Feng Qing 2009 "Pu Er Tuo Cha" Ripe Pu-erh Tea * 250 grams

Pu-erh Tea
Edit tea info Last updated by JC
Boiling

1 Tasting Note View all

• “*Extra Notes* - I've been trying to log this one for a while. Steepster wouldn't let me add it for some reason and the picture (using the website's) doesn't seem to load either, I had to change the...” Read full tasting note
    jcov 135 tasting notes

From Yunnan Sourcing

An expertly fermented ripe tea made entirely from Feng Qing area (Lincang) material. When brewed, this tea has a highly aromatic quality that will fill the rooms with hints of camphor and chocolate. Nice mouth-feeling, sports a slight bitterness up front, but quickly followed by a strong thick sweet taste. Nice burgundy clear tea soup.

250 grams per bag (five 50 gram tuos)

About Yunnan Sourcing View company

1 Tasting Note

Extra Notes – I’ve been trying to log this one for a while. Steepster wouldn’t let me add it for some reason and the picture (using the website’s) doesn’t seem to load either, I had to change the name in order to get it here in the site is ‘2009 Feng Qing…’

About the Tea
I won’t make extensive notes about this one. I’ll just say this is my extremely cheap to-go Puerh. Scott described it as having stronger chocolate notes, but the sample Amy Oh sent me from Mandala is way more chocolaty than this one. However, this tea is amazing, especially for the price. It has some roasty note to it that gives it the (chocolate hint). But to me, this tastes a lot like dates/raisins. Its fruitier and aromatic, like a dried fruit. I have it in a ceramic pot that with lid designed to let it ‘breath’ the scent is more concentrated there but in a good way.

This tea does NOT compare to more expensive Ripes but deserves a really high rating because for the price you are getting something nicer that you’d expect. I drink it at work at every chance.

Boiling
Bonnie

very nice review.I like that you put it in context of why you rated it as you have.

JC

I felt like I had to. I love this one. I feel that for the price range its amazing. Sometimes it’s hard to convey that just with the score, also a bit unfair because I don’t want ratings to be based on price ranges only :P

sansnipple

It’s strange, I don’t taste chocolate or fruit in this, to me it has a very strong and sweet molasses sort of flavor/aroma. It’s funny how different people can interpret tastes so differently even though I’m sure we’re describing the same thing. And I agree, while it’s not a high grade tea, it is an absolute steal.

JC

Its not strange at all. We each recognize/relate tastes profiles to whatever is the closest match in our memory. And I would agree with you Molasses is a good description, the fruit I was talking about is a dried fruit that tend to have that molasses like taste. If I were to give it another shot I would say dried Persimmon.