Coconut Cream Pie Honeybush

Coconut, Cream, Sweet, Custard, Pastries, Vanilla, Alcohol, Wood
Caffeine Free
Edit tea info Last updated by Mandy

2 Images

• “Here’s Hoping TTB I do love a good coconut tea and this one didn’t disappoint! Lots of sweet, creamy coconut flavor on a nice smooth honeybush base. (I wish there were more herbal dessert teas made...” Read full tasting note
  • “There are so many different 52Teas coconut blends I didn’t realize this was different from Coconut Cheesecake honeybush. So this is a new one for me, even though I know I love the old version of...” Read full tasting note
  • “Blind pick number 4. First impression of dry leaf scent is coconut rum. Yup smells just like it. Steeped it still smells quite a bit like alcohol but more coconutty(not even a word but I like...” Read full tasting note
  • “Backlog: While I do prefer the black tea version of the coconut cream pie, I did enjoy this honeybush version. 52Teas makes a killer coconut cream pie tea! I do like how the natural nutty notes...” Read full tasting note

From 52teas

Sweet, caffeine-free African honeybush combined with our signature honking-big coconut flakes and organic flavors. Our Coconut Cream Pie black tea is one of our all-time bestsellers. I can’t fathom why we haven’t made a honeybush version of it yet, but I’m here to fix that now.

About 52teas View company

Here’s Hoping TTB

I do love a good coconut tea and this one didn’t disappoint! Lots of sweet, creamy coconut flavor on a nice smooth honeybush base. (I wish there were more herbal dessert teas made with honeybush instead of rooibos.) I think I’m keeping this one!

Flavors: Coconut, Cream, Sweet

Boiling 8 min or more 1 tsp 10 OZ / 295 ML

There are so many different 52Teas coconut blends I didn’t realize this was different from Coconut Cheesecake honeybush. So this is a new one for me, even though I know I love the old version of Coconut Cream Pie black. (Just to note: All of my 52Teas blends are still Frank’s blends – no new ones yet!) And oh boy there is coconut flavor in this one! Plenty of flavor with a nice tanginess to balance it out. (Shouldn’t more tangy be found in the cheesecake blend though?) The coconut is the big flakey type – my favorite dried coconut in a tea. I really need to enjoy this one before the coconut goes bad, but I think this type of coconut lasts longer in tea than others though. Coconut blends are my first priority, I guess! I always appreciated that 52Teas was really the only shop with flavored honeybush.
Steep #1 // heaping teaspoon // few minutes after boiling // 1 minute steep
Steep #2 // just boiled // 2-3 min

Blind pick number 4. First impression of dry leaf scent is coconut rum. Yup smells just like it. Steeped it still smells quite a bit like alcohol but more coconutty(not even a word but I like it).
Taste is all coconut with just the barest thought of alcohol.
Overall it is good but probably not a repurchase.

Backlog:

While I do prefer the black tea version of the coconut cream pie, I did enjoy this honeybush version. 52Teas makes a killer coconut cream pie tea! I do like how the natural nutty notes and honey sweetness goes with the coconut-y, creamy, pastry-like flavors. It’s also nice that it’s caffeine free so it’s a nice way to indulge late at night without worrying about the coconut cream pie going to the thighs.

It gets a thumbs up from me.

I was feeling rather dissatisfied with my caffeine free beverage options this evening until I remembered that I had this deliciously creamy coconut-y treat in my cupboard. Win! Tonight I’m even getting a hint of pastry as the tea cools which adds a fun twist to the tea. It does taste a little bit like coconut cream pie. I kind of want to add cream to my cup, but I’m afraid I’ll lose the pastry, and possibly some of the coconut, flavor that way. That would be a shame, so I’ll just sit here and enjoy this one just the way it is.

Mikumofu

Coconut milk might be able to add the creaminess to this one while keeping the flavor, I’d been adding it to similar teas lately so it might be worth a try!

Veronica

I’ll have to try that!

Another sample from Mandy! There are a few pieces of dodgy-looking coconut mixed in with the honeybush. They almost look (and feel) like paper… weird. I do smell coconut, but it also has that alcoholic flavoring smell that I’ve been finding in so many flavored teas lately. I did a 5 minute steep in boiling water, and used a little over a teaspoon of tea.

The brewed tea smells lightly of coconut, and heavily of vanilla pudding! :O Exciting! Meh… Taste-wise, the flavor is a bit weak for me, I think in the future I’ll use two teaspoons. The flavor this is there is rather good, though! Very creamy and vanilla pudding-ish, with plenty of coconut. I get something resembling crust in the aftertaste, probably just as a result of the honeybush base and not the flavoring.

Overall, this is quite good! I find it to be mostly accurate to coconut cream pie, it definitely has the coconut and the cream down if not the crust as much. Reminds me of pudding, yum! I won’t have any trouble drinking the rest of my sample. :D

Edit: I think the actual coconut pieces in here might be past their expiration… I’m getting a weird sour taste on the tail end of some sips. I’ll remove them and try again another time.

Flavors: Coconut, Cream, Custard, Pastries, Vanilla

Boiling 5 min, 0 sec 1 tsp 8 OZ / 236 ML
Mandy

Wow seemed we had vastly different experiences with this. This is one of the only times that I’ve had a tea that smelled like alcohol. And unfortunately it’s also the only tea that steeped up and still tasted like straight alcohol to me. Hot liquor.

Cameron B.

Gross! I’ve noticed the alcohol smell (in dry leaf) a lot with flavored teas lately, even with Stacy’s tea. Obviously, it was gone after steeping. I just kind of assumed that it’s a common byproduct of using flavorings. :P

Lariel of Lórien

I’ve gotten the alcohol smell in their chocolate rooibos.

Mandy

I’ve never noticed the alcohol smell in any other teas except another 52teas Honeybush, which is why it’s so weird to me. Like even other 52teas smell like things even if it’s artificial smelling. I was very disappointed.

This is my first honeybush. The dry leaf smells very strongly of alcohol, like I’m sniffing a liquor and not a tea. Upon sipping, the first thing I taste is alcohol. Even with sweetening it tastes like I should be getting a buzz. There’s also a subtle sort of woodsy note, that I’m assuming is the honeybush. But definitely no coconut, no cream, and no pie. Not even a coconut rum cake sort of effect. Just alcohol. I don’t know if I got a bad bag or what, but I’m disappointed.

Flavors: Alcohol, Wood

Boiling 5 min, 0 sec 1 tsp 8 OZ / 236 ML
Southern Boy Teas

You might try airing your tea out a little bit. Pour it out onto a baking sheet or something and spread it out. Give it 15-20 minutes, stirring it around a couple of times during the process. You shouldn’t have to do this, but alcohol is used in our flavors as a carrying agent. As it evaporates, it carries the flavoring through the tea. It SHOULD have all evaporated as we were blending it, but occasionally, for some reason, we might end up with some of the tea that the alcohol didn’t properly evaporate from. I’m afraid I’m running into this a little more frequently now that I’m doing larger batches of tea. I’m going to have to redouble my efforts to make sure everything is blended extra well.

Mandy

Ok, I just put it in a dish, and I’m letting it air out. Fingers crossed! I thought it was weird because I’ve tried a few of your guys teas, and always had positive experiences!