Apple Spice Black Tea

High
Organic
Edit tea info Last updated by Shae

From 52teas

Tea of the Week for November 9, 2015!

I hadn’t really planned on doing another apple tea for a while, mostly because last year we seemed to be bombarded by apple-y teas from 52Teas and I kind of felt like maybe people had had enough of apple for a while. But, since this is kind of a new company, or at least a turning over a new leaf for an established company, there’s nothing wrong with adding another apple tea to the lineup, is there? Especially when I had a request for one.

This is not so much an “Apple Spice” tea as it is an “Apple Cinnamon” tea but since 52Teas did release an Apple Cinnamon Rooibos previously, I decided to replace the word “Cinnamon” with “Spice” for this blend. But this tea is simply apples and cinnamon with my hearty, robust black tea base. And it’s quite tasty!

Organic Ingredients: black teas, dried apple bits, cinnamon pieces and natural ingredients.

Steep: 1 tsp of tea to 12 oz. boiling water. Steep 2 1/2 – 5 minutes. Allow tea to cool 10 minutes after brewing for best flavor.

About 52teas View company

Having this with spiced mashed sweet potatoes and red grapes for a mid-morning snack. The dry leaf is long and dark with large chunks of apple thrown in. This does smell spiced, but not as much like cinnamon to me. I can’t place what it is exactly. I didn’t steep this according to the package directions (accidentally) so I’m not sure if it tastes as good as it should.

Flavors: Astringent, Spices

My recollection of this tea is positive, especially when I give it a sniff. Actual apple(!) and a black base instead of green. Wasn’t too enthused about this to start, but I believe I’ll enjoy finishing it off.

I like everything involved with this. That being said, I found both the apple and spice to be weaker than I generally prefer.

I hadn’t been overly enthusiastic about adding yet another apple tea in my stash. That said…

I welcomed the abundant apple bits in the dry leaf and its promising scent of apple and bit of spice.

I steeped quickly to ensure that the black tea base doesn’t overpower the flavourings.

The flavour is beautiful: apple, in the sense of homemade apple pie filling. A bit cinnamon. Possibly the teeniest bit of clove and allspice. Even the vaguest sense of the butteriness of pastry and cream followed up by the slightest citrusy tang of fresh apple.

A delicious beautifully balanced tea.

Flavors: Apple, Cinnamon, Clove, Cream, Pastries