Taiwan Dong Ding Oolong Tea

Oolong Tea
Oolong Tea Leaves
Oak wood, Sweet, Wood
Edit tea info Last updated by eastkyteaguy

From What-Cha

A well rounded Dong Ding with a lovely roasted nut aroma and taste which lingers with a sweet background floral quality.

Tasting Notes:
- Smooth texture
- Roasted nut aroma and taste
- Background floral and sweet quality

Harvest: Winter 2016
Roasted: April 2017

Origin: Mei Shan, Yunling County, Taiwan
Altitude: 600m
Farmer: Mr. Huang
Sourced: Specialist tea ‘finisher’ who buys and processes the tea leaves of local farmers

Cultivar: Qing Xin
Oxidisation: 30-35%
Roast: Medium (Level 5-6)
Picking: Hand

Brewing Advice:
- Heat water to roughly 95°C/203°F
- Use 1-2 teaspoons per cup/small teapot
- Brew for 2-3 minutes

Packaging: Non-resealable vacuum-sealed bag packaged in Taiwan

About What-Cha View company

This tea is really woody. The longer it steeps the woodier it gets. For me, reducing both the steep time and temperature has helped to tame the tree. :)
1 min, 200F (although I should try 195)
Still woody, but a little sweet. I don’t think I’d order this again, but I will enjoy the rest of my bag.

Flavors: Oak wood, Sweet, Wood

Thank you so much for the sample!

I was okay with this tea although I was impressed with it. It was a complex one because of its balance with florals and the toasty roast, but it was faint overall like butter on crispy bread. The florals were more prominent steep two and three gong fu, and some caramel notes were there, but butter and toast were a bit more accurate with a side of pleasant charcoal. It was sweet, but faint and nutty like almond, and a little bit of dry like thick cashew. The roast and faintness of some of the florals with bare fruity notes were what made me a little bored with the tea personally.

I usually like nuance to my tea, but I honestly had to pay attention for this tea to get the sweeter notes from the Qin Xin. The texture was without a doubt smooth making it approachable, and the florals were definitely sophisticated with a solid balance with the nutty roast, but I think I might have liked the new style more because I like more sweetness with my nuances. I still recommend this tea for those of you looking for a very mellow oolong that you can meditate with. Otherwise, I think this might be one for slightly more experienced drinkers despite the general ease of the profile. If nutty nuance is what you look for, this is a good tea to have it.