Winter 2018 "Snowflake Duck Shit Aroma" Dan Cong Oolong Tea

Oolong Tea
Floral, Freshly Cut Grass, Fruity, Pleasantly Sour, Vegetal
Edit tea info Last updated by Kawaii433

1 Tasting Note View all

• “Quick note while it’s still fresh in my mind. It’s really good. I had it yesterday and am having it again today. Barely oxidized, very green with fruit notes and a non-perfumey floral taste. Also...” Read full tasting note

From Yunnan Sourcing

Ya Shi Xiang Dan Cong (aka Duck Shit Aroma) is a rare Dan Cong varietal grown in and around Ping Keng Tou village in the Phoenix Mountains outside of Chaozhou in Guangdong Province.

It’s called “duck shit aroma” because in the Ping Keng Tou village area the soil has a somewhat yellow brown look to it and is unique to that area. With all teas the soil type is a key element in the tea’s taste. Villagers wanting to guard the uniqueness of their tea bushes told outsiders that the color and uniqueness of the soil in their village was due to copious amounts of duck shit and began to call the their Dan Cong “duck shit aroma”. True or not it’s an entertaining story which reveals why the tea has such a gross name.

Winter Harvest Dan Cong is also called “Snowflake Dan Cong” (雪片单枞) and has the lowest harvest quantity per bush of any Dan Cong.

Winter Harvested “Duck Shit Aroma” is the best candidate for super light oxidation, giving it a very green leaf with a fruity and floral aroma/taste and a creamy mouth-feel.

Winter 2018 Harvest

About Yunnan Sourcing View company

1 Tasting Note

Quick note while it’s still fresh in my mind. It’s really good. I had it yesterday and am having it again today. Barely oxidized, very green with fruit notes and a non-perfumey floral taste. Also TGY-ish. Super creamy mouth-feel and sweet finish. I really feel my “tea analysis ability” shortcomings today… lol. There are no review notes on this one so thought I’d write a quick one in hoping others will try this and review it.

Yixing teapot, 6.2g, rinse, 13 steeps, 5s, 10s, 15s (I’m right here right now), 20s, 25s, 30s, 40s, 50s, 1m, 1m30s, 2m, 2m30s, 3m

This was my second favorite out of the Dan Congs I tried yesterday.

Flavors: Floral, Freshly Cut Grass, Fruity, Pleasantly Sour, Vegetal

200 °F / 93 °C 0 min, 15 sec 6 g 4 OZ / 130 ML
Kittenna

That’s a really appetizing name for a tea…

Kawaii433