Qi Lan (Orchid) 奇兰

Oolong Tea Leaves
Cinnamon, Menthol, Mineral, Orchid, Sweet
Bulk, Loose Leaf
High
Edit tea info Last updated by eastkyteaguy

3 Images

• “Soft & gentle roast, honeyed sweet body. I found it fairly light with the orchid perfumes but there is a gentle hint of fruits in the background, I have found this with other WO teas. Its a...” Read full tasting note
  • “Another stellar tea from Cindy! I have to say that she ( or whoever she has doing this ) is a master at tea firing/roasting, her teas never seem to be over roasted, and yet they have just the...” Read full tasting note
  • “Smoooooth! Highly enjoyable, sweet with a hint of nut and oat/wheatberry. Has all the structure of a fine Yancha with the rock appearing in the mid-late steeps, a slight increase in salivation...” Read full tasting note
  • “I love this tea!!! I have tried a bunch of Wuyi Origin’s teas, and so far this one is my favorite. The flavor is sweet, the mineral taste typical of Wuyi tea, flowery orchid aroma (somewhat...” Read full tasting note

From Wuyi Origin

Produced by Wuyi Origin. They are a large family who produce fine teas and sell it themselves. From the farm, straight to your house.

About Wuyi Origin View company

Soft & gentle roast, honeyed sweet body. I found it fairly light with the orchid perfumes but there is a gentle hint of fruits in the background, I have found this with other WO teas. Its a good thing having fruit flickering in & out (especially for me who likes fruit-forward in everything), even if verrry subtle on this one.

The roast fades pretty quickly over the session into really subtle soft perfumed wuyi leaf oolong. Dark greens, good looking leaf.

‘it is quite welcome by most of the tea friends in China’ on the website, and ‘most approachable’ mentioned here. I think that sums it up.

tanluwils

Cindy’s qilan is one of my staple oolongs. It’s very clean and refreshing.

Another stellar tea from Cindy! I have to say that she ( or whoever she has doing this ) is a master at tea firing/roasting, her teas never seem to be over roasted, and yet they have just the perfect processing to bring out flavor and aroma while insuring at least some longevity. I even tried to intentionally " burn " a couple and they held up really well. Another plus since this means the teas are very forgiving regarding brewing.
Nose; Vanilla, hazelnut, cream, very light boiled greens, plum, violets, incense, round.
Palate; light berries, cassis, vanilla, slight malt, hazlenut, chestnut, very light chamomile, slight spice.

Smoooooth! Highly enjoyable, sweet with a hint of nut and oat/wheatberry. Has all the structure of a fine Yancha with the rock appearing in the mid-late steeps, a slight increase in salivation throughout. Glad I bought scads of it.

195 °F / 90 °C 0 min, 15 sec 8 g 160 OZ / 4731 ML
tanluwils

Good move. I also made a recent order. This is a very real tea. Distinctive structure and texture, unique flavor profile, and quite stable over many infusions.

I love this tea!!!

I have tried a bunch of Wuyi Origin’s teas, and so far this one is my favorite.
The flavor is sweet, the mineral taste typical of Wuyi tea, flowery orchid aroma (somewhat comparable to a tie guan yin) and cinnamon flavor. Very pleasant and smooth aftertaste as well. And like many of Wuyi Origin’s teas, it has a pleasant, very subtle menthol-like effect in the aftertaste.
It is like drinking tea brewed from the flowers of a tea tree with cinnamon bark. I really love this tea a lot!

Flavors: Cinnamon, Menthol, Mineral, Orchid, Sweet

tanluwils

This is the most approachable of the teas I’ve tried from Wuyi Origin. I’m a fan, too.

This came with a few other yanchas from Wuyi Rock Tea Factory (don’t know why the first person added the “shan”, but there you have it). Skyping regularly with Cindy has given me a better idea of her wealth of experience gained from her family’s multi-generation tea making business in Wuyi. It’s also allowed me to continue to practice Mandarin – a rare opportunity in my current weekly routine!

This is my first Qi Lan. Her yanchas are grown exclusively in either the Banyan or Zhengyan areas. It’s highly floral yet subtle in its crystalline rock/mineral sweetness. The roasted notes are still there, but will fade in a year. The taste is pure and quite straightforward. There is a thick body and depth to this tea. It has good clarity and a certain cleanliness, not just in the glass pitcher but also in the mouth.

It goes for 6 to 7 flavorful infusions, but could go a bit more had I added more leaf (this time just 5.5ish grams). There are no prices listed on Cindy’s website, but if you contact her yourself she’ll give you a good price. That might not be some folks’ do business, but that’s how it’s done in China.

JC

I like Qi Lan tea. Not just the Oolong, the material processed into black tea is really satisfying to me, you get hints of sweet cinnamon and other mellow spices as part of its complexity. I need to check them out.

tanluwils

I can imagine that being a good black tea. Funny you mention that, since I found her laocong shuixian was quite akin to a very high-end black tea with the sweet rock aroma of shuixian. I need more sessions with that one before I can share notes.