Premium Taiwanese Assam

Brown Sugar, Cantaloupe, Caramel, Grapes, Malt, Strawberry, Coffee, Baked Bread, Burnt Sugar, Butter, Cherry, Cocoa, Cream, Dark Wood, Marshmallow, Salt, Smooth, Vanilla
Edit tea info Last updated by tea-sipper

2 Images

• “This was kindly sent as a sample in my recent order. I don’t think I’m ever going to be an Assam convert — honestly, I guess I LIKE a bit of bitterness and heft in my black tea — but this was very...” Read full tasting note
  • “Brenden over at WP teas saw me mention Butiki’s PTA recently and told me Whispering Pines was now selling PTA!! Somehow I didn’t know this very important fact? I was ecstatic. Then Brenden sent...” Read full tasting note
  • “This tea needs no explanation from me. Sorry if that’s what you’re looking for. Exceptional for the price. Thank you for the sample, Brenden.” Read full tasting note
  • “Rich, strong, and smooth, PTA is a dreamy breakfast tea! The long wiry leaves give a nose of chocolate, raisin, and spice, with a warm and mellow sweetness. The opening taste matches that scent...” Read full tasting note

From Whispering Pines Tea Company

Rich, strong, and smooth, PTA is a dreamy breakfast tea! The long wiry leaves give a nose of chocolate, raisin, and spice, with a warm and mellow sweetness. The opening taste matches that scent perfectly, with chocolate and raisin dominating. A sweetness comparable to brown sugar holds though the session while other nuances such as cream, caramel, malt and fruit peek in every once in a while. Our favorite thing about this tea is how it manages to be so intensely strong while still incredibly smooth and sweet!

About Whispering Pines Tea Company View company

This was kindly sent as a sample in my recent order. I don’t think I’m ever going to be an Assam convert — honestly, I guess I LIKE a bit of bitterness and heft in my black tea — but this was very smooth and seemed (in my very non-expert opinion) like a nicely-done Assam.

Brenden over at WP teas saw me mention Butiki’s PTA recently and told me Whispering Pines was now selling PTA!! Somehow I didn’t know this very important fact? I was ecstatic. Then Brenden sent over a sample. Even more ecstatic. THANKS VERY MUCH! PTA was one of Butiki’s glowing jewels (heck that was most of their teas, but definitely PTA). Premium Taiwanese Assam is a very unique tea and when Butiki closed, I wasn’t sure any other shop would ever carry it. I thought it would be lost forever.
I’m happy to report, this tea is in fact, even crazily similar to those harvests from a few years back now! That alone is amazing: similar harvests. On appearance, I compared this PTA to the older Butiki leaves, side by side, and they look exactly the same: color, length, width. Amazing again. Long, dusty, twisty, black leaves with the sweetest scent. The flavor simply can’t be compared to any other tea. How is a tea leaf so sweet? It’s like caramelized strawberry, with hints of grape, a maltiness, brown sugar. The brew is a light mahogany color. The first steep has the most distinct flavors, the second and third steep lose a little bit in the flavor strength, but still very delicious (I think this was because I was delicate with the parameters – I think with the Butiki if I steeped too hot or too long, the flavor would be mostly oaky… so it’s all in the delicate parameters.) The third steep seems to take on a cantaloupe note, while all three steeps have a syrupy mouthfeel. The closest tea I could think of to this would be a Ruby, but even that is entirely different from this tea. This is an essential cupboard tea for me. I’m so grateful that there is a source for this tea again! Thanks to whomever grows this lovely tea, and thanks so much for finding it, Brenden!
Steep #1 // 2 teaspoons for a full mug // 18 minutes after boiling // 2 minute steep
Steep #2 // 10 minutes after boiling // 2 1/2 minute steep
Steep #3 // 8 minutes after boiling // 3 min

Also, I can attest from my Butiki leaves of PTA that this tea ages fairly well over the years. It might lose a little flavor from the fresh tea, but certainly not as much as most teas can lose flavor. (Yes, I had to hoard the PTA when Butiki closed, but not so much now with Whispering Pines carrying it!)

Flavors: Brown Sugar, Cantaloupe, Caramel, Grapes, Malt, Strawberry

derk

What a lovely tea! I hope it’s still around when I’m ready for another Whispering Pines order.

Mastress Alita

Noting for when I can intake tea again. Sounds nice!

Thank you for the sample, Brenden.

205 °F / 96 °C 3 min, 0 sec 2 g 8 OZ / 236 ML
Martin Bednář

Sounds more lovely than I expect from these words

derk

It is a great Assam that I think would keep even the most ardent milk and sugar adorners from adding anything to their cup. I hope some more people try it soon.

Flavors: Coffee

The first steeping of this tea was fantastic. Thick liquor, a tad bit sweet, solid black tea flavor, some dried fruit flavor, and a gentle warm spice.

The PTA has returned! This tea made quite a splash about two or three years ago, and it is back with a vengeance! The leaves are long, wiry, and pitch black. They carry an explosive scent of sweet caramel, cocoa, roast, baked bread (waffles?), melted butter, and a dash of salt. Sweet and savory. I warmed up my shibo and dumbed them inside. A good shake and a sniff, and I am in heaven. The warmed leaf gives a firm kola root scent along with dark cocoa, burnt sugar, more melted butter, and aromatic roast. I washed the leaves once and began my steeping. The taste blasts off with a lingering, thick, sweet, lucky charms marshmallow taste. A light malt tone weaves itself in along with some lengthy vanilla bean notes. The base has a slight wood tone, and the brew is deeply oily. This tea is completely satisfying. The next steep backs away from the marshmallow tones and presents some more woodiness with a little throat dryness. A direct fruity note burst through; I would call it chocolate covered pomegranate. The next steeping carries some dark cherry and dry dark cocoa. The malt becomes a bit more pronounced towards the end. Honestly, this is a great tea, and it is something you have to try at least once. My only complaint is that the first steeping was stars and fireworks, and the next couple were good but a little too harsh of a contrast from the initial taste. Otherwise, this is a stellar treat.

Flavors: Baked Bread, Burnt Sugar, Butter, Caramel, Cherry, Cocoa, Cream, Dark Wood, Marshmallow, Salt, Smooth, Vanilla

Boiling 0 min, 15 sec 7 g 4 OZ / 130 ML