wine character.

Mouthfeel of this tea is very good too. It is soft, mouth-watering at first, but later on the drying sensation starts to dominate. Moreover, the liquor is very thick once the leaves open up a bit.

This is a delicious and affordable tea. Higly recommended!

Flavors: Astringent, Beany, Bitter, Cheesecake, Cocoa, Cream, Dill, Dry Grass, Drying, Fish Broth, Floral, Green Beans, Honey, Molasses, Orchid, Parsley, Pastries, Plums, Sweet, Tart, Umami, Vegetal, White Wine, Wood, Yeast

195 °F / 90 °C 0 min, 30 sec 6 g 3 OZ / 100 ML