The DAVIDsTEA Digital Thermometer & Timer is very well designed and easy to use once you’ve become familiar with it.
Its has six advantages:
1. The digital thermometer is very quick reading. (Analog models are not fast enough for this application.)
2. The temperature range is specifically designed for tea in one degree increments – both Celsius & Fahrenheit.
(Other kitchen thermometers that may be handy, such as meat has a max of 190*F in 5 or 10 degree increments or candy has a max of 400*F in 5 degree increments)
3. This digital thermometer beeps to alert you that the water has reached the appropriate temperature for the type tea being brewed.
4. A built-in digital timer – Once the infuser has been placed in the water, you press the timer start button. The next time it beeps, your tea is ready to enjoy.
5. Convenience: There are 8 pre-set temps and times for steeping white, green, oolong, black, pu’erh, rooibos, maté or herbal tea.
6. Custom mode: Allows selecting the appropriate combination of time & temp for any tea.
Being able to accurately determine the precise brewing temperature and duration allows one achieve tea-appropriate infusions consistently thus reducing potential frustration and maximizing the tea drinking experience. Highly recommended.
This unit does not feature user-defined presets. However, it can be easily adjusted for the appropriate time & temp for any tea: http://steepster.com/discuss/156-tea-thermometer-recommendations?post_id=91599#forum_post_91599