dborregoa said

Help finding a Gaiwan

Hello everyone.
I need help finding a specific type of brewing vessel.

On a recent trip to Florida I found an Asian import store and bought a gaiwan. I’m not 100% it is actually a gaiwan, but it looks somewhat similar. Basically, it looks like a cross between a gaiwan and a teapot. Imagine a gaiwan with a handle, pouring spout, and a built in ceramic filter. The shop owner told me it was specifically designed for oolong teas, but the thing is so convenient and effective I am now using it exclusively. It sure brews a fine cup of sencha. Another thing is that it holds between 4 and 5 ounces of water, the perfect amount for me.

The thing is so perfect for me that I am afraid to loose it (I tend to break these things often). Normally I wouldn’t care, but I’ve been trying to find another one to have as a replacement and have been unable to find one on ebay, lifeinteacup.com, and other sources. Part of the problem might be that it’s not called a gaiwan, I’m not sure.

Does anyone here know what kind of brewing vessel I’m talking about? if so, do you know where I might find more?

Any help will be appreciated.


7 Replies

I kind of know what you are talking about, but a photo will help more.
Most of these kind of “gaiwan” range from $5 to $40. I think you can find some close to the lower price range on yunnansourcing.com or Dragon Teahouse on ebay (but probably without a handle). There must be a few sites selling higher price range of this type of products but I don’t remember where I saw them.

Besides, you may also search for hobin (or houhin) or a shiboridashi? They are perfect for Japanese green tea, but I also use a couple of them for oolong. You may find some similarities between them and the teapot type of gaiwan.

Login or sign up to post a message.

Will said

Some places call this a cebei.

See, e.g.,

You can also look in Chinese herb stores or supermarkets if there are any around. the good news is that these usually aren’t expensive.

Login or sign up to post a message.

We call it a “gai”. We happen to carry some, both white. One is shiny glazed and the other has more of a matte finish.


Login or sign up to post a message.

I’ve seen these on ebay, called a gaibei, but I just found two when searching with the terms “chinese tea set” and then sorting through the results that came up…. they were just mingled in…. and not expensive :)

Login or sign up to post a message.

za-hi said
Message deleted by author.
Will said

“Ru kiln” refers to a type of cracked-glaze porcelain, not to a specific type of brewing vessel.

Will said

The OP doesn’t mention the type of finish; they just mentioned the shape and style of brewing vessel they want (which isn’t really a gaiwan at all).

Login or sign up to post a message.

Login or sign up to leave a comment.