1998 Raw Basket Aged "133" Liu Bao Tea

Pu-erh Tea
Bulk, Loose Leaf
Edit tea info Last updated by Togo
Boiling 0 min, 15 sec 7 g 5 oz / 140 ml

• “Gongfu Sipdown (1455)! Finished this one off during the afternoon while also also breaking in some gorgeous new Qinghao teaware pieces from a recent Crafted Leaf Teas order!! I love the distinct...” Read full tasting note
  • “This is the oldest Liu Bao I’ve had to date iirc. It does breathe with age, and it would be a good choice for those who like earthy, sweet profile with a strong camphor note. Dry leaves have a...” Read full tasting note

From Yunnan Sourcing

This is a raw (not wet piled) Liu Bao tea aged for more than 20 years already! It’s ultra clean tasting and steeps 10+ times while keep flavor. It’s not a graded Liu Bao, meaning it was picked with leaf and buds together and was never separated into different leaf grades. This means you get the tea in the form that has the most depth and completeness with this tea!

Taste is strong but not overpowering, with notes of tropical hardwood, betel nut, osmanthus, and incense. There is not even a little bit of mustiness at all! There is very long lasting mouth feel with this tea and the cha qi strong!

If you are looking for a clean aged Liu Bao or just want to try an excellent 20+ years aged tea then this will surely be a worthwhile choice!

400 Grams per basket (smaller portions available for purchase without the basket)

About Yunnan Sourcing View company

Gongfu Sipdown (1455)!

Finished this one off during the afternoon while also also breaking in some gorgeous new Qinghao teaware pieces from a recent Crafted Leaf Teas order!! I love the distinct heavy and dank earthiness of heicha so much, and this one is very interesting with some very brothy & resinous notes of cocobolo wood, golden raisins, peat and damp forest undergrowth, and casacara! It hits so deep, with some really grounding and complex flavours that are making for a really serene afternoon session!

My only complaint is that it steeped out more quickly than I’d have liked. I got like eight or nine good steeps and I would have easily been able to sit down and enjoy a session double that length without coming close to tiring of these amazing flavours.

This was another sample that I recieved from Togo – so far I’ve been very impressed with the different heicha samples he provided me and in general I’m enjoying the teas from Yunnan Sourcing much more than I had expected to. I’ve found several I would order for myself, and I’m including this among that list.

Photos: https://www.instagram.com/p/CULMaR0r8K6/

Song Pairing: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OzDSoIEsmlU&ab_channel=anjimile

Dry leaves have a nutty smell of dungeon with a light smokiness to it. After the rinse, the aroma is sweet and earthy with notes of beetroot, courgette, and whey.

First proper infusion is sweet, nutty and mineral, with a slightly biting, cooling and cavernous mouthfeel. The liquor texture is buttery and colloidal. Second steep is more savoury and milky. It is followed by a strong aftertaste that’s a mix of vanilla and camphor. This one is thicker and numbing in the mouth.

Later on, the profile is a bit more woody, with notes of caramel and forest floor. If pushed, the tea also has a pleasant bubbly quality.

It is not the longest lasting tea out there, but I find the 200ml/g one can get from it to be reasonable. Plus, the tea can be boiled after a session to produce final few strong infusions.

Flavors: Biting, Camphor, Caramel, Earth, Forest Floor, Milk, Mineral, Nutty, Smoke, Sweet, Vanilla, Wet Earth, Wood, Zucchini

Boiling 0 min, 15 sec 7 g 5 OZ / 140 ML