Mid-90's Aged Feng Huang DanCong

Oolong Tea
Edit tea info Last updated by the_skua

From Hou De Asian Art & Fine Teas

Harvest: mid-90’s

Method: Hand-harvesting

Location: WuDong, Feng Huang county, Guang Dong

Description: Indeed a rare treat for devoted dancong lovers and tea connoisseurs alike! Produced in mid 90’s and always stored in feng huang county, this aged dancong has been carefully looked after by the same producer.

The dry leaves are slender and long, and surprisingly complete for an aged tea. I appreciate the tender care it has been given. The color is black or dark brown.

The liquor has a delightful light amber color, and an excellent clarity. I was a bit wordless when I took the first sniff of its aroma: very interesting plum-like hearty acid feeling decorated the dancong’s unique and rich floral fragrance. A whiff of coolness, very soothing and clean, no roasted smell at all. On the other hand, it is kind of familiar to me… oh, it reminded me of our 70’s aged bao zhong! The pleasant fruity scent was presented in every cup.

Taste honestly reflects the impression of its aroma: tasty fruitiness that was very soothing and quenching, with an elegant and refined texture. But be warned: this is a strong tea! If fact, my first brewing was so intense that I have to adjust the amount of tea leaves to get the best balance of it. Extra lingering capacity! This is a tea that you can tune to be like a sweet-heart with very charming and soothing aroma, or tune to a robust energy drink.

About Hou De Asian Art & Fine Teas View company

Finally, I may have used enough leaf to find this tea enjoyable. Packing my small gaiwan near to the top with these big twisted wires, I was able to get some really fun flavors out of this tea. The initial steep was a fruit and blossom bomb, with tons of white peach, papaya, and nectarine, all backed with subtle hints of cocoa powder, sandalwood, and white pepper. Underlying all of this was a subtle, silky texture and flavor of fresh, perfectly-cooked scallop meat, reminiscent of the really enjoyable pink shrimp flesh I found in a younger Hou De dan cong. Ramping up the amount of leaf and following Tea Habitat’s brewing guidelines (http://tea-obsession.blogspot.com/2008/01/how-to-brew-dan-cong.html) really produced a nice session this morning.

deftea

You really make me want to try this tea. I have a similarly aged Feng Huang DC from Dragon Tea House that I just can’t get to work for me. Tastes too much like shu puerh. Did you get the leathery tastes of puerh in this?

the_skua

It doesn’t taste anything like shu puerh to me. It’s got it’s own thing going on. It does have leather, but in a soft, fresh, dry kind of way. Similar to how figs or golden pipe tobacco might give off. Not in the earthy, umami, mushroom-like way that a shu puerh might.

One of the worst aged Dancong’s I have had. Its bitter in the bad way, slightly sickly floral and that is about it.