Alishan High Mountain Oolong

Bulk, Loose Leaf
Edit tea info Last updated by LuckyMe

2 Images

1 Tasting Note View all

• “Backlog. This was one of those teas that smelled amazing but the taste didn’t match the aroma. The plump dark green nuggets have the fragrance of creamy vanilla orchids. Following a rinse,...” Read full tasting note

From Eco-Cha Artisan Teas

We are very excited about our newly discovered source of Alishan High Mountain Tea. It is a residential farm, run by a husband and wife team, with an onsite factory, and surrounded by pine and bamboo forest. It embodies pretty much everything we aspire to support in the local industry, and represent to tea lovers around the world. This homestead farm is among the highest elevation farms in the valley, with only small neighboring plots of tea, but no residential development above it. We have a great feeling about the people and the environment that sustainably produce this quality High Mountain Tea from the Alishan region.

About Eco-Cha Artisan Teas View company

1 Tasting Note

Backlog.

This was one of those teas that smelled amazing but the taste didn’t match the aroma. The plump dark green nuggets have the fragrance of creamy vanilla orchids. Following a rinse, there’s a sweet aroma of custard, coconut, and wildflowers. Sadly, none of the aromas come through in the flavor of the brewed tea.

The first steep is thin and vegetal. Sweet buttered peas with floral undertones. The florals become a bit brighter in the 2nd and 3rd steeps but the flavor is still mostly vegetal and there’s just very little to it. No mouthfeel to speak of and it tasted weak, making me think that I underbrewed. Overleafing and increasing steep time and temperature did little to improve the flavor.

I would describe the flavor of this tea as closer to a green tea or four seasons spring. Not a bad tasting tea, but very light and not as good as other AliShans I’ve had.

Flavors: Cream, Custard, Floral, Peas, Vegetal

205 °F / 96 °C 1 min, 0 sec 4 g 3 OZ / 100 ML
Daylon R Thomas

I’ve wanted more notes of this on steepster, and I’m glad you wrote it because it basically confirmed what I could guess about that tea. Have you or anyone you know tried Eco-Cha’s Li Shan yet?

LuckyMe

I haven’t but this year’s crop seems to be weak all around. I tried Eco-Cha’s Jin Xuan this morning – a tea I really liked last year – and it was the same story. Mouthwatering aroma but tasted very watered down. I’m afraid the Shan Lin Xi will be no different. Luckily I only got 20g samples.

Once I drink down my Eco-Cha teas, I’m going to order some green oolongs from What-Cha as their Taiwanese oolongs seem consistently good from season to season.

Daylon R Thomas

I was about to order some Li Shan from What-Cha (57 bucks for 8 oz is not bad compared to others) but I am still waiting on some Li Shan from Berylleb. I hope it arrives soon.