Brews a light gold color. Tastes of pine, dried flowers, minerals, and incense. Slight brown sugar sweetness. There is a little bit of aged taste starting to develop, more than I would expect from a tea that’s blended 2015 and 2016 material. Compared to the 2017 not-so-ancient-tree Hekai, the taste is much more bitter and astringent, though I would still only call it moderately bitter. The mouthfeel is a bit thin, but it has a strong lingering aroma in the mouth. As I drink it I get a bit of the qi feels.

This one is definitely better than Teavivre’s cheaper Hekai. Good, but not outstanding.

Flavors: Autumn Leaf Pile, Brown Sugar, Flowers, Mineral, Pine

205 °F / 96 °C 0 min, 15 sec 6 g 3 OZ / 90 ML
looseTman

Have you tried any of TeaVivre’s current shou?

tperez

I haven’t, I tried a couple a few years back, but I don’t think their selling the same ones anymore.

tanluwils

Have you tried Chawangshop’s 2016 Hekai Gushu?

tperez

I’ve actually never ordered from Chawangshop, I’ve been thinking about it for a while but always end up sticking with YS. Any favorites?

Comments

looseTman

Have you tried any of TeaVivre’s current shou?

tanluwils

Have you tried Chawangshop’s 2016 Hekai Gushu?

Hi, my name is Thomas
*(Hi, Thomas!)*
And I’ve been addicted to fine tea since 2011
*(Woohoo!)*

My favorites are pu’erhs, hong cha, and roasted oolongs, but really enjoy greens when they’re fresh. I’m not much into flavored teas or jasmine/florals, but I love a good cup of chai or adding a spice or two to my teas sometimes.

Currently working on a degree in nursing.

Other than tea I love the outdoors, playing guitar, making ceramics, building things, gardening, and I aspire to keep bees some day when my living situation allows for it.

I started a blog in February 2018:
TheMellifiedCup.Wordpress.com

When I give a tea a numerical rating it’s simply meant to reflect a balance of how well I enjoyed the tea and how it compares to others of the same style. I don’t follow any universal rating criteria, and my ratings are mainly meant for my own use, to remember what I though of a tea and if I want to repurchase.

Clearwater, FL