Sweet Almond Green

Green Tea
Almonds, Cornflower Petals, Green Tea, Marigold Flowers
Almond, Cookie, Vegetal, Astringent, Artificial, Cherry, Green, Nutty, Sweet, Seaweed, Nuts, Marzipan, Flowers, Bitter, Floral, Grass, Medicinal, Sugar, Creamy, Walnut, Vanilla, Salt, Drying
Low
Kosher, Organic
Edit tea info Last updated by Perry Papadopoulos

From DAVIDsTEA

Nutty and nice

Our favourite part of the holiday season? The treats, of course. And those little almond-scented cookies have an extra-special place in our hearts. Buttery and sweet, with the nutty crunch of an almond on top, they’re a dangerously delicious part of any festive cookie spread. But with a nutty kiss of almond and an organic base of green tea, this sweet and subtle tea is our guilt-free version of the classic treat. Because indulging yourself should have no strings attached.

Price per 50g: $8.98

About DAVIDsTEA View company

I really enjoy this tea but starts to get too repetitive after a while and for me it ended up as something hard to drink anymore. This is a problem for me because I drink too much tea, so I find very strong teas are not a fit for me. However, I strongly recommend!

Marzipan. Green tea and marzipan. Definitely not for me. Honestly, I have no clue why I bought it because it even smells strongly of marzipan which I just don’t love. This is going into the swap box…or the Sil bag unless she objects :P.

Lexie Aleah

Maybe it was really marked down?

VariaTEA

Nah. I probably just said to give me 10 g of the whole collection and didn’t pay attention

nope. i dislike marzipan…

Smells really good. Not my favorite green tea for drinking unfortunately.

So upfront I will admit that this sample is about a year old. There’s something about it that doesn’t quite work. The initial scent and taste is just like an almond cookie, but then the vegetal green tea is a jarring second note. There is nothing wrong with either flavor, but they just don’t blend together at all. I feel like there’s real potential here, but more tweaking is needed. I have cut back drastically on using additional sugar or sweeteners, but I suspect that might be helpful with this tea. I’d probably give it about a 60, but I won’t rate it officially since my sample is old and may not be representative.

Flavors: Almond, Cookie, Vegetal

Day 19 of the 2016 advent calendar! My boyfriend is a huge fan of this one but I never really drank it, probably because the smell was so strongly of artificial almond. I will say that it is a pretty tea to look at as well. After 9 months though, I have noticed that the smell of the almond has died down quite a bit (chances are it evaporated?). Sadly the tea smells a bit musty, but I’m going to brew it up anyways and see how it is.

Steeped, the tea is a nice light green tea color, and the aroma is much more almond-y than my sample of dry leaf which is a pleasant surprise. By itself, the tea isn’t really that sweet, but it does come off as a decent almond-y green tea. I did add a touch of sugar and it helped in my opinion, making this tea into a sweet and smooth treat.

Overall, I don’t know why this tea gets a bad rap. I thought the flavor was great and had no bitterness from the green tea base. I hope they bring it back this coming winter because I will buy more.

…So apparently I’ve never written a review on this one before.

I’ve probably had it like a dozen times; I tried it when it originally came out as a winter tea and then this Christmas it was CONSTANTLY around because it was one of the winter teas when I first started at DT as a seasonal. I think this must be a case of “I always assumed I’d tried it and written about it, so I never did again”.

So I guess to quickly recap the last dozen or so times I’ve had it in the past:

I don’t generally like it; the almond is WAY too intense to the point where it’s both cloying, artificial, and chemical tasting all at once with a weird underlying alcohol kind of quality. Like basically, it’s bad amaretto. With a stupid green tea base.

So, why am I drinking it now? Well, curiosity really. I found a single cup worth of it in my mom’s tea stash from when it was originally released. That was like three years ago? Or something like that. Maybe two? Anyway – it’s OLD. So I asked if I could steep it because I wanted to see how the age had effected it.

Honestly? I think it’s better. I mean, still gross but the intensity of the almond and that gross alcoholic kind of quality has faded substantially which makes it smoother/more tolerable to me. Downside? Less almond flavour covering up the base means it’s especially grassy tasting. So that’s a bit of a trade off.

Eh; still not a fan. Interesting experiment though!

The smell of the tea reminds of amaretti (Italian almond cookie), which I love. As for the tea, I do not love it. It isn’t bad, but it really has this artificial/chemical flavour to it. It really didn’t seem all that natural or tea like. It’s too bad because the idea and smell of it were so good!

Hmm, okay, that almond taste is weirdly assertive and artificial…but it’s not so bad.

I want so badly to love this one, but there the vegetal flavour of the green tea combined with almond extract and a slight astringency really doesn’t let that happen. While I can force myself into drinking a cup of it, I’d have a hard time recommending it or even seeing why people like it so much. The aftertaste that this tea leaves in my mouth is also terrible, it just tastes like really bitter, fake almond extract.

Flavors: Almond, Astringent

I’m not rating this tea because I see there is a good amount of people who do enjoy it but for me I’d be dragging that bar all the way down to zero. This tea for me is disgusting, one of the few that I’ve dumped down the drain rather than muscling through it. I find it to smell (and taste) like the restroom soap you find in malls, gas stations and chain restaurants.