Bao Zhong Royale Oolong

Oolong Tea
Butter, Cream, Floral, Orchid, Paper
Edit tea info Last updated by __Morgana__

From American Tea Room

Thanks to its incredibly sweet, floral taste, Bao Zhong Royale is an artisanal oolong with mass appeal.

At around ten percent oxidation, Bao Zhong Royale is a lightly oxidized oolong, but don’t let that turn you away from it – unlike lesser light-oxidation oolongs, our Bao Zhong Royale lacks the brazen vegetal notes that detract from the floral complexity Bao Zhong has to offer.

Grown in Ping Lin Taiwain, our Bao Zhong is twisted into wiry leaf formations with deep, variegated green hues. During processing, the delicate leaves are wrapped in paper for protection from damage. This years production was harvested in limited quantities from April 1 – 3, 2010.

The pale-butter-colored infusion smells of sweet jasmine, narcissus, orchid, lilac and lily, with delicate green undertones. The flavor is intensely buttery, creamy and floral, with hints of firewood, stonefruit and dried, unsweetened coconut. There is no astringency in the smooth, delicate, floral aftertaste, making this tea ideal for new tea drinkers and connoisseurs alike.

Like our Dong Ding Oolong, Bao Zhing Royale withstands multiple infusions and gets creamier as it cools. Katie, the “Tea Mistress” in charge of tea education at American Tea Room, considers Bao Zhong Royale to be a “top five” favorite tea.

About American Tea Room View company

Seems another case of, “really nice, but Butiki’s has an edge, not that I’d say no to either if offered of course”. I really like paper wrapped oolongs it seems, which is kind of surprising given I usually shy away from delicate “girly” floral teas in favor of smoky or roasty or thick ones. Definitely wouldn’t satisfy one of my classic “jonesing for strong black tea” moods, but on a sunny work afternoon as a little light lovely breather I welcome these kinds of oolongs.

Mmmm. Uber-fresh, floral, and creamy. This is one of the nicest Bao Zhongs I’ve had in awhile.

For a lightly oxidized oolong- this is wonderful. No vegetative taste, Just light and floral. In fact, this has opened my eyes to lighter oolongs. So far, I have been pleased w/the quality of the American Tea Room.

Tastes like lightly roasted white flowers with bits of peach. Soft jasmine-like aroma.

There’s a slight nuttiness and tartness in the aftertaste—like chestnuts and cherries. Interesting!

Wow, this is truly an amazing tea _ I was not expecting to like it as much as I did!
I must have brewed this perfectly – there was a sweet honey-suckle taste. When I mean that it was floral, it was truly floral. You can’t miss it. Wow.
I used their suggestion and steeped for 7 minutes.

The scent of the steeped tea is very light and floral. It is also sugary-sweet.

The taste when very hot is almost unnoticeable, I’ll have to wait for it to cool for better tasting.

As it cools the floral notes come out along with a smooth, coating feeling with a hint of the seedy/nuttiness common to Oolongs. The floral tones are the majority of the flavor, for sure. The more it cools the more intense the flowers get, but never perfume-ish. Very pleasant.

I’ve not been very impressed with the Oolongs I ordered from American Tea Room. This one is quite nice and my favorite, easily, out of those I have.

American Tea Room

We are most sorry that you have not like our teas. Most of our teas – especially our oolongs are very highly regarded. If I might inquire have you been following our steeping instructions on the label and using spring or filtered water? I find our Bao Zhong very appealing and it is among the favorites of all of our teas, but then again that is just me.

Creamy, buttery sweet. I don’t even like floral teas much, but this was nice.

When I ordered from the American Tea Room, they were kind enough to include a couple samples that I have been dying to try. Since I am really craving an oolong tea today I decided to try the Bao Zhong Royale Oolong. According to their website, this is a lightly fermented oolong which normally means there is a vegetal taste. Now this is great for folks who like green tea but personally I prefer to get my vegetables in other forms.

This is a unique looking oolong in that the leaves look like they have been carefully folded lengthwise. Apparently during processing, the leaves are wrapped into paper to protect them. It has a delightful aroma of jasmine, lilac and amber.

