Mi Lan Xiang Dancong

Oolong Tea
Oolong Tea Leaves
Fruity, Honey, Narcissus, Peach, Roasted, Spices, Stonefruits, Apple, Apricot, Green Apple, Lemon, Lychee, Pear, Floral, Guava, Pineapple, Toasty, Wood
Organic
Edit tea info Last updated by eastkyteaguy

• “I seldom review a tea twice but I feel I was too hard on this tea in my first review. The house was freezing today and I was craving something roasty to warm me up. Normally I time all my steeps,...” Read full tasting note
  • “Going with 3-4g, 200F, 90ml. Started off with a 5s wash. The aroma post wash was wonderful! lychee, apple, apple wood, lemon, pear, prune, and a roasted smell (when smelling the leaves directly)...” Read full tasting note
  • “As I’m pulling out Christmas decorations, I’m sipping down some of my oolong samples from my tea friend. This tea is also dark and a little toasty, which is a nice warming flavor for a winter...” Read full tasting note
  • “This tastes like some sort of sour green apple candy, in an amazing way. woody, earth, lychee, during the second cup I feel so relaxed and calm that I was having a hard time moving my cup all the...” Read full tasting note

From Verdant Tea

Huang Ruiguang’s family Mi Lan Dancong is picked only once a year from single trees that are not pruned back to encourage deeper roots & more robust flavor, year after year. His mountain plot and decades of work in improving agriculture techniques for the region have earned Huang Ruiguang’s Milan awards such as the recent 2015 Gold Medal at the Sixth Guangdong Tea Expo. Mi Lan varietal is set apart with its distinctive golden green leaf color in early spring & its luscious deep aromatics.

About Verdant Tea View company

I seldom review a tea twice but I feel I was too hard on this tea in my first review. The house was freezing today and I was craving something roasty to warm me up. Normally I time all my steeps, but was feeling lazy and decided to wing it on the steeps. I really enjoyed how it tasted today. The spice and roasted stone fruit notes provided some much needed warmth and comfort. Bumping up my rating for this tea.

Flavors: Peach, Roasted, Spices, Stonefruits

Boiling 0 min, 15 sec 4 g 4 OZ / 110 ML

Going with 3-4g, 200F, 90ml.

Started off with a 5s wash. The aroma post wash was wonderful!

lychee, apple, apple wood, lemon, pear, prune, and a roasted smell (when smelling the leaves directly) come about. I would reckon this to be my first true ‘fruity’ tea (when excluding herbal teas)

Larger leaves, so gotta steep slow.

After going through several steeps, I would have to say the taste profile was just like the wash aroma, but I would reckon it to be a tad more ‘bitter’. I did not detect any profound changes in flavour, just reduction in intensity as the further steeps were reached.

One nice, or perhaps bad depending on your perspective, of this tea is the aftertaste. The aftertaste maintains the fruityness of the tea itself, and it lingers for quite a long duration.

Due to the physical properties of the tea, I do not recommend gongfu’ing this tea with a lower amount of tea leaves like the 3g that I did. Normally this isn’t too much of a big deal, but your tea experience will suffer if you skimp out on tea leaf amount. I settled for 3g because that was the last of the tea that I had remaining.

Flavors: Apple, Apricot, Green Apple, Lemon, Lychee, Pear, Roasted

200 °F / 93 °C 0 min, 15 sec 3 g 3 OZ / 90 ML

This tea is also dark and a little toasty, which is a nice warming flavor for a winter night. There’s a light floral flavor that, when combined with the roast, kind of tastes like roasted flowers. It works.

What I didn’t care for in this tea was the fruit element. The site says it’s lychee. I wouldn’t know, having never tried lychee. To me it’s that wild kind of funk that is translated by my brain as chemical. It’s tolerable, but not my favorite flavor.

Daylon R Thomas

Going for a lychee black tea or a Dianhong with that profile is a better idea. Mi Lans usually have a grapefruit thing going on with the honey note.

Hoálatha

Grapefruit! That’s what it was! I’ve been having trouble putting words to flavors these days, so thanks.

Daylon R Thomas

The joys of tasting notes and the imagination lol

This tastes like some sort of sour green apple candy, in an amazing way. woody, earth, lychee, during the second cup I feel so relaxed and calm that I was having a hard time moving my cup all the way up to my mouth, there’s definitely some florals here and what I almost want to say is honey, but the texture.. Okay the texture is incredible, it’s so silky smooth but it’s also thick, tonguing it a little before swallowing feels like I’m moving my tongue through hot, thick air, also there is a lot more lychee in steep 4 than when I first noticed the note, that’s wonderful. This tea looks thicker, the colour is a bit more opaque than the others that I’ve tried, a nice thick yellow-orange, as opposed to the mustard yellow I’ve been seeing, the lychee turns into something like pear with some.. pineapple? maybe guava, with a bit of toastiness, the tropical fruit only lasted one steep, it moves to a sweeter, deeper red appley kind of taste, even slightly reminiscent of apple pie, there’s still lychee there though, through it all. I get a peachy lemony lychee brew after that.

this one was so deliciously fruity! I love that I had the chocolatey dark one, the ya shi, the floral one, da wu ye, and now this. I really was expecting these to taste a lot more like eachother than they have been, considering my inexperience (the first time I tried a few different pu’ers they all tasted the same to me) all of this variety from one farm, plus the next 2 that I have to get to, (the two that came in 10g sizes, vs the 15g and one 25g, which makes me think/hope they’ll be the fanciest) smell lighter and very aromatic and different so I’m definitely excited to get to one of those tomorrow :)

I did a 5ish second rinse and then I used 100C water for the first steep, 99C for the second and third, and 98C from there on out, cause it seemed to work well on the previous ones, and I guess it’s good to have consistency to compare them. I filled the gaiwan about 2/3 of the way this time

yay dancong oolong

Flavors: Apple, Floral, Fruity, Green Apple, Guava, Honey, Lemon, Lychee, Peach, Pear, Pineapple, Toasty, Wood