2000 CNNP "Yi Wu Chen Xiang" Ripe Pu-erh Tea Brick

Pu-erh Tea
Edit tea info Last updated by Togo
Boiling 0 min, 15 sec 11 g 4 oz / 120 ml

1 Tasting Note View all

• “I am finishing my sample of this tea, but I might actually order the brick this weekend. It’s a lovely aged tea unlike any other one I have in my stash. I love its strong and invigorating aroma as...” Read full tasting note

From Yunnan Sourcing

This is not a licensed CNNP production but rather a farmer production done in 2000 from Yi Wu harvested tea leaves wet piled in Menghai.

The tea was purchased by Hai Lang in 2003 on his first trip to Yi Wu and then stored in Kunming since that time. The leaves are fairly coarse, probably a blend of grade 5, 7, 9 and Cu Ye (wet piled matured leaf huang pian).

This tea’s hallmarks are an ultra-transparent burgundy tea soup, thick full mouth-feel, creamy body, and long lasting sweetness. It can also be infused many times and after that we recommend boiling the leaves for 10 minutes and drinking the resulting “soup”. Yum!

250 grams per brick (originally no wrapper, so we will wrap in white paper)

About Yunnan Sourcing View company

1 Tasting Note

I am finishing my sample of this tea, but I might actually order the brick this weekend. It’s a lovely aged tea unlike any other one I have in my stash. I love its strong and invigorating aroma as well as how smooth it is. It brews up a super clear and dark liquor with a purplish hue, a beautiful tea visually too.

The aroma reminds me of old books, wood, upholstery, and brown sugar. It has a sort of “dungeon” feel to it. The taste is hard to describe, but it seems to have more umami and vegetal notes than your average ripe. There are flavours of pine wood, tea tree oil, later on also fava beans, conifer forest and a sort of woody sweetness. The aftertaste is strong and somewhat sweet, displaying a distinctive dark cherry note at times.

Mouthfeel is definitely among the highlights of the tea. It is lubricating and creamy with a slight dry chalkiness and a throat cooling quality. I also found the cha qi to be fairly uplifting.

This tea seems to evolve slowly but with resolution, it’s like a conversation with an elderly wise person. It doesn’t seem to express everything it has in one go, a lot of its qualities are subtle and take a while to uncover. But it’s not like a super complex tea that just throws all the complexity at you, which can be overwhelming as you try to make sense of it. Rather, I would describe this tea as having a sort of a muted clarity.

Song pairing: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TzIFbTKMYHw

Flavors: Beany, Brown Sugar, Camphor, Cherry, Creamy, Forest Floor, Pine, Sweet, Thick, Umami, Vegetal, Wood

Boiling 0 min, 15 sec 11 g 4 OZ / 120 ML
Martin Bednář

It is so interesting song. I let it play when reading tasting notes. I was immediately like in some kind of video game with some very serious quest.