Thanks to PeteG, who added this to the Traveling Tea Box. So much like a sweet red wine … that’s what i kept thinking as i drank the Sawadee Lychee Black tea. It’s been cold here in Texas, and this wasn’t a wine cooler … it was a wine warmer! The dry tea smelled nice and fruity, just like lychee fruit, in fact. I’ve had 3 other lychee blacks in the past, and none of them had the full-fledged fruitiness of this tea. I drank the whole cup, straight up, as i couldn’t bear to muddle it with milk, and it was sweet enough on its own. This tea got cloudy as it cooled, so that’s something to consider if you’re making iced tea, but i bet it would taste pretty darned good anyway.

Note: I’m open to offers to swap tea samples. If you can’t message me, just comment on one of my tea notes, and I’ll respond.

I am fascinated and deeply impressed by the artistry and skill which coaxes such an array of qualities from one species of leaf. In 2009, I founded San Antonio Tea & Herb Enthusiasts. For intimate tastings with a small gathering, I’m practicing Asian-style tea service along the lines of Chinese gongfu cha yi. It’s a joy, turning people on to good tea! http://www.meetup.com/SA-Tea-Herb/

The most recent sign of my conversion to the deeply-steeped side: I’ve turned three large file boxes into “tea humidors” for aging pu-erh cakes and bricks at 65% humidity. Remote sensors within the “pumidors” relay the temperature and humidity readings to a base station on my desk.

I write about tea culture for the Examiner online newspaper: http://www.examiner.com/x-49007-San-Antonio-Tea-Examiner

My tea rating system:

0 – 10 … Ugh, throw it out
11 – 20 … Barely drinkable
21 – 40 … Passes for decent tea
41 – 60 … Good but unremarkable
61 – 80 … Delicious cuppa
81 – 90 … Wonder-full !
91 – 100 … The Stuff of Legends !

San Antonio TX USA