Grand Pouchong

Oolong Tea
Almond, Roasted, Smoke
Edit tea info Last updated by Jason

From Tavalon Tea

A lightly oxidized oolong tea with a subtle, sweet aroma and complex flavor.

Sommelier’s notes:
8 oz water (180F) | 2 tsp loose tea | steep 5 minutes
with a light meal

About Tavalon Tea View company

Tavalon's goal is not only to create the best tea blends the world has ever known, but also to cater these tea blends to the American palate. We aim to become a tea company for both tea connoisseurs and newcomers to the tea world, providing premium teas and accessories to a global audience.

I received a sachet of this as a free sample with my most recent order.

It is DELIGHTFUL. The toasted nut flavor is intense for a lighter bodied tea. It has a very pleasing mouthfeel, soft and not too thick. A very nice caramel-y backdrop to it.

Very pleasant… I’m off to write a review for it which will appear later this month on the SororiTEA Sisters blog!

For whatever reason I didn’t get the water as hot as I usually do for a second steeping and the result was a subtle flavor and maybe a little weak, but not unpleasant.

1925 tasting notes

The theme for the day appears to be pouchong.

I thought I had two jars of this? I can only find one, but that may just mean the other one is buried somewhere…

The leaves on this one are much darker than the green pouchong from Canton Teas that I just had. Dark chocolatey brown and twisty. They smell roasty to the point of smoky.

Gaiwan. 195F. Rinse. 15 seconds + 5 for each subsequent steep. I did four.

The tea is somewhere between medium gold and butter yellow, with an amber tinge. I definitely smell roasty toasty, and that’s mostly what I got on the first steep. But the second and later steeps revealed something else hat my tastebuds tell me is almond. A very definite flavor of raw almond.

The tea has a soft mouthfeel and is milder than I thought it would be given the roasty notes.

After the second steep, the flavor is fairly consistent and I think the leaves could have gone on for a while. It just wasn’t the right flavor for me today so I was content to stop at four.

It’s a flavorful dark roasted oolong with an interesting almond note. I’m not sure whether it’s just the day, or whether it’s the tea, or whether it’s me, but while it was plenty tasty it didn’t knock my socks off.

Flavors: Almond, Roasted, Smoke