Oolong Tea
Asparagus, Brown Sugar, Celery, Floral, Gardenias, Nuts, Sugar, Vegetal
Edit tea info Last updated by Stephanie

From American Tea Room

Some say that oolong was created in China and perfected in Taiwan. We say that light-oxidation oolong was created in China and perfected in our Dong Ding Oolong.

Skillfully produced in the Dong Ding region outside Taipei, this tea is the epitome of buttery smoothness and floral aroma. Shiny, tightly rolled, deep-forest-and-blue-green leaves with specks of olive, sage and army green give off a fragrant, floral and fresh aroma. As the leaves infuse, they unfurl into stunning three-leaf sets, opening more (and releasing more flavor) with each subsequent infusion.

The first infusion is intensely yellow with a gentle hint of green. It has a fantastically floral aroma and decadent flavors of orchids, gardenias, fresh cream, the greenness of fresh-cut plant matter, light astringency and a hint of baked vanilla sweetness. Bittersweet notes of fresh gardenias follow in the aftertaste. As the brew cools, its creamy, buttery notes reach new heights, dramatically altering the overall flavor profile of this incredible tea.

Subsequent infusions are often creamier and sweeter than the first, so be sure to reinfuse your leaves for the maximum benefit this tea has to offer. Brew for slightly longer each time and savor the creamy sweetness…

About American Tea Room View company

Faint floral with a toasty aroma and taste. Hints of green and gardenias. Steamed roasted grains juxtaposed with an essence of tropical humidity. Then there’s something that reminds me of macadamia nuts.

Smooth, no bitterness, just a whisper of astringency. Refreshingly warm and soothing.

A lovely oolong overall. A very pleasant cup.

Forgot what I’d previously rated this when I found it in my stash while looking for something I don’t normally drink. So here goes another try of it, steeped a little longer than before.

I like it better than before and am raising my rating, but it’s not at all a favorite.

I really feel something for this tea. It’s a good, robustly flavored tea.

It smells kind of nutty, like roasted nuts. I used the Breville at 195 for 3 minutes. It smells heavenly. I really love this homey, grounded scent. It’s warm and inviting and I take a sip. Aaahhh! Lovely. It’s toasty good, kind of woodsy, a hint of smoke. It’s very, very good.

Buttery Tasting and feeling yet smooth on the way down—definitely one of my favorite evening teas.

A delightfully fragrant oolong that defines smoothness. The taste is slightly grassy with a natural sweetness reminiscent of burnt sugar. It has a creamy aftertaste with a buttery mouthfeel that one only finds in the best oolongs.

1940 tasting notes

To fully catch up on my oolong tasting plan, I’ve got to do a third one today to make up for yesterday and it needs to be a sample. How prescriptive can I possibly be? Certainly not more than that. LOL.

But I’m not going to apologize because when your tea stash is out of control, you need to impose some discipline if there is any hope of ever bringing it to heel. So there.

That said, I am not looking forward to another oolong today. I just had a nearly perfect milk oolong from The O Dor, and I sort of feel as though anything I have will be a come down after that. Which is one of the reasons I choose an ATR sample. Since they’re defunct, I don’t have to be on the lookout for something I’m going to want to reorder. Which somehow takes the sting of disappointment out of the whiffs.

Gaiwan. Rinse. 190F (Zo problems) starting at 15 secs.

This is a vegetal green oolong. Even in the packet, what I smell is vegetables. Asparagus maybe. The tea is pale yellow with a green tinge. The first thing I thought when I smelled the steeped tea was: celery.

How very strange. But yes, I get celery in the flavor as well. You know how celery has a sort of a nutty quality? I think that’s why I get celery — everyone else mentioned nuts.

The second steep has a floral quality; I get gardenias. It may be that I’m still remembering the milk oolong, but while this is an enjoyable tea, it isn’t really up to the task of following that tea. The celery aspect seems to have smoothed away into a more typical nutty flavor. A green nut. I can see why Stephanie said macadamias. I can go there, too.

The third steep tasted a lot like the second to me. There’s a sugary sweet smell to the empty cup. Interestingly, in the fourth steep, I get something that is very sweet. Like brown sugar.

So this certainly gets the prize for variety. Celery to brown sugar in four steeps must be some kind of record, no? It’s kind of funny, the minute I typed that, I realized that the celery note had also re-emerged. So it’s not just celery to brown sugar, but celery and brown sugar together in four steeps.

Just for fun, I did a fifth steep. This is certainly an interesting tea. It has a little something for everyone. I don’t get the toasty notes others have mentioned, and nothing dark or woodsy about this at all. Nor do I get butter, or more than just a small amount of floral. Really, that’s what makes it interesting to me — it is probably the most vegetal of the green oolongs I’ve had.

Flavors: Asparagus, Brown Sugar, Celery, Floral, Gardenias, Nuts, Sugar, Vegetal

190 °F / 87 °C

Very smooth balanced flavor with lots of cinnamon, brown sugar sweetness and very nice body.

Boiling 0 min, 30 sec 10 g 5 OZ / 150 ML