2019 Xiaguan "Sweet Pu-erh" Ripe Pu-erh Tea Cake

Pu-erh Tea
Decayed wood, Sour, Sweet, Wood
Edit tea info Last updated by Togo

1 Tasting Note View all

• “This is a very basic pu-erh: wood, decay, a bit sour, a bit sweet. No complexity and the flavors do not blend well. I can’t find anything outright bad, but also nothing good or just memorable....” Read full tasting note

From Yunnan Sourcing

This is a very nice ripe pu-erh tea production from Xiaguan called “Sweet Pu-erh” (甘普洱). It was pressed in 2019 (from 2017-2018 material) into generously sized 357 gram cakes. Perfect size for aging and an incredible bargain!

Smooth and sweet ripe pu-erh that will age wonderfully in the coming years. Enjoy now or age some for future enjoyment!

357 Grams per cake (7 cakes in paper tong and gift box)

About Yunnan Sourcing View company

1 Tasting Note

This is a very basic pu-erh: wood, decay, a bit sour, a bit sweet. No complexity and the flavors do not blend well. I can’t find anything outright bad, but also nothing good or just memorable. Also, I failed to see any signs that it will get better with time. Well, at least it lacks any fishiness.

There are many inexpensive shous that are more interesting and enjoyable. I still have an almost entire cake of it left and it will probably be a slog to finish.

Flavors: Decayed wood, Sour, Sweet, Wood

ashmanra

Have you tried cold steeping in the fridge, unsweetened? Cold shu is one of the most refreshing things to me in hot summer! It would be a great way to deplete your stock quickly.

Bluegreen

Thank you for the suggestions. Unfortunately, I cannot drink tea in any other form but hot: not warm, not cold. But this shou is drinkable just utterly unenjoyable for me.The lesson is to always get a sample before committing to a cake.
I will try experimenting in mixing this tea with whatever I have on hand in terms of spices to create a puerh version of the Indian chai.

Togo

Let us know what you find out from the experiment :)
I’ve been meaning to try to make “shou masala”, but still haven’t gotten around doing that.

mrmopar

This one is really young. I would let it air out and try in another year. You may be able to put some budget sheng with it and make a mix of the two.