Pear Mountain Oolong (Winter Pick)

Oolong Tea
Artificial, Butter, Cheesecake, Cinnamon, Cream, Floral, Green, Mineral, Nutty
Edit tea info Last updated by Togo

• “I ordered the whole Pear Mountain sampler with 4 different harvest times and drank them all today. This one is my least favourite I’d say. The dry leaf smell is very similar to the fall pick, but I...” Read full tasting note
  • “I’m bumping up the rating as I’ve discovered its potential in Western and tumbler brewing. I’ve gotten headier florals like osmanthus and a little bit more pineapple in the finish, and more...” Read full tasting note

From Mountain Stream Teas

A favorite of this tea company, this Pear Mountain Oolong has all the markers of a world class tea. Clear beginnings to a sweet and sour stone fruit finish that lingers on the palate for hours. The classic butter mouthfeel of high mountain Taiwanese oolongs is enhanced by the beautiful flavors of this 2000m high terroir.

Elevation: 2000m
Status: Certified Organic
Cultivar: QinXin
Oxidization: 25%
Season: Winter 2017
Method: Hand picked, processed on site, very small batch
Region: Lishan(Pear Mountain), Nantou

Recommend Brewing Style:

Gong Fu Style: 3-5g per 100ml, ~100C water, 30, 45, 60 then add 5-10 seconds steeps in gaiwan. Lasts 4-5 steeps.

Western Style: 3g per 100ml, ~100c water for 3 minutes. Lasts 2-3 steeps.

About Mountain Stream Teas View company

I ordered the whole Pear Mountain sampler with 4 different harvest times and drank them all today. This one is my least favourite I’d say. The dry leaf smell is very similar to the fall pick, but I find it sweeter and greener. The wet leaf has more of an artificial, sweet gum aroma. Taste is kind of like a green tea, but more floral. Overall, it is not too interesting though. Aftertaste is more intriguing. There are notes of cinnamon, cream cheese, nuts and minerals. The mouthfeel is quite thin, buttery, watery and slightly drying.

Flavors: Artificial, Butter, Cheesecake, Cinnamon, Cream, Floral, Green, Mineral, Nutty

205 °F / 96 °C 0 min, 45 sec 5 g 3 OZ / 100 ML

I’m bumping up the rating as I’ve discovered its potential in Western and tumbler brewing. I’ve gotten headier florals like osmanthus and a little bit more pineapple in the finish, and more cucumber in the body. I was impressed with how much sweeter it was despite losing some viscosity. I used a simple french press, which I never press with actual tea giving me a huge cup, and then I finished it off today with a new tumbler with a removable cup and a large chamber for leaves. It was magical and sweet tonight, with the iris, osmanthus, and other floral hints ending with a sweet finish, again like cucumber or perhaps pineapple, but then better described at the moment like green grapes. It was refreshing to say the least, and thickened out in the next four rebrews reclaming its general floral fruity and fresh body combo. If you get this tea, it might be better suited for tumblers with open space or western sessions. It surprised me that I did not enjoy it as much gong fu, but I have a bit of a sweet craving tongue when it comes to my gaoshans.