2016 Winter "Traditional Roast Shui Xian" Wu Yi Rock Oolong Tea

Oolong Tea
Floral, Fruity, Marine, Medicinal, Roasted Barley
Edit tea info Last updated by tperez

• “A mild roast with slight bitterness. There is a lingering taste and aroma I don’t recognize, perhaps it is that of longan. I have two packets of this tea and will keep one for further aging. I...” Read full tasting note
  • “Brews a medium orange, not quite as dark roasted as I expected from the name, it’s actually pretty similar to the Fo Shou that I had the other day. Tastes of roasted barley, though not at all burnt...” Read full tasting note

From Yunnan Sourcing

This year’s Winter Shui Xian is picked and processed in the last few days of October and the first few days of early November. The tea is then roasted over a period of two days to bring out it’s unique winter character. Winter Shui Xian is very aromatic and when you brew it, it will fill the room with a wonderful chocolate and bread type aroma. The taste also has chocolate (very slight bitter) taste that quickly transforms itself into a thick longan sweetness that fills the mouth and and throat with lubricating nectar.

Winter Harvest 2016 (Oct/Nov)

About Yunnan Sourcing View company

I have two packets of this tea and will keep one for further aging. I may have a different experience next time, the first pack has been a daily drinker.

Tastes of roasted barley, though not at all burnt or coffee-like. There’s a moderate herbal medicine note and moderate fruityness, though I struggle to identify any particular fruit. There’s a little bit of the same dried seafood note that I found in the Fo Shou, a little bit stronger, and just a hint of floral character. Moderate honey-like sweetness.

Overall it’s pretty nice! Not as clean in the mouth or fruity and mineral as the more expensive Fo Shou, but pretty nice none the less and a good daily drinking Wuyi oolong. I’ve heard that roasted oolongs often improve with a little age, so I’ll try to keep an eye out for any changes in this one.

Flavors: Floral, Fruity, Marine, Medicinal, Roasted Barley