Lavender Sencha

Butter, Floral, Grass, Lavender, Mint, Umami, Vegetal
Low
Edit tea info Last updated by Mastress Alita

2 Images

• “I agree with LynnDC this is surprisingly creamy, with kind of a vanilla warmth to it. I do taste and really enjoy the lavender notes here, though, as usual, I wish these scented/blended teas used...” Read full tasting note
  • “I don’t get much of the lavender but what I do get is a unique taste that is really wonderful. I always add milk, so that could be a huge contributor to this wonderfully creamy brew.” Read full tasting note
  • “June Wedding! This is another of my newer aquisitions, also from the American Tea House “going out of business sale” when I got the Citron White tea (which I can report was better as an iced tea,...” Read full tasting note
  • “Backlog. This smelled wonderful but was ultimately a bit much for me. The lavender is intensely herbal and the sencha base is really vegetal, leaving me with a tea that was pretty grassy. I was...” Read full tasting note

From American Tea Room

Deep green Japanese sencha leaves are accented with tiny pink and violet lavender blossoms in a blend that is at once fresh and classic. The brew is a springy yellow green with assertive aromas of lavender and the ocean, and a soft peppery undertone. A full lavender flavor fills the palate, and then gracefully reveals notes of lime zest, ocean air and cloves. The finish speaks of flowers, steamed young greens and lemon.

Caffeine Level: Light
Origin: Blend
Ingredients: Green tea, Lavender flowers
Mood Profile: Calming
Flavor Profile: Floral

Tea Prep Guide: 1.2 tsp/5g, 200 F, 1 min

About American Tea Room View company

I agree with LynnDC this is surprisingly creamy, with kind of a vanilla warmth to it. I do taste and really enjoy the lavender notes here, though, as usual, I wish these scented/blended teas used a higher quality tea, as this lavender flavor over a sweeter, fuller green would knock my socks off. As it is, I’m happy enough to drink it but don’t expect it to have a permanent home in the stash.

June Wedding! This is another of my newer aquisitions, also from the American Tea House “going out of business sale” when I got the Citron White tea (which I can report was better as an iced tea, but I still found a little cloying in citrus flavor… I wish I had some fresh mint sprigs, which I think would’ve helped? For the hot cuppa, I actually ended up making it as a choco-milk latte, and the lemon-chocolate flavor combo worked quite well! So at least there is that for finishing it up…)

So this is another lavender tea, something I’ve been really into lately, though I have found some blends can be heavy handed on the lavender, and then they just taste sour. The Lavender White tea I got from Lupicia ended up that way to me, so I am a little skeptical… I love the stuff, I really do, but I find the proportions and blending has to be just right, so I guess I’m a bit of a picky fan…

Fortunately, this is a really wonderful sencha, the kind that is smooth, with a soft grassiness and just a little buttery, and a nice buttery sencha is my favorite flavor. The lavender is not too heavy and blends nicely with that buttery note, adding a minty floral flavor to the grassiness of the green tea. I have a feeling that if I added a little sugar to the tea, it would remind me just slightly of a lavender pastry, if not for the grassiness of the green tea. This is definitely a tea that I’d recommend going light on the leaf, using 160-175 F water, and a shorter steep of no more than 2 minutes.

I also really love cold-steeping this stuff in lemonade! The lemonade has a very subtle hint of the green tea, but mostly, it is just left with a very nice lavender flavor, and since lavender and lemon is a flavor combination that works so well together (in my humble opinion), it just works. It’s tangy, sweet, and a bit floral… pretty much everything I love! I imagine I’ll be drinking tons of this over the summer!

Flavors: Butter, Floral, Grass, Lavender, Mint, Umami, Vegetal

Backlog. This smelled wonderful but was ultimately a bit much for me. The lavender is intensely herbal and the sencha base is really vegetal, leaving me with a tea that was pretty grassy. I was expecting more floral flavor from the lavender to balance the sencha, but this one was just too strong all around for me. I gave the rest to mom—she loves it.