Zomba Pearls

Fair Trade, Kosher, Vegan
Edit tea info Last updated by DAVIDsTEA

From DAVIDsTEA

White zomba

We are so excited to introduce our first-ever tea from Malawi. Grown on a third generation, family-owned garden in the Shire Highlands, these exceptional little pearls are a true labour of love. Each leaf is hand-plucked and rolled by an amazing team of 15 tea-crafting local women. It steeps a beautiful bright yellow, with the aroma of lemon meringue and a light, buttery taste with natural sweet and floral notes. To get the most out of these gems, try drinking them over multiple steeps, or “gung- fu” style. As the leaves unfurl with each steep, each cup is a totally new experience. Here for a very limited time!

About DAVIDsTEA View company

Light but flavorful, smooth, a very good tea.

4 min, 0 sec 1 tsp 16 OZ / 473 ML

I had occasion to rifle through my DT stash today, and pulled out a handful of fun ones I had been feeling like drinking. I had a fresh batch of this recently, but knew I had some of this somewhere! It’s not as sweet or malty as it once was, but it’s still quite tasty. Hopefully I can get a solid few infusions from it!

Bought it as part of the Summer Sale from the DT website (1/2 price + additional 20% off). Enjoying the different characteristics from each infusion. Not sure I catch the “buttery” but feel"honey suckle" represents the finish for each sip. I use about 6 tea rolls for each 16 oz cup and steeping 4 minutes per cup in a Perfect Tea Maker (so that the leaves are not soaking between brews). So far, three steeps of an easy & drinkable green tea without the need to add anything..

Flavors: Honeysuckle, Sweet, warm grass

feb 16/18

i probably need to be doing this more. i like these zomba pearls quite a lot. a decent thickness to the tea, and im getting bassier notes than i usually get from white tea, more hay, and vegetal than the bai hao yin zen my wife, son and i shared last night while my oldest son was at kickboxing. this is the second time ive had this one since buying it a month or so ago. im 2 steeps in, and from what i remember the rolled leaves give it a good longevity. zomba pearls is my 3rd gongfu of the day after having a white2tea raw flapjack for breakfast, and finishing off my 2017 spring wu yi rou gui, seriously just rambling now waiting on my water. steep 3 and 4 are giving me some good mouth watering and something like a honey mustard note that is really quite nice. also a bit of that tongue numbing thing going on. im going to hammer this for a couple more steeps. i went probably 2 minutes of so for steep 5. the flavour has pretty much left, but still a decent body (im still not prepared to say “mouthfeel” yet), and doubleing down on the tongue numbing. a bit of astringency. if i didnt have steep 6 in the gaiwan already i wouldnt bother at this point, but since its there i might as well. i steeped it about 6 minutes or so on the killshot, and a tiny bit of flavour came back, but i will probably go 4 good steeps here as a rule. after all this the pearls were still more or less intact.

185 °F / 85 °C 7 g 4 OZ / 120 ML

A very pretty tea with undertones of honey, soft lemon, toast and hay-like, golden, vegetal flavors. I don’t find it to be very buttery (more bright and honeyed), and certainly nothing like Butter Sencha’s intensely buttery, creamy sweetness. I think that Zomba Pearls has a toasty, delightful, hay-like taste to it. Pleasant and warming. I originally said I wouldn’t repurchase this, because I like Tie Kwan Yin for a bold, warm, toasty tea and Butter Sencha for a buttery, sweet tea, but I like Zomba Pearls for exactly when those two blends are too much. This has a bright, light, happy taste to it that’s just easy to enjoy. Tastes like sunshine and happiness.

Picked up literally 10g of this to try – and since its such a light tea, 10g seems like a fair bit. But I was so looking forward to trying this, and since it is now online as well – maybe I’ll sneakily use my FS reward on it. At first I only steeped it for 4 mins, but it needed more, so I stuck the leaves back in for a bit. I added some sugar and it’s actually not bad. Better than the first 4 mins, haha! It has a vegetal taste. Also kinda buttery and floral. I don’t get any citrus/lemon out of this at all… Which is disappointing, but maybe resteeped will be different? Anyways, so far for a straight white, I quite enjoy it.

Flavors: Butter, Floral, Vegetal

Iced 8 min or more

My taste buds are off today. I have my four wisdom teeth out yesterday and today I’m attempting tea. haha I actually feel really good. I had no pain yesterday whatsoever, which makes me really happy. Today I’ve got a little bit but it’s more of a sore jaw then pain from the incisions. I’ve taken an advil to see if it’ll help. I probably should have taken two.

Anyways, so I decided that this was the tea to have as I can’t eat too much yet. Lots of pudding, yogurt and soups… and I’m going to attempt scrambled eggs and a soft tea biscuit if I can make myself mix them up and bake them.

So, I am having a hard time getting all the flavours from this one like I was hoping. I really wanted to taste the buttery-ness to this one as that’s what drew me to it. I wanted something with that taste because frankly I’m so hungry and want something, anything that is of substance. haha Either way, I’m not really getting the buttery, but rather the straw flavour from this one. There might be a hint of butter or something…

Like I said, my tastebuds are off today, but that’s okay. I’ll eat something, I’ll continue to heal and life will continue to be good. My baby is coming home early today (he was suppose to be at my mom’s until this evening, but she’s not sure how to keep him entertained I guess so she’s bringing him back.) I’m not too upset though. It’s been more than 24hours since I’ve seen him, so I miss him and I’m sure he does too. :)

Christina / BooksandTea

I remember when I had my wisdom teeth out, I ate a lot of mashed potatoes. That would be easy to chew and give you your butter fix, I think.

TheKesser

That’s a good idea!

Hot mug a few nights ago – actually maybe on Christmas now that I think about it?

Very thick mouthfeel, and rich flavour notes for a white tea. More on the autumnal sort of side, with straw/hay notes and a bit of a malty/brassy sort of quality. Like a good white tea but on steroids, and dipping a little bit into more conventional black tea qualities. Some nectarine undertones.

1908 tasting notes

First of all I’m going to get the obligatory joke out of the way and admit that I (and apparently everyone else at the local DT store) calls these ‘zombie pearls’. It’s just too good to pass up.

This is the first time I’ve tried an African white tea, or for that matter, any tea from Malawai. I found the way this tea was rolled interesting – they were less like the small, pea-sized pearls you see in Chinese white jasmine teas and most like tightly wrapped large clumps. It took several steeps for the leaves to unfurl completely so this is definitely a teas suited to those lazy days where you have time for multiple steepings. The steeped leaves looks a fair bit like those of silver needle white teas except that these have splotches of bright rust-red on them.

The flavours of the first steep (at 3:30 min) were reminiscent of sweet hay with a vegetale undertone while the second steep (4:45 min) was less vegetal and more buttery smooth with a pleasent sweet tone. I really enjoyed this tea and it’s great to see Davids Tea carrying a high-quality plain tea like this.

185 °F / 85 °C

I love the look of this tea! I almost didn’t want to steep it, haha. I’m not a huge fan of straight whites, but I thought I’d give this one a go just to try it, and I have to say that I was pleasantly surprised! The employee at DT who served me said this tastes even better re-steeped, so I’ll have to give that a whirl later, as well.