I set up my teamaker using a temperature setting of 200 degrees. According to the instructions on the package, the steep time should be seven minutes but I have never steeped an oolong over 3 minutes for a first steep so I did cut that back. Especially as I tend to resteep oolongs at least a couple times.

This tea brews up a very pale clear gold and the aroma is to die for. When I close my eyes and just take in the scents, I feel as though I am in a garden with jasmine, orchids, and lilacs. I have to admit that it has always amazed me the aromas that a pure tea can give off and I am sure that my husband thinks that I am really loosing it as I am wandering around the house sniffing my tea rather than drinking it.

But I really have to actually taste the tea to give it a fair rating and I have to say that the taste does not disappoint. It has a creamy texture with that slight oiliness on the tongue that you get from the best oolongs. The taste is naturally sweet and you can taste the flowers. I am also able to pick up hints of plums and fresh coconut. There is a slight dryness at the end of each sip that has you reaching for more along with a lingering aftertaste of jasmine.

1926 tasting notes

Playing count-the-oolongs left in the cupboard without tasting notes isn’t nearly as fun as the black tea and green tea exercise because it is just a reminder of my embarrassing excess.

I have 40 oolongs in the cupboard that have yet to be tasted or written about.

And that number is also misleading, because I have many more oolong samples that aren’t entered in the cupboard.

There’s only one thing to do: persist.

I’m a little upset about this one. I had it all ready to go for a tasting last weekend, sitting in the gaiwan. And then I got busy and forgot about it.

I was going to resume where I left off today, but discovered that my house cleaners tossed the unused tea and washed the gaiwan. Nice of them to wash the gaiwan, but I wish they’d realized it had tea that should be preserved in it.

So I have less of this than I thought I had, and because it is an ATR tea, there won’t be more.

Anyway. Steeped in the gaiwan at 195F with short steeps after rinsing starting at 15 seconds.

Have any of you found that your interest in tea has led to some insights about yourself?

Mine has.

I never thought of myself as a type A person, or as someone who is constantly on the go. I’ve always had an impatient streak, but not because I had too much to do and needed to get on to the next thing. Just because I’m wired that way. Which is amusing because I have a reputation at work for being much more patient than other people.

I do think of myself as someone who throws herself into whatever she’s doing rather completely, which pushes out of the picture time for other things. But eventually, because of that intensity I burn out and turn to one or more of those other things. Which is why I drop off of Steepster for months and years at a time.

But now, I think there’s a real possibility I have developed adult onset ADHD. I’m constantly interrupted by emails and instant messages at work, so I’m constantly having to shift mental focus from one thing to another. Also, the older I get the more I find I have to do. So sometimes I just have to cut things short to move on to the next thing that must get done.

Today I have to get my hair cut and colored, but I also want to work out and it’s almost noon already. So watch me totally fail to savor this tea for the number of steeps it probably deserves. Generally, I can sit through about 4 or 5 steeps without feeling compelled to move on to the next thing.

I am hopeful, though, that after I race through the exercise of tasting everything I have at least once, I’ll feel the internal pressure to do so lifted and will be able to revisit some of these from a more relaxed place.

So. About this tea.

In the packet, it has a floral, green aroma. Of the flowers listed in the description, I definitely smell orchid and lilac. I am not sure I know what narcissus smells like. I don’t smell jasmine, or at least I don’t smell it as a differentiated aroma. When I think of lily smell, I think of the vanilla of stargazer lilies and I don’t smell that here either.

The tea is a medium butter-golden yellow that darkens with longer steeps. It has a butter-cream, floral smell.

The flavor is everything I like about greener oolongs. Buttery, floral, flavorful but delicate. It’s mild, not astringent, not bitter. There are a couple of unexpected aspects to it, one of which is that I sort of taste the paper that’s described as a wrapping. It’s not nearly as prominent as the paper flavor in some decafs, though. And the other of which is that the tea doesn’t seem to have much of a grassy or vegetal quality. It’s pretty much flowered butter, all the time.

I’m really upset about the loss of the gaiwan full of tea now. I like this a lot.

Flavors: Butter, Cream, Floral, Orchid, Paper