Blueberry Matcha

Bitter, Blueberry, Grass, Sugar, Sweet
Medium
Edit tea info Last updated by DAVIDsTEA
165 °F / 73 °C 8 oz / 236 ml

• “Sipdown (244) These smoothies have me flying through these matchas. And my greek yogurt which is sadly gone now so no more smoothies until I do the groceries. Also, thankfully I have the giant...” Read full tasting note
  • “Sipdown! 64/365 Ended up finishing off this one today. It was just as good as yesterday’s mug. I’m probably doomed to pick up matcha samples at DavidsTea now when I go there, assuming the flavour...” Read full tasting note
  • “DAVIDsTEA is really good at blueberry, so I have high hopes for this. So far, my favourite flavoured matcha from them is the Honeydew. That one has a ton of flavour, so much that a teaspoon in my...” Read full tasting note
  • “Easily the best flavoured matcha that David’s tea has or has had. Despite other reviews stated un-sweet and dry.. it needs to be made properly. Like most matcha. If you are just scooping some in...” Read full tasting note

From DAVIDsTEA

Game, set, matcha

This all-natural blend of stone-ground matcha and cane sugar is the easiest, most convenient way to make your favourite green tea recipes. It’s already sweetened, so all you need to do is decide what you want to make. You can blend it with milk and ice for killer breakfast smoothie, froth it with milk for a latte, mix it into cookie batter, or add a spoonful to your next milkshake for a real treat. Looks like you’ve got some seriously tasty experimenting to do.

About DAVIDsTEA View company

Sipdown (244)

These smoothies have me flying through these matchas. And my greek yogurt which is sadly gone now so no more smoothies until I do the groceries. Also, thankfully I have the giant thing of honey b/c I have been rather heavy-handed with it in these smoothies as of late…as evidenced by the distinct honey flavor in the last couple of smoothies. I guess that happens when you don’t really measure.

What’s interesting is that with each different matcha, the smoothies have been distinctly different. However, the flavor of the matcha doesn’t come through clearly. Like, if I gave someone all three in a blind taste test, I think it would be clear that there were 3 different flavors but not entirely clear that those flavors were mocha, berries and cream, and blueberry. For instance, this matcha doesn’t immediately scream blueberry to me but it is definitely not as sweet as the berries and cream. Every now and then I get pops of berry, leaning to blueberry but tbh that might just be because I knew I used blueberry matcha. Nevertheless, all three have been delicious and given these matchas are like 3 years old, I am happy that they are contributing anything at all.

In other news, a week ago, one of my uber drivers asked me if I thought winter was over. I thought he was just making small talk so I was like I doubt it b/c this is Canada and there is always a snowfall or storm after the weather warms up. And his response was “when is the snow coming?” as if I were a weather reporter who had this information readily available. And then he started telling me how he wanted to get his winter tires off and when did I think he should do that? Uhhhh…I’m a passenger in an uber…what makes you think I would know? Anyways, I basically told him I didn’t really know but if it were me I would wait a little longer. That ended up being solid advice b/c yesterday somehow went from 7 degrees and raining to my entire apartment complex just being covered in snow in like an hour. So that was weird but also typical of London/Ontario/Canada.

Evol Ving Ness

Hmm, well, if you sound Canadian and look Canadian, you must know about such things.

Just like I would advise my students about winter footwear when they showed up in January wearing flimsy sneakers with see through soles.

Sipdown! 64/365

Ended up finishing off this one today. It was just as good as yesterday’s mug. I’m probably doomed to pick up matcha samples at DavidsTea now when I go there, assuming the flavour sounds interesting. Not that I don’t still have some Red Leaf matcha left that I should really use up.

DAVIDsTEA is really good at blueberry, so I have high hopes for this. So far, my favourite flavoured matcha from them is the Honeydew. That one has a ton of flavour, so much that a teaspoon in my protein smoothie packed full of mixed berries (with cookies ‘n’ protein powder), dare I say, overpowers all of the other flavours in a good way, of course. Preparing this the same way, I cannot taste the blueberry at all, just the grassy matcha. Granted, the flavouring is obviously blending in with the frozen blueberries, raspberries, and blackberries.

I’m now trying the last of this hot. Before adding milk, it’s pretty sweet. It reminds me that, oh yeah, DAVIDsTEA loads their flavoured matches with sugar. I can taste the blueberry here, and it’s realistic, thankfully enough, but not nearly as flavourful as the Honeydew. Adding milk to it, it’s a pleasant instant blueberry latte, except still a little too sweet for me. Would I buy more? Probably not, as it’s a little too expensive to justify considering the sheer amount of sugar they add to this, but it’s still worth trying, I’d say.

Easily the best flavoured matcha that David’s tea has or has had. Despite other reviews stated un-sweet and dry.. it needs to be made properly. Like most matcha. If you are just scooping some in a mug and adding hot water, and that’s it, you are wasting the matcha.

