Imperial Grade Silver Needle White Tea of Jinggu

Oolong Tea
White Tea Leaves
Candy, Dandelion, Green Apple, Hay, Lavender, Lemon, Lychee, Marshmallow, Mineral, Nectar, Powdered sugar, Sugarcane, Tart, Vanilla, Violet, Almond, Baked Bread, Citrus, Dry Grass, Floral, Green Bell Peppers, Honey, Lemon Zest, Mushrooms, Narcissus, Orchid, petrichor, Pleasantly Sour, Stewed Fruits, Sweet, Wood, Cream, Nutmeg
Bulk, Loose Leaf
Edit tea info Last updated by Togo

6 Images

• “Jinggu teas, we’ve been all miss and no hit until now. The liquor color is beautiful like other silver needle whites. It’s like women’s ‘champagne’ hair dye in a box. This one isn’t too flat in...” Read full tasting note
  • “This is a high quality Silver Needle tea that I can recommend to any white tea lover. Compared to Kenyan Silver Needle sourced by What-Cha, my favourite Silver Needle, this one is slightly less...” Read full tasting note
  • “I can’t remember the last time a white tea impressed me as much as this one did. Most of the ones I’ve tried recently were pretty forgettable, either bland or tasted like dry autumn leaves. But...” Read full tasting note

From Yunnan Sourcing

Our Spring 2018 Imperial Grade Silver Needle White Tea was picked in the first week of March from the tender buds of Jinggu area “Da Bai Hao” varietal tea trees.

The “Da Bai Hao” varietal is a natural hybrid of Assamica that is unique to the Jinggu area of Simao (in Yunnan).

Silver Needles White Tea (aka Bai Hao Yin Zhen) is a special tea where only the tender shoots (the bud) are picked, lightly wilted, pan-fried briefly at low temperature and then allowed to dry naturally (sometimes with the help of fans). This relatively unadulterated style of processing lends the Silver Needle tea a fruity and sweet taste and aroma that even with a year or two of age will still taste thick, viscous and full in the mouth.

About Yunnan Sourcing View company

Jinggu teas, we’ve been all miss and no hit until now. The liquor color is beautiful like other silver needle whites. It’s like women’s ‘champagne’ hair dye in a box. This one isn’t too flat in flavor for me but it is very subtle beyond the more pronounced aromas and flavors of linens, lychee?, nectar, minerals, marshmallow and vanilla. Perhaps hints of green apple candy and sugarcane; there’s something green about this tea but I can’t place it exactly. There’s also a nice lemony tartness to the the thin and soft body to keep things interesting. Later steeps move more along the lines of dandelion and hay. It’s really quite refreshing but not a whole lot to keep me engaged.

Oh, and by the way, have you ever smelled a Cabbage Patch Kid? Back in the 80s they had a distinct smell. That’s the taste of this tea to a tee. The color of hair dye and the taste of the smell of dolls. I may not be doing any favors by describing it thusly but if you know the smell, you’ll know what I mean :)

Thanks, Togo.

Addendum 1: The body of the tea really comes out with western steeping. It’s thick and coating followed by an awesome mineral-induced salivation and tongue tingling after the swallow. This tea has a wonderful cleanliness to it. Recommending it on the basis that it offers something different from other silver needles.

Addendum 2: When allowed to cool completely, the flavor reminds me of violet pastilles: that sweet sugar taste with purple florals and very slight bitterness. I also find it to be a body cooling tea versus the warming quality of other silver needles.
Bumping up the rating to 83+ Interesting tea :)

Flavors: Candy, Dandelion, Green Apple, Hay, Lavender, Lemon, Lychee, Marshmallow, Mineral, Nectar, Powdered sugar, Sugarcane, Tart, Vanilla, Violet

185 °F / 85 °C 7 g 5 OZ / 150 ML

This is a high quality Silver Needle tea that I can recommend to any white tea lover. Compared to Kenyan Silver Needle sourced by What-Cha, my favourite Silver Needle, this one is slightly less complex and evolving, but has a thicker body.

One of the most notable aspects is the smell of the leaves in the bag. It is a strong one and makes me feel like cutting fresh, forest grown porcini mushrooms. very different from any other smell of tea leaves I have experienced. The mushroom scent is also different from the one you would get in sheng. It is very fresh and sends me directly to the forest. In a preheated gaiwan, I notice additinal aromas of petrichor and dry grass. Once the water hits them, the leaves change their smell significantly. It becomes sweet and floral, with notes of honey, narcissus, lilium, green pepper and later on wood as well. Unlike LuckyMe, I couldn’t taste any marshmallows, I just got hints of their smell from the empty cup.

I found the taste to be a mix of savoury and sour. It is both refreshing and delicate at the same time. As for the flavours, there are notes of orchid, almond skin, bread, cactus and stewed fruits among many others I couldn’t quite pinpoint. The tea has a long and evolving aftertaste. It starts off somewhat tart, displaying qualities of lemon zest, green apple and pomelo. Over time, it transforms into a much sweeter affair.

The mouthfeel starts very soft and coating, but has a dry and numbing finish. Body is medium to full, especially the later infusions get fairly thick and viscous. On top of all that, there is also a noticeable cha qi, of the elevating/lightheaded kind.

Flavors: Almond, Baked Bread, Citrus, Dry Grass, Floral, Green Apple, Green Bell Peppers, Honey, Lemon Zest, Marshmallow, Mushrooms, Narcissus, Orchid, petrichor, Pleasantly Sour, Stewed Fruits, Sweet, Tart, Wood

195 °F / 90 °C 0 min, 30 sec 5 g 3 OZ / 100 ML

I can’t remember the last time a white tea impressed me as much as this one did. Most of the ones I’ve tried recently were pretty forgettable, either bland or tasted like dry autumn leaves. But this Silver Needle tea has such a sublime flavor, layered and nuanced without any of the earthiness or barnyard funk of other white teas. The dry leaves have a pleasant, inviting aroma of linen, dandelions, lavender, and hay. The flavor of the brewed tea is delicate and refined. It has a soft texture and undertones of cotton, cream, vanilla, and marshmallow along with a touch of nutmeg and green apple. A slight hay-like earthiness creeped in later as it continued steeping but nothing off-putting.

It was bedtime so I steeped this grandpa style with just a smattering of leaves in an 8oz glass. Water temperature was 175 F to start and then I topped off twice with boiling water. I used to brew whites at low temperatures around 160 F, but hotter water brings out a lot more character. For the price it’s an incredible value and I’m looking forward to seeing how this tea ages.

Flavors: Cream, Dandelion, Floral, Hay, Lavender, Marshmallow, Nutmeg, Vanilla

175 °F / 79 °C 1 g 8 OZ / 236 ML
Girl Meets Gaiwan

I’m new to exploring white teas – this sounds lovely!

eastkyteaguy

I absolutely love Jinggu silver needles. I have this one in storage and need to try it pretty soon.