2010 Yunnan Sourcing "Bu Lang Jie Liang"

Pu-erh Tea
Bitter, Sweet, Thick, Wood, Mineral, Smoke
Bulk, Loose Leaf
Edit tea info Last updated by Jiāng Luo

• “Started out with a thicker mouth feel which was good. Not too much of the Bulang kick to it, but I suppose this is 7 years old now so that’s to be expected. As it sits now this tea is good, but a ...” Read full tasting note
  • “I forgot to submit this note yesterday and it got deleted, but I didn’t get to steep the tea for too long, so I saved the leaves to continue with today. Yesterday’s steeps mostly brought forth...” Read full tasting note
  • “I’m going to refrain from rating this tea because I think I may have infused it incorrectly somehow. It was overwhelmingly bitter for me from the first cup. I did enjoy the flavours beneath the...” Read full tasting note
  • “Brewing this up as I have been retasting a lot of stuff in storage . I brought this one out and picked 10 grams off to start with. I warmed my Shiboridash and let the water out I tossed the dry...” Read full tasting note

From Yunnan Tea Sourcing

This tea cake is made entirely from spring 2010 Jie Liang Village tea! Jie Liang is a Bu Lang Mountain village about 10 miles west of Lao Man’e village in the county of Menghai. Jie Liang tea is also bitter but with a sweet and full after-taste and a protracted mouth-feeling. It is an incredibly energetic tea with tons of character and depth. This is a tea we are confident will age well!

Harvest: late March 2010
Pressing date: May 2010
Area: Jie Liang village of Bu Lang mountains, Menghai county of Xishuangbanna

About Yunnan Tea Sourcing View company

Started out with a thicker mouth feel which was good. Not too much of the Bulang kick to it, but I suppose this is 7 years old now so that’s to be expected. As it sits now this tea is good, but a bit caught between stages. I think this will be great in a few more years and wish I had more than just the 5g sample.

Yesterday’s steeps mostly brought forth woody flavors with a nice, thick mouthfeel. There was some bitterness at the beginning, and every session was quite enjoyable.

Today’s steep was sweet from the start. A bit less thick, but still nice and smooth, with no bitterness or astringency. Finished up with a long steep, in which the thickness returned. Definitely enjoyed this one!

Flavors: Bitter, Sweet, Thick, Wood

Boiling 0 min, 15 sec 8 g 3 OZ / 100 ML

I’m going to refrain from rating this tea because I think I may have infused it incorrectly somehow. It was overwhelmingly bitter for me from the first cup. I did enjoy the flavours beneath the bitterness, however. Perhaps my water was a little hotter than I thought, or my ability to measure time without a clock was faulty and I over-stewed the leaves. If I had more than a sample I might try with a lower temp and / or shorter time.

Brewing this up as I have been retasting a lot of stuff in storage .
I brought this one out and picked 10 grams off to start with. I warmed my Shiboridash and let the water out I tossed the dry leaf in and swirled it around. The aroma was a bit of the heavy tobacco to the nose. I gave it a rinse and let it sit a bit before brewing. The aroma is woody and sweetish in the cup.
First infusion, it has some of that thick almost bitter that belies its BuLang source. The color is a nice light amber in the cup. I sit back and let the tea rest in the mouth . The thickness and tobacco come to the front. A little mineral and a whisper of some smoke.
I have had some BuLangs that will smack you in the chops. This one is a bit more tame. It may even be one you could introduce a newer drinker to the BuLang area.
Later steeps carry through. I let this one cool a bit and it became almost sugarcane sweet.

Flavors: Bitter, Mineral, Smoke, Sweet, Thick, Wood

205 °F / 96 °C 0 min, 15 sec 10 g 10 OZ / 295 ML
tanluwils

I’m on the hunt for a shibo at the moment. They seem a lot less cumbersome than regular gaiwans. Is yours glazed?

mrmopar

@tanluwils it is. I got it from Greenwood Studio on Etsy.