Wild Leaf Menghai, 2003

Floral, Malt, Sweet, Camphor
Bulk, Loose Leaf
Edit tea info Last updated by Erik Dabel
Boiling 2 min, 30 sec 7 g 32 oz / 946 ml

• “Awesome Pu-Erh tea. I feel like I still don’t know a whole lot about this type of tea, but I am a big fan,and am willing to learn as much as I can. This review is for the 4th steeping of these...” Read full tasting note

From Red Blossom Tea Company

From RedBlossomTea.com:

Our 2003 Wild Leaf comes from the ancient tea trees that have grown for hundreds of years on the mountainous slopes of southern China’s Yunnan province in Menghai County. Harvested and crafted by the aboriginal people of Yunnan, the tea is a “sheng” or raw pu-erh – aged naturally – with time as the only catalyst transforming the tea from its nascent state as “mao cha” to its current rich mahogany color. The tea was stored in Guangzhou for three years, The result is a tea that is uncharacteristically light and sweet, with a rich camphor finish. Steeped longer the tea becomes richer in flavor with a distinct stone fruit aroma and remarkably smooth body.

BREWING GUIDE

Steep Time 1 min sec
Teapot (12 oz.)
Tea Leaves 5.5 grams
Steep Time 2 min

Sheng Pu-Erhs are noted for their clean, crisp, complexity. Thus – though they will never become bitter – are best enjoyed when steeped for shorter times, bringing out the nuanced character developed with age. The Wild Leaf 2003’s elegance is most pronounced with infusions of one minute or less, highlighting the clean woody finish. For a fuller, maltier mouthfeel, with hints of stone fruit in the finish, extend steep times towards two minutes, in a vessel with excellent heat retention – ideally a yixing clay pot.

About Red Blossom Tea Company View company

This review is for the 4th steeping of these leaves. I’m amazed at how well they have held up. I still get the full flavored, deep, velvety smooth base, with a strong malt flavor and overtones of wood, fruit, and a hint of tropical flowers.

All the depth, all the sweetness, with nearly all the balance of the 1st brewing. I could easily go 2 or 3 more steepings after this one.

-E