Tai Ping Hou Kui Green Tea from Anhui - Spring 2019

Green Tea
Green Tea Leaves
Floral, Freshly Cut Grass, Green Beans, Salty, Seaweed, Broth
Edit tea info Last updated by LuckyMe

• “Brewed this up today in my glass flute brewer. 3 g, 80c. Dry leaf had a bit of a spinach smell but I seem to remember last year’s being a bit fruity. I could be wrong on that because I didn’t...” Read full tasting note
  • “Man, if only this tea tasted as good as it looks. The beautiful long green blades of this Tai Ping Hou Kui are quite a sight to see but the flavor is just sorta meh. I grandpa steeped about 3 or 4...” Read full tasting note

From Yunnan Sourcing

Our Tai Ping Hou Kui is grown in Hou Gang village near Huangshan Mountain in Anhui. It was harvested in mid-April (first flush) from a decades-old tea garden at about 300 meters. The tea is hand-fried in a wok for several minutes (kill-green) and then roasted in a four drawer system at progressively lower temperatures. Roasting is achieved in about an hour, after which the tea leaves are laid out by hand on a smooth piece of paper or fabric. Next, the leaves are pressed between the paper using wooden blocks. Finally, the tea is low-temperature roasted to further reduce moisture content so that it can be stored sealed, thereby maintaining freshness and extending the shelf life of this beautifully unique tea.

Our Tai Ping Hou Kui is a medium-high grade that delivers an incredible price to value ratio and is sure not to disappoint even seasoned drinkers of Tai Ping Hou Kui. The taste is fresh and sweet and delivers 3 to 5 infusions.

Harvested in mid-April

About Yunnan Sourcing View company

Brewed this up today in my glass flute brewer. 3 g, 80c. Dry leaf had a bit of a spinach smell but I seem to remember last year’s being a bit fruity. I could be wrong on that because I didn’t write a review last year but I know something was a bit different.

First infusion – 1 min – Fresh cut grass , green beans & fleeting floral notes
Second & third were brewed for same amount of time and both were a little bit stronger than the first infusion. No bitterness in any of the infusions but a bit astringent with a hint of sweetness. It was good but it seemed it was missing something that was in last year’s. I am almost sure last year was a bit fruity.

Last year I bought this tea from both YS and Teavivre and found them pretty similar. I did not buy this tea from Teavivre this year but the price comparision is pretty much the same and it appears they both come from the same place near Huangshan, Anhui.

Overall, I still enjoyed this tea but feel it is just a bit different from last year’s harvest.

Flavors: Floral, Freshly Cut Grass, Green Beans

180 °F / 82 °C 1 min, 0 sec 3 g 5 OZ / 160 ML
LuckyMe

I agree, there probably isn’t much difference between vendors if they all get their tea from the same region. I liked last year’s crop too, but that’s why every harvest is a crapshoot. Tea changes so much from one harvest to another.

Ubacat

That’s so true. I am so nervous to try a new harvest when I loved it last year. So far I haven’t had that many greens that fall into the amazing category this year.

I grandpa steeped about 3 or 4 leaves which is 1.5g in an 8oz glass using 180 F water. The smell of the leaves is briny like kelp and seaweed salad, and slightly marine. I won’t lie it’s a litte off-putting. Thankfully, the smell doesn’t make it into the taste. The liquor is almost colorless and has a very subtle, barely there flavor. There are some vegetal and light grass notes that appear after it steeps for a while but the taste isn’t really distinctive and almost feels like you’re drinking hot water. When it does finally develop some flavor, astringency appears shortly thereafter.

Honestly, I’m kind of annoyed by super delicate green teas such as this one. Huang Shan Mao Feng is another famous tea with a similar flavor. They might be better suited for occasional green tea drinkers who don’t like grassiness but I find them really bland.

I did have a Tai Ping Hou Kui from Teavivre last year that was decent so I’m sure there are better versions of this tea. This is my first time trying it from Yunnan Sourcing and unfortunately this one just doesn’t do it for me.

Flavors: Green Beans, Salty, Seaweed

180 °F / 82 °C 1 g 8 OZ / 236 ML
tea-sipper

That leaf is gorgeous though!

LuckyMe

No doubt about that. This one easily wins the green tea beauty contest.

Kittenna

Sometimes I like those ultra-lightly-flavoured teas. But astringency coming before there’s really even any flavour? Not appealing.

Ubacat

Maybe it’s just the 2019 cultivar. I really liked the 2018 one and found it was pretty similar to Teavivre’s Tai Ping Hou Kui. I brew mine in a glass flute brewer and use about 15 leaves/ brew 1 min first infusion. Can’t remember other infusions but it was always fruity & sweet.

tanluwils

It kinda looks like kelp too. I feel ya on being annoyed at dainty greens. I will say that I’ve had some excellent huangshan maofeng while living in China—it was super fresh and textured, but the stuff that makes it out of the country is a bit meh.

LuckyMe

@Ubacat, whoa 15 leaves sounds hardcore…those leaves can fairly large. I will gradually increase my leaf quantity and see what happens…sometimes you need more leaf with these delicate teas.

@tanluwils I’m pretty sure the Chinese are drinking higher quality tea overall than we are. I’ve heard the better teas get snapped up in China before they can leave the country.

Ubacat

The leaves look large but they are very light in weight and light in taste. I need that many leaves to get a full fruity taste. I like my teas light too , so trust me, It won’t be too strong. Actually, I think my first brew was somewhere between 30 sec and 1 min. Can’t remember now. I ran out of it a few months ago…..

LuckyMe

Thanks for the tips, I’ll give that a try.