Honey Orchid "Mi Lan Xiang" Dan Cong Oolong Tea * Spring 2017

Oolong Tea
Oolong Tea Leaves
Almond, Apple, Apricot, Baked Bread, Butter, Candy, Cherry, Cream, Fruity, Grass, Honey, Mineral, Orange Blossom, Orchid, Peach, Pear, Spinach, Sugarcane, Vanilla, Vegetal, Violet, Passion Fruits, Lychee, Mango
Edit tea info Last updated by eastkyteaguy

From Yunnan Sourcing

Mi Lan Xiang (aka Honey Orchid Aroma) Dan Cong is the most well-known Dan Cong style. Bai Ye varietal is used and was expertly processed over a period of a month to give it a special thick, sweet and floral (orchid) aroma. The leaves are larger and broader than may other varietals and the finished dry leaf is a deep brown color. The brewed leaves are also more brown (and less green) than most other Dan Cong oolongs. This higher degree of oxidation due to roasting brings out the delicious honey and orchid taste. When you experience the wonderful taste keep in mind it’s all due to the skill of the master who lovingly processed this tea into something so special and delicious!

April 2017 picking

Zhongshan Village, Wu Dong Mountains, Guangdong Province of China

About Yunnan Sourcing View company

I think this was my only other sipdown of anything larger than a 10 gram sample pouch this week. I recall finishing what I had of this tea right at the start of the week and before my schedule got crazy. I’m very nitpicky about Mi Lan Xiang, and while I enjoyed this one, it was hit or miss for me. I did two gongfu sessions with it. One was very good and very enjoyable. The other was enjoyable but kind of boring. The same goes for my two attempts at brewing it Western style. Overall, this tea was surprisingly temperamental, but when it was good, it was just slightly shy of greatness.

[Note that the preparation detailed below refers to the better of the two gongfu sessions.]

I prepared this tea gongfu style. After the rinse, I steeped 6 grams of loose tea leaves in 4 ounces of 203 F water for 6 seconds. This infusion was followed by 15 additional infusions. Steep times for these infusions were as follows: 7 seconds, 9 seconds, 12 seconds, 16 seconds, 20 seconds, 25 seconds, 30 seconds, 40 seconds, 50 seconds, 1 minute, 1 minute 15 seconds, 1 minute 30 seconds, 2 minutes, 3 minutes, 5 minutes, and 7 minutes.

Prior to the rinse, the dry tea leaves produced aromas of orchid, orange blossom, honey, peach, cream, pomegranate, and vanilla. After the rinse, I detected new aromas of roasted almond, pear, and candied orange as well as a grassy hint and even stronger honey and flower aromas. The first infusion did not bring out any new aromas. In the mouth, the tea liquor offered notes of orchid, orange blossom, candied orange, pear, honey, peach, and pomegranate that quickly faded to reveal impressions of roasted almond, grass, cream, and vanilla. Notes of pear, honey, peach, orange blossom, and orchid lingered in the mouth after each swallow. Subsequent infusions brought out aromas of violet, cherry, apple, baked bread, butter, and sugarcane. New notes of baked bread, butter, minerals, cherry, sugarcane, violet, apricot, nectarine, apple, spinach, and watercress appeared in the mouth. As the tea faded, the liquor offered subtle notes of minerals, baked bread, apple, pear, grass, and roasted almond that were accompanied by almost ghostly wisps of honey, candied orange, sugarcane, orchid, cream, and vanilla.

Though my experience with it suggested that this was kind of an inconsistent, finnicky tea, it was never less than solid, and as the above description of the more successful of my two gongfu sessions indicated, it was very, very good when it was firing on all cylinders. Again, even at its worst, this tea was never really less than a solid offering. Sadly, I did not take any notes during my two Western sessions, but I do recall that they mirrored the two gongfu sessions. At its best, I would rate this tea somewhere between 87 and 90, but I have decided to knock a couple points off my overall numerical rating due to the tea’s inconsistency.

Flavors: Almond, Apple, Apricot, Baked Bread, Butter, Candy, Cherry, Cream, Fruity, Grass, Honey, Mineral, Orange Blossom, Orchid, Peach, Pear, Spinach, Sugarcane, Vanilla, Vegetal, Violet

6 g 4 OZ / 118 ML
Kawaii433

Still waiting for my Dec. 2nd package with the 2018 version of this is in it. Looking forward to it. Great reviews you posted today.

First infusion (180˚F):
Intense delicious fruity aroma, I’m getting strong passionfruit and some other very juicy fruits (apricot? nectarine?) on the nose. Flavour is very light, this was more like a rinse but the next infusion should taste great.

Second infusion (184˚F):
Still fragrant, a bit deeper honey colour but flavour is still quite light.

Third infusion (191˚F):
Flavour is still very delicate with some bitterness / astringency now. This is also not a tea that holds up to food well.

I suspect I might need to let this age for another year or so, will revisit then.

Flavors: Passion Fruits

180 °F / 82 °C

Very Fruity Mi Lan Xiang, lasted me 10 or so steeps!

Flavors: Honey, Lychee, Mango, Mineral