The blueberry pairs excellently with matcha green tea. It is not overpowering and add a lovely sweetness to the tea. It’s not wonder that when D’sT had this tea offered in previous summer’s that it sold out so very quickly. Tragic that they have stopped selling it.. it’s a money maker!

Not bad. Fairly dry and not very sweet despite the sugar, though.

#ProjectTeaWall

Stopped in to DT after Job #1 today because I had told my coworker Leah I’d bring her some Red Leaf Tea samples to try out, and since I was there giving out matcha samples I figured I’d bring some matcha home with me as well – in latte form!

I’ve mentioned it before, but while I like DT’s matcha I really dislike that all of the flavoured ones are sweetened, be it with cane sugar or coconut nectar. I hate when people sweeten my tea for me: I want to be able to control that myself! The added sweetener was really apparent in this cup too; it was much sweeter than I personally would have liked and it almost gave the milk base a “sweetened condensed milk” sort of vibe that at times felt like a little much…

However, that aside I think the blueberry flavour really delivers! It’s fresh and juicy, with a vivid brightness that creates this really full of life top note to the cup. I’m quite partial to most of the blueberry blends that DT has created: I feel like it’s a flavour they do really well. Blueberry Jam is one of my overall favourites, and I really enjoyed Dark Chocolate Delight as well and that has blueberry as a main flavour too. In fact, I think the only blueberry tea they’ve created that I’ve just flat out disliked is Bluberry Muffin?

The matcha base is really strong too: if the blueberry is the top note, the strong grassy profile of the matcha and slight seaweed/hay notes in it comprise much of the body of the sip and the finish. In store lattes use four “scoops” of tea – and even though the matcha scoop we use is MUCH smaller than the Perfect Teaspoon that’s used for everything else, that’s still a lot more matcha than I would personally use at home to make a latte. So, even though it wasn’t bad at all it was just pretty strong.

Nice overall though; aside from a bit of the intense sweetness it really hit the spot.

Also – sort of funny story, but on my bus ride home I fell asleep because I’ve just been SO exhausted lately. When I woke up I was extremely disoriented, and thought we were about the hit the stop that comes after the one I normally get off at. So I hit the button to get off, and rushed off the bus because I didn’t want to end up super far past my house. Well, turns out I actually got off about eight stops before my normal stop, and because that late in the evening the bus only comes on the hour I had to walk the distance home (or stand outside in the open air for fifty minutes)….

It was blizzarding.

Fuck my life.

Friendly reminder that I’m not currently numerically rating DAVIDsTEA blends as I’m currently seasonally employed there and it would be an obvious conflict of interest. Any blends you see with numerical ratings were rated prior to my employment there. These reviews are a reflection of my personal thoughts regarding the teas, and not the company’s.

Indigobloom

OH NO!! You must have been so chilled :(

mrmopar

Gosh I hope you didn’t freeze completely.

Kristal

Totally agree about the sweetening thing. Sorry about the blizzard :(

This tea is YUMMY! I had it made at the store with a small volume of water and added plenty of sugar. Every sip was full of blueberry flavour. I generally don’t like the idea of wasting matcha with flavour, however I could definitely drink this. The matcha had a good green colour, and although the employees whisking technique was average, it produced foam.

This might be a good alternative to blueberry muffin for a fall tea, if you like matcha.

Most store employees seemed to like this flavour out of the matcha summer collection.

I mixed this with milk. You can definitely taste the blueberry flavor in it. I like it but not as much as the strawberry one.

No one’s reviewed this yet? Strange.

Before I give my review, I’d like to admit I do not drink matcha and I hardly ever drink my tea sweetened. So I am a bit biased against this tea to start with. I actually bought this tea so I can throw a small spoonful in my morning smoothie on days where I need a bit of a caffeine kick and don’t have enough time for my breakfast AND a cup of tea. This is one of the cheaper options from DAVIDs (largely because cane sugar is the main ingredient!), but either way, it will work for my purposes.

I decided to try it out as an actual drink before using it in my smoothies. I followed the instructions and mixed 1.5 tsp in 8oz of water. I don’t have a matcha whisk so I stirred it with a fork, lol. The resulting taste is upfrontly sugary with a mix of blueberry flavouring and slightly bitter, grassy green tea. All together I must say I’m not loving this blend. Much too sweet, I don’t like fruit flavouring in my green tea, and the bitterness of the matcha is off-putting as well. Maybe I overleafed it? I didn’t even finish my cup- I dumped it down the drain. Either way I will use this up in my smoothies no problem (since I won’t be tasting it), but I would never buy it to drink as an actual drink. If I wanna try matcha again I will by plain matcha. This blend doesn’t work for me on any level.

Flavors: Bitter, Blueberry, Grass, Sugar, Sweet

160 °F / 71 °C 8 OZ / 236 ML

Dry leaf: Sweet blueberry with a slight vegetal note.

Liqueur: Opaque emerald green.

Flavour: Ripe blueberry flavor. Nice and sweet, but balanced by the vegetal quality of the matcha.

165 °F / 73 °C 1 tsp 8 OZ / 236 ML