Matcha Miso

Edit tea info Last updated by Mastress Alita
Boiling 16 oz / 473 ml

3 Images

From DAVIDsTEA

This mouthwatering miso soup mix doesn’t just pack a serious umami punch – it’s also got all the energizing, metabolism-boosting powers of matcha green tea. Think rich and vegetal, with the satisfying brothy flavour of white miso – a protein-rich soybean paste known for helping stimulate digestion. Try sipping it for breakfast, Japanese-style. It’s the bomb.

Available in prepack format only.

Matcha green tea, white miso powder (fermented soybeans, rice, salt, modified tapioca), seaweed (kombu) extract (maltodextrin, kombu extract, salt).

Allergens: soya

About DAVIDsTEA View company

I use tea as the broth for my ramen (I can’t have MSG since it’s a migraine trigger, and it’s in the flavor packets that come with ramen) and when I heard about this, being a fan of both miso and matcha, I really wanted to try it. Unfortunately, it was no longer listed on the US DAVIDsTEA website, and I don’t have any DAVIDsTEA anywhere near where I live. Before a vacation meetup with my best friend, I asked if he’d find out if it was available where he lives (since he’s in the Bay Area in California, which has at least three of this chain available). He had to take a Caltrain trip to a nearby town in the bay one Saturday afternoon, but he managed to pick it up for me, then deliver it when I met up with him last May for an anime convention. Best friends are really the best. hearts

This was really nice; it was very thick and made a nice broth, had just enough of a saltiness to work well with the ramen, the miso flavor was wonderful, and the matcha actually added a much sweeter sort of vegetal grassy touch than I was expecting. It was very satisfying and I’m happy to have another soup tea to add to my ramen broth arsenal.

Flavors: Beany, Salty, Soybean, Sweet, warm grass, Umami, Vegetal

Boiling 2 tsp 16 OZ / 473 ML
LuckyMe

Matcha in ramen is such a neat idea…wonder why I never thought of it. I think the grassiness would pair nicely with a mellow white miso. Thanks for the inspiration!

Mastress Alita

This was using a white miso powder, and they did compliment each other very well!

Made this one up for lunch; it was the perfect bowl of comfort food to sip on during a lazy Sunday afternoon!

Nothing says comforting more than a giant bowl of miso with ramen so of course when I saw that we were releasing soup teas again this year and one was going to be Miso flavoured I was super on board with it before I’d even tried it. It was even more exciting when I found out it was a matcha miso soup/tea! Matcha makes great soup stock/broth and already had umami/marine qualities so it’s a fabulous pairing.

I started by making a vegetable stock; chopped up onion, carrot, and celery with some minced garlic and three perfect spoon fulls of this mixed into the pot; reduce it down and get a good simmer going so that the whole kitchen smells divine. Only then do I start cooking the ramen, and fuck does it smell and look good! I took my time, cooking it slowly and finally to serve I topped it with freshly ground black pepper and an egg.

Divine.

The taste was super satisfying; very rich, and like the packaging on the miso mix says a true “umami bomb”. Basically just an explosion of flavours in the mouth. In particular, I really liked the addition of onion and garlic with the matcha and miso mix. The egg was good too though because the creamyness of the yolk totally breaks up what might otherwise be a somewhat overly savory dish. Mmm! If you like miso even a little bit, I 100% recommend trying this one out!

Photos: https://www.instagram.com/p/BfWkXialDO4/?taken-by=ros_strange

Lexie Aleah

I definitely am going to need to get some of this.