2001 Family Reserve Aged Oolong Tea, Lot 578

Oolong Tea
Butter
Edit tea info Last updated by S.G. Sanders
Boiling 0 min, 30 sec 6 g 3 oz / 100 ml

• “Beware, tastes nothing like the 1993 Family Reserve the website compares it to (and which I very much liked). Went through about 6 gongfu infusions. Quite a lot of bitterness. A nice buttery scent...” Read full tasting note
  • “Dry leaf reminded me of raisins which were presumably covered in dust. As the leaf gets the water, there is an added note of “spiced raisins,” but that seems to be the only thing I had written...” Read full tasting note

From Taiwan Tea Crafts

Product description not available yet.

About Taiwan Tea Crafts View company

Went through about 6 gongfu infusions. Quite a lot of bitterness. A nice buttery scent with hints of same in the taste. Otherwise very little here. Definitely none of the interesting aged flavours in the older versions of this from the vendor. Would not recommend at this point (will update after trying it a few more times and playing around with brewing parameters).

Flavors: Butter

Boiling 0 min, 30 sec 6 g 3 OZ / 100 ML
loganrah

Grandpa brewed: This is much better. I would adjust my rating up to about 65 this way. Some hints of the cooling/menthol aged feeling as well as more interest in the flavour. Still a little bitter, buttery scent completely absent. Suggests that a longer ageing time might actually help here (will have to get a vacuum sealer…)

Dry leaf reminded me of raisins which were presumably covered in dust. As the leaf gets the water, there is an added note of “spiced raisins,” but that seems to be the only thing I had written about the aroma of the leaf.

I noted that the tea was very stale, drying, bitter, and had a very subtle note of raisin. This tea might’ve been quite nice in 2001, but it has definitely lost all of the potential of those once quality, tasty flavors. I had to stop a few times during the session to drink a glass of water due to the high astringency throughout the session.

I also noted that “Old tea doesn’t mean good tea—unless it’s puerh; which has potential” :P