Ocharaka #H04: Houjicha Japanese Pumpkin

Green Herbal Blend
Flavouring, Green Tea, Linden, Marigold
Chocolate, Nutty, Roasted, Sweet, Zucchini, Autumn Leaf Pile, Butternut Squash, Sweet Potatoes
Low
Edit tea info Last updated by Anlina

2 Images

• “I’m not much of a houjicha person – I’m just starting to appreciate roasted teas more – but when I saw these flavoured hoijicha on Yunomi and then reviews here, I was really intrigued. This is...” Read full tasting note
  • “This was my other purchase from Yunomi. I’ve been pondering over these flavored houjichas for a while now, and decided this was the most unusual flavor and the one I wanted to try first. The...” Read full tasting note

From Yunomius

Japanese pumpkin (kabocha) flavored houjicha roasted green tea blend. Recommended as a milk tea. Includes ingredients Linden (also known as basswood), Marigold (tagetes).

Ingredients: Green tea leaves grown in Japan, Linden (also known as basswood), Marigold (tagetes), flavoring

About Yunomius View company

This is really excellent. The dry leaf is rich and roasty smelling, with a note that keeps making me think really milky milk chocolate, but I don’t think it’s actually chocolate.

I’ve tried this twice, once steeped per the directions on the packet – 2tsp, 2min, 90C, and once as a latte, 2tsp, 94C, extended steep and then into the blender with sugar and warm milk. It is awesome both ways.

The flavour of it is just so soothing and relaxing. It’s sweet and delicately roasty, with that same note that I want to associate with chocolate, and then there’s a lovely flavour of roasted pumpkin seeds (shelled) and just a hint of zucchini.

I’m really into this as an evening drink. It feels like the perfect thing to sip while winding down.
Thank you to Yunomi for the sample!

Flavors: Chocolate, Nutty, Roasted, Sweet, Zucchini

This was my other purchase from Yunomi. I’ve been pondering over these flavored houjichas for a while now, and decided this was the most unusual flavor and the one I wanted to try first. The packaging was pretty cute, though not resealable (http://instagram.com/p/wWy1temgAn/). It’s the large kraft packet. I will say, 30 grams is a lot more than I expected, I suppose because this is a very lightweight tea. It also appears to be more of a houji-kukicha than a houjicha – it’s almost all stems. This is actually a good thing, since I prefer the kukicha version personally. Dry scent is extremely rich and creamy, almost as if there’s some kind of dairy element involved.

This is actually quite delicious! I can taste the lovely mildly roasty kukicha base quite clearly. However, I can also taste the lovely and rich Japanese pumpkin flavor, which actually reminds me quite a bit of butternut squash mixed with sweet potato. It’s creamy and decadent. The description recommends this as a milk tea, and I’m sure it would be phenomenal that way. Will definitely try it! :)

Find this tea here: https://yunomi.us/shop/13439/ocharaka-h04-houjicha-japanese-pumpkin-30g-id-13439/?ref=12

Flavors: Autumn Leaf Pile, Butternut Squash, Roasted, Sweet Potatoes

TeaBrat

Did you get the Baked Apple? I have been curious about these.

Cameron B.

No, just this one. I definitely plan on trying the others now, this is quite good and I’m especially happy that it’s mostly stems!

Fjellrev

Cool, I haven’t heard of them until now. You don’t see flavoured houjicha every day.

Cameron B.

Totally, the only other flavored houjichas I’ve seen are caramel. I actually really want to try the Honey & Grapefruit!

Kittenna

Very interesting! And suddenly, another company’s on my radar. Haha.

Cameron B.

Yunomi doesn’t have a lot of flavored teas, but the ones they do have are very unique and interesting. :)

OMGsrsly

I have one of their matcha latte mixes, but haven’t tried it yet. These sound super cool, though. And I love pumpkin. :)