2013 "Bamboo Aroma" Tian Jian Hei Cha * 200 grams

Tea
Bamboo, Dark Chocolate, Roasted, Smoke, Sweet, Thick, Bitter, Chocolate, Cookie, Grapes, Metallic, Musty, Oats, Raisins, Toasty
Edit tea info Last updated by eastkyteaguy

9 Images

From Yunnan Sourcing

Tian Jian tea from Anhua County of Hunan packed in aromatic bamboo leaves and baked (low temperature) dry in the leaves. This process imparts a unique taste and aroma providing the Tian Jian aficionado with yet another reason to enjoy this wonderful tea.

The taste is thick and sweet, with smoke, carmelized sugar and roast oolong. An inexpensive tea well worth the price.

200 grams of tea per pack

2013 Harvest and Production

About Yunnan Sourcing View company

Preheated 85 ml gaiwan. Notes of chocolate, bitterness. No rinse, just 15 seconds first steep.

1st steep (aka rinse)
Quite sweet, but full bodied. Light smoke notes. Thick.

After almost 3 hours at garden. All humidity is in the leaves :)

2nd steep
15 seconds again.
Notes of smoke are still in, thick, dark chocolate.

3rd steep
30 seconds.
Smoke more present, more dark chocolate notes, bit roasted. Very thick.

4th
45 seconds
Smoke taste transformed into roasted notes. Interesting change. Also chocolate notes are disappearing.

5th
45 seconds
It tastes like semi-roasted oolong. Roasted pears, maybe – with little of nice notes of bamboo. Very long mouth-feel.

6th
60 seconds
Very similar to previous one, but bit weaker.

7th
75 seconds
Roasted oolong with woody flavours. That would describe it best I think.

Some technical data:
85 ml gaiwan, preheated, then cold only.
4.5 grams of tea.
Drinking more than 4 hours, but three hours I did not made any single steep, as I was in garden.
Chocolate pairing: Framboise intense by Lindt.

In garden I had to showel lots of soil so all my body hurts. Mostly my back. Did some weeding too. Lots of “nipplewort” plants were there – I like the name and I have not seen them before there.

I was surprised it was so full in taste, and that it was like oolong a bit.

I have not passed today exam, but it was kind of expected. But it was not really hard. Much easier than expected, I just need to study more. Mostly theory.

I am going to work in summer – today I received an e-mail that they count with me and they will send me date for medical check-up.

Flavors: Bamboo, Dark Chocolate, Roasted, Smoke, Sweet, Thick

0 min, 45 sec 5 g
derk

It’s nice to get some exercise in the garden. I searched for nipplewort and found out it is edible.

Do you get to retake your exam? Congrats on getting work this summer.

Kittenna

I also got exercise in my garden today, and my back is sore! My trusty helper (aka husband) had to work today, so it was just me doing the weeding AND planting.

Martin Bednář

derk – I found that as well, but when I talked with my mother about it we decided to not try it. But actually it is interesting plant. Yep, I will retake it 1st of July. Thanks.

Kittenna – so you know my pain :D, but as derk mentioned, it is nice sometimes.

2013 “Bamboo Aroma” Tian Jian Hei Cha. Sold by yunnan sourcing.

Dry leaf: musty, sweet.

Wet leaf: sweet, raisins, grapes, chocolate.

Light steep; I smell/taste:
(Smell) light —→ chalky, cookies, chocolate.
(Taste) light —→ grapes, raisins, dark chocolate, metallic(iron).

Medium steep; I smell/taste:
(Smell) light —→ chalky, toasty.
(Taste) slight metallic(iron).
light —→ oats, chocolate, raisins

Heavy steep; I smell/taste:
(Smell) slight chalky, chocolate(?).
(Taste) light bitterness.
Medium —→ grapes, raisins.

All in all. A yummy tea. UNIQUE! grapes, raisins. I never had that before. It’s yummy, however I’m not accustomed to the taste. So I rate a 95/100. I suggest you give it a try.

Flavors: Bitter, Chocolate, Cookie, Dark Chocolate, Grapes, Metallic, Musty, Oats, Raisins, Sweet, Toasty

195 °F / 90 °C 12 g 8 OZ / 250 ML