2013 Three Cranes 35035 Liu Bao Tea from Guangxi

Tea
Ash, Wet Wood, Chicken Soup, Floral, Orchid, Pleasantly Sour
Edit tea info Last updated by eastkyteaguy

5 Images

• “Pleasant kind of earthy, ashy smell and taste that is quite clean-tasting, when pushed (25-30s). When steeped lighter, a kind of wet wood, boat taste. The good point is the very strong lingering...” Read full tasting note
  • “This tea I had tried awhile ago but forgot to post the review for it, so this is the second time I have ordered it and reviewed it. I have to say I was in love with it immediately. I will confess...” Read full tasting note
  • “This tea is a mix of good and bad. There were no unpleasant flavors and certainly no wet storage flavors. You could say the dominant flavor was a sweet note. However it was weak and not truly...” Read full tasting note

From Yunnan Sourcing

35035 is the recipe number for this lovely light fermented Liu Bao tea from the oldest producer of Liu Bao in Guangxi (Three Cranes / Wuzhou Tea Factory). Much like ripe pu-erh tea, liu bao is wet piled for for several weeks to allow fermentation to take place. The degree of fermentation depends on the amount of time the tea is wet piled and can differ depending on the intended outcome. The 35035 is wet piled for about 20 days and still retains much of it’s “green” character. The result is a hyper smooth tea with umami, flower and savory soupiness.

This has been stored in 7 kilogram baskets since 2013 in Wuzhou (Guangxi). The wet storage conditions there have fast aged this tea, but at the same time the tea is not funky or moldy. If you want to purchase a 7 kilogram basket in a Three Cranes branded cloth cover please contact us!

About Yunnan Sourcing View company

Pleasant kind of earthy, ashy smell and taste that is quite clean-tasting, when pushed (25-30s). When steeped lighter, a kind of wet wood, boat taste. The good point is the very strong lingering aromatics in the mouth in the first case – almost like you sprayed perfume into your mouth, but without the alcohol’s stinging. Worthwile for the low price it demands.

Flavors: Ash, Wet Wood

Boiling 0 min, 30 sec 6 g 3 OZ / 100 ML

This tea I had tried awhile ago but forgot to post the review for it, so this is the second time I have ordered it and reviewed it. I have to say I was in love with it immediately. I will confess this is the only liu bao tea I have tried so I have no basis for comparison. However, I find this tea incredibly interesting and both robust and delicate. For me it conjures the image of willy wonka, if he had a tea (instead of an everlasting gobstopper) that turned from chicken soup and then into a flower. Odd image and not very professional ‘tea tester language’ I suppose but that’s what I keep getting with this tea on separate occasions of review.

Gongfu’d (but have steeped it western style before and noticed no real difference)

First steep (no wash). 30ish seconds 195 F lilac body with orchid notes immediately hit palate and it smooths out and leaves a slight floral , mostly lilac, flavor lingering. The brewed leaves and tea soup smell interesting, like creamy chicken noodle soup. Very savory and wonderful; there is the surprising twist of the tea being floral and sweet. A nice copper tea soup color.

2nd steep, 200F 30 seconds: the lilac is out in full front, the orchid is still there as well. Conjuring past memories of fresh ‘hawaiian orchid lei’ . The tea has developed some bitter notes, but doesn’t detract and is still very pleasant (and this from someone who normally hates bitter tastes). It pairs well and brings out the lilac flavors. (Anyone who has tasted or smelt lilacs knows that there is that slight pugnent bitterness to it, and that’s what I am getting here).

3rd steep, 195 30 seconds: Smooths out a little bit, flavors less pronounced but I wanted to bring the bitter down a little bit afraid that it will develop in a negative way. The orchid comes out a little more here. Still drinkable and floral but the flavors are dying down a little bit. Orchid notes lingering on the tongue. I would probably stay at 195 F in the future, but 200 works as well.

4th steep, 205 50 seconds: Experimenting at a higher temperature. Tea still drinkable and floral with orchid lingering on tongue with slight pleasant bitter notes. This is probably where I will drop off but it might be good for another 2 or 3 rounds I am just avoiding more caffeine intake at this late of an hour.

This tea is not very long-lasting; however, for myself, the ‘thick creamy chicken soup’ smell of the brewed leaves contrasting against the delicate and floral tea itself is kind of a novelty which I happen to enjoy. I find the price to be extremely en pointe (16.50/250 grams). I had planned on ordering more of this but ended up ordering other samples instead. Will probably order a larger batch in the future.

Flavors: Chicken Soup, Floral, Orchid, Pleasantly Sour

195 °F / 90 °C 0 min, 30 sec 5 g 3 OZ / 90 ML

This tea is a mix of good and bad. There were no unpleasant flavors and certainly no wet storage flavors. You could say the dominant flavor was a sweet note. However it was weak and not truly flavorful in nature. Who knows if this will improve and the sweet note get stronger. I do like this better than other Liu Baos I have tasted which have a heavy wet storage note.

I brewed this eight times in a 110ml teapot with 6.2g leaf and boiling water. I gave it a 10 second rinse. I steeped it for 5 sec, 5 sec, 7 sec, 10 sec, 15 sec, 20 sec, 25 sec, and 30 sec.

Boiling 6 g 4 OZ / 110 ML