Malabar Estate Java OP Clonal

Black Tea Leaves
Apple, Astringent, Cherry, Cinnamon, Grapes, Orange Zest, Wood, Floral, Flowers, Leeks, Vegetables, Vegetal, Melon, Tobacco
Medium
Vegan
Edit tea info Last updated by Mastress Alita
Boiling 3 min, 15 sec 2 g 13 oz / 383 ml

Available from 1 seller.

3 Images

• “Sipdown (623)! Acquired this one from Starfevre a little while back; finishing it off now as a larger Western pot of tea. I’m about halfway through the pot now, and it’s been nice but not really...” Read full tasting note
  • “I wasn’t planning to review this one right now, but I was saying to myself how annoying it is when teas are… just so broken up so I decided to do it. Does that make sense? Ah, I don’t need your...” Read full tasting note
  • “Orange. Very barely almost not there bit of floral with green underneath. Astringent but only mildly and it’s around the top of the back of the throat. Blues and greens with a leek tone. Dark...” Read full tasting note
  • “This tea brought back memories of the time I asked a fellow of Irish descent which teas are used in Irish breakfast blend. His reply? Black tea. Very standard black tea profile, as in: Lipton, Red...” Read full tasting note

From Upton Tea Imports

A boutique offering showcasing the unique terroir of West Java in Indonesia. Volcanic soil, high altitude, and careful harvesting make for a unique cup. This selection was harvested at the peak of the summer flavory season. Dark, crepy leaves, combined with gold and silver downy tips produce a dark, clear liquor. The cup has interesting flavor notes and a hint of mahogany wood in the aroma. Goes great with milk. This is one of the best high-grown Java teas we have seen in years.

Origin: Indonesia

Steeping Suggestions
Leaf Quantity: 2.25 g/6oz cup
Steep Time: 4-5 min.
Water Temperature: 212 degrees

About Upton Tea Imports View company

Sipdown (623)!

Acquired this one from Starfevre a little while back; finishing it off now as a larger Western pot of tea. I’m about halfway through the pot now, and it’s been nice but not really much of a wow factor here either. Top of the sip is pretty malty, but it moves into a sweeter and more fruity body flavour – definitely muscatel/raisin notes but also some stonefruit/more plum like elements too. Finish is a little bit tannic, but only slightly so. Reminds me a little bit, on the whole, of Easter Bread – you know, sweet pastry with mixed in candied fruits and raisins. Also a little bit of cinnamon, but I’m not really getting a whole lot of spice with the tea…

Biggest thing is just that it feels very thin, in terms of mouthfeel, and also a little watery. There’s just no body to the tea, even though the taste is pretty nice. I’m enjoying it more as it cools, though.

Song Pairing: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iMUbmiXlHww&index=6&list=LL1M1wDjmJD4SJr_CwzXAGuQ

I wasn’t planning to review this one right now, but I was saying to myself how annoying it is when teas are… just so broken up so I decided to do it. Does that make sense? Ah, I don’t need your confirmation anyways.

So uh this one’s all broken up! into bits! and it’s annoying me >:(! Anyways.. I mean it actually tastes good, like hot apple cider. nice cinnamon notes, and a dark richness to it, with some grape and sour cherry notes, orange zest is quite strong as well.
It doesn’t actually have a very nice mouthfeel, it’s uncomfortably astringent, and not very thick. I’ve never had Indonesian tea and I’d actually be really excited to try higher quality Indonesian tea based on this one, and on a mostly unrelated note, it’s making realize I need to revisit Indian tea.

Flavors: Apple, Astringent, Cherry, Cinnamon, Grapes, Orange Zest, Wood

Blues and greens with a leek tone. Dark green vegetables like leeks, raw kale, but no taste at all of broccoli or Brussels sprouts. Not like those.

Finish becomes astringency behind the front teeth and lightly back of tongue, between there is none.

Fruit comes to mind but maybe apple. Apple that is not sweet, a dryer, blander apple taste..

It’s not bad but I’m not impressed. It’s a mid-level taste.

2.25g/6oz

Flavors: Apple, Astringent, Floral, Flowers, Leeks, Vegetables, Vegetal

Boiling 2 min, 30 sec 2 g 6 OZ / 177 ML

Very standard black tea profile, as in: Lipton, Red Rose, Tetley, if that’s what you’re after (and many prople are), then you may as well just head on down to the grocery store. Nothing wrong with a stout and economical midafternoon caffeine jolt, of course!

Perhaps the Irish fellow thought that I assumed that everything Irish somehow had to be green?

Well, a second tea from the Steepster Select that I haven’t been impressed with. I love the idea of Select, but I think I’m going to wait a little longer until it gets teas more to my taste.

Now on to this tea, I got the mahogany taste, but that was about it, smokey, paprika, leather, almost like the burnt ends from BBQ. Really not what I think of for a single estate tea. I haven’t really had many Indonesian teas that ‘wow’ me, and this is no exception.

(1st steep; 3.5 min) This tea has an aroma that I have come to associate with black tea. I wish I had a better description, but that the only description I have arrived at. The first flavor that I detect from this tea is a slightly sweet fruitiness like that of a melon. This is quickly replaced by wood and copper. I am curious to see how it changes in additional steepings. There is a drying sensation that quickly removes any lingering flavors once the tea has been swallowed. While a solid black tea, nothing about it stands out for me.

(2nd steep; 4 min) In the second steeping, the aroma is closer to tobacco. Some of that tobacco flavor comes through in the flavor of the tea. There is less of the sweet fruit (melon) flavor than in the first steeping. The wood is still very forward with the tobacco finishing out the layers of flavor. The tobacco seems to have replaced the copper in the first steeping. There is still the drying at the end which is nice which clears away the flavors. I am enjoying the second steep more than the first.

(3rd steep; 4.5 min) The aroma from the final steeping presents a heavier tobacco than the previous steepings. The fruit flavor is now closer to a grape than a melon. There is almost no wood flavor, but the tobacco is present and central. Also, there is a notable lack of the drying in this steeping. That is not to say that this steeping is mellow. I have enjoyed how this tea has changed during the each steeping.

Flavors: Grapes, Melon, Tobacco, Wood

Boiling 3 min, 30 sec 1 tsp 6 OZ / 177 ML

I clearly don’t have the delicate palate that the below reviewers have. I don’t taste the notes others do…never have, never will. My palate is pedestrian. But what I do have to say about this tea is this: It’s a lovely black tea. It doesn’t have any bitter notes. It has a certain clarity to its flavor while still being full-bodied and complex. It continues to taste good, even when it cools.

First taste of caramel dissolves quickly into bold tannins. At first I could barely taste anything but tannins, but as it cools I am able to find traces of citrus and a teeny bitfof spice. Not terribly jazzed about this one; it’s fine if you’re liking for a warm, full-bodied tea, but it was lacking some complexity and depth of flavor for me. 6.5/10

Backlog:

One of the teas from February’s Steepster Select box.

Sweet with caramel undertones. Malty. Strong, robust … makes a great pick-me-up sort of tea. Fruit notes (grape) with a dry tail. At mid-sip, I noticed an orange peel sort of flavor, and a very subtle hint of cinnamon.

I’ve never had anything quite like this before. It feels very heavy, if that makes sense, but in a very good way. I liked this a lot.. I definitely notice a grape flavor and a bit of astringency. I loved this even more with some milk (per the packaging’s recommendation).. And I usually do not add milk to my tea.