Rooibos Jasmine

Rooibos Tea
Jasmine, Perfume, Rooibos, Artificial, Medicinal
Edit tea info Last updated by Jillian

• “I am having some of this tonight, mostly because I started writing a tea review for it months ago, and have had the partial review sitting in my files for a while now, and I need to finish it! ...” Read full tasting note
  • “When I first got this, I was a really big fan. Over time, I’ve become less and less interested in it. It’s good for a no caffeine jasmine option, but I’ll be ready to switch back to regular jasmine...” Read full tasting note
  • “This tea is a winner. Love the rich, dark red color and pleasant jasmine aroma that just won’t quit. It’s also got a smooth, sweet taste that lingers on your tongue without getting bitter for a...” Read full tasting note
  • “I’m feeling kind of ho hum about this tea. I love jasmine tea and I’d love to have a good decaf version, but this one isn’t grabbing me. The jasmine is more subtle than I am accustomed to, maybe a...” Read full tasting note

From Adagio Teas

Rooibos tea from South Africa infused with the delicate scent of the night-blooming jasmine flowers. If you enjoy jasmine tea, we urge you to try the sublime taste of its well-made varieties. This unique flavor produces a sweet, caffeine-free cup with a light and lingering scent of fresh jasmine flowers.

About Adagio Teas View company

I am having some of this tonight, mostly because I started writing a tea review for it months ago, and have had the partial review sitting in my files for a while now, and I need to finish it! But, I can’t finish a review for a tea that I haven’t had for many months… my memory isn’t that good!

I remember really liking this when I first tasted it… now I am not loving it quite as much as I once did. It is still alright… but it isn’t as good as I once thought it was. Losing points… It just doesn’t do jasmine flavor justice…

Michelle Butler Hallett

Eeew. My face screwed up just at the title. I can’t imagine this blend working well. Green rooibos, maybe.

Jaime

I almost want to try it…the name’s like a train wreck you just can’t take your eyes off of.

Grinnyguy

Same, that tea sounds like a disaster waiting to happen. Rooibos, jasmine, two words that I would associate with tea. But probably not together. Still, I’d love to try it once just to see whether I’m right!

When I first got this, I was a really big fan. Over time, I’ve become less and less interested in it. It’s good for a no caffeine jasmine option, but I’ll be ready to switch back to regular jasmine tea once I’m back in regular tea drinking.

However, I do like it more than most rooibos!

gmathis

Rooibos and jasmine just don’t seem destined to go together—-I like rooibos, but it’s more of a roasty, hearty taste that’s good with vanilla and chocolate and stout flavorings, not something delicate like jasmine.

goodTea

What an interesting idea, to add jasmine to rooibos.

This tea is a winner. Love the rich, dark red color and pleasant jasmine aroma that just won’t quit. It’s also got a smooth, sweet taste that lingers on your tongue without getting bitter for a great combo of color, taste and aroma.

I’m feeling kind of ho hum about this tea. I love jasmine tea and I’d love to have a good decaf version, but this one isn’t grabbing me. The jasmine is more subtle than I am accustomed to, maybe a little on the soapy side. I’m not getting much rooibos, which is good. I could like it. Eh, the verdict is still out.

__Morgana__

I don’t think I’ve had rooibos and jasmine before. Interesting. Wonder if there’s a good green jasmine decaf out there somewhere…

greenteafairy

This sounds like such a strange combination of flavors!

This was one of the stranger offerings in my Adagio herbal sampler. Maybe it’s just me, but rooibos and jasmine just don’t seem to go together; I associated rooibos with sweet (chocolate, vanilla) or spicy (chai) but not florals like jasmine. Ah well, it’ll be an adventure right?

Uhm, not really.

I brewed this approximately to the package instruction although I was a little iffy on the water temperature (the tin said 180 degrees which surprised me as I thought tisane = boiling?). I don’t have a thermometer and I was feeling lazy (damn you paper writing!) so I just let the boiled water sit for a minute or so to cool down a little. Steeped 7 minutes with approximately 1 teaspoon of leaves for a cup of water.

Both the dry leaves and the liquor had a strong jasmine smell with maybe a bit of “woodiness” underneath that I assume was the rooibos. The taste? Pretty much zilch.

When I sipped while breathing in I got the strong jasmine floral scent, but it felt like my taste buds didn’t have anything to work with at all, no matter how much I slurped or swished. When I held my breath there was nothing indicating I wasn’t drinking hot water. Even when I exhaled after a sip the “after taste” was more the scent coming at my nose via my mouth then any true flavour.

I know jasmine teas in general are more about the scent then the taste but other examples that I’ve tried at least had some flavour. My taste buds feel left out.

I like jasmine, but I’ve really only had it as green. This has a nice, floral scent. (And still makes me want steamed rice.) The jasmine flavour comes out a little stronger than I’m used to, but it’s alright.

Though I prefer a jasmine green tea/ rooibos blend (as a cold-brew).

The jasmine in this is overpowering. The tea is drinkable, but barely, and it’s almost too cloying for me to drink. I cannot taste the rooibos at all.

This is what jasmine mummies and daddies warn their little jasmine buds about at night before they sleep. My kitchen smells like a garden and I feel like a cross between a vampire and a hummingbird.

You must, by now, have concluded that this tea is powerfully fragrant and has a very strong flavour. You’d be right on both counts: it’s like drinking a bouquet. If this is jasmine with rooibos (rooibos? what rooibos? there’s rooibos in here?), I reckon I’m in for an interesting experience when I steep the jasmine without rooibos.

Anyway, so ya, if drinking a bouquet doesn’t appeal, stay far away. I loved it; but then, I munched on rose petals when i was a kid. =)

FROM A ROOIBOS AND JASMINE LOVER: I do not like this.
Rooibos is my favorite type of tea, and jasmine is my favorite flavor. I drink a LOT of rooibos herbal tea and a LOT of jasmine silver needle white tea. I obviously had to try this tea! I REALLY wanted to like it. However, I wasn’t sure about the blend, so I got this as a free sample from Adagio.

The dry tea leaves are red/orange needles, but they look shorter (broken?) than other rooibos teas I drink. The liquor is a deep orange/red.

The smell was a bit confusing. It smells mainly of rooibos, honey, and a weird jasmine-ish note (the smell is rather sharp). The taste, like the smell, is confusing (although it tastes a little bit better than the smell because the taste is more subtle). I don’t think this combo works well. The warm, honey notes of the rooibos does not fit with the floral, distinctive flavor of jasmine. Adagio says they blend this tea with natural jasmine flavor, but it could have fooled me… it smells artificial. It tastes better if you don’t inhale while drinking it. I will try to finish the mug, but….meh. UPDATE: It gets worse the more of it I drink. The smell is slightly revolting and the taste is perfumey. I won’t end up buying the full-size package.

1 heaping tsp for one mug of tea. Steep for 5 mins.
Ingredients (on the package): rooibos tea, natural jasmine flavor.

Flavors: Jasmine, Perfume, Rooibos

Boiling 5 min, 0 sec 1 tsp 8 OZ / 236 ML

Bleh. This one was totally undrinkable. The taste and smell were very artificial. I’m glad this was a free sample because I wouldn’t want to waste my money on this awful tea.

Flavors: Artificial, Jasmine, Medicinal