Here’s a surprise: I opened the package of Big Dark Leaf and it appears to be filled with big dark leaves! They’re big, twisty, and deep green-brown. Dry aroma reminds me of green beans. Brews a medium yellow, a bit lighter than the Ya Shi Xiang.

Smooth taste with a strong mineral note, green wood, and a bit of half-ripe tangerine rind. Excellent aroma of honeysuckle, citrus, and warm candle. Whereas the Ya Shi Xiang had definite buttery mouthfeel, this tea is more light and clean; maybe watered down milk. There’s a bit of astringency, but practically zero bitterness.

While I prefer roasty-er oolongs, this is a very nice lighter roast and I prefer it to the Ya Shi Xiang.

Flavors: Citrus Zest, Green Wood, Honeysuckle, Mineral

205 °F / 96 °C 0 min, 15 sec 7 g 3 OZ / 100 ML

My name is Thomas,

I’m a long time coffee and tea lover, but only started my journey into the world of loose leaf and high quality teas about six years ago.

My favorites are pu’erhs, Yunnan blacks, and roasted oolongs, but really enjoy greens when they’re fresh. I’m not much into flavored teas or jasmine/florals, but I love a good cup of chai or adding a spice or two to my teas sometimes.

Currently working on a degree in nursing.

Other than tea I’m a nature lover, guitar picker, and unabashed nerd.

My Rating Scale: