Jasmine, Yunnan Black Tea
Honey, Jasmine, Malt, Sweet, Ocean Breeze
High
Edit tea info Last updated by Wilson Maldaner
Boiling 3 min, 0 sec 7 g 10 oz / 310 ml

• “Dear glorb, who would have thought jasmine and black tea would marry so wonderfully in flavor and aroma? This is the best jasmine-scented tea I’ve ever had. So easy to drink. The Yunnan black...” Read full tasting note
  • “…what MTCHYG said…ditto Tasting Alice has been the Eureka Moment of my fine tea odyssey. I don’t have the expertise to define exactly what makes this wonderful tea from Whispering Pines so...” Read full tasting note
  • “Brenden, you magnificent son of a bitch. You really did it with this one. I remember specifically having tea with Brenden and listening to him talk about the field of jasmine he rode past on his...” Read full tasting note
  • “It is hard to go wrong with the Golden Snail tea base, opening the packet there is an overwhelming smell of a misty fresh jasmine that permeates the golden leaves. It comes through very strongly...” Read full tasting note

From Whispering Pines Tea Company

After years of seeking the perfect jasmine black tea, the search comes to this — Alice. The highest quality Yunnan black tea scented perfectly with warm, inviting jasmine.

Rich, powerful jasmine wafting through fields of malt and honey…It’s almost impossible to believe how much magic can fit in one tea, though some of us try to believe at least 6 impossible things before breakfast.

Well, cheers, I’m off to think of 5 more! ;-)
-Brenden Gebhart

About Whispering Pines Tea Company View company

Dear glorb, who would have thought jasmine and black tea would marry so wonderfully in flavor and aroma? This is the best jasmine-scented tea I’ve ever had. So easy to drink. The Yunnan black really brings the heady florals of jasmine down a notch despite the strong yet pleasing non-perfumey aroma of the contents of the bag. Jasmine top note, fruity mid and cocoa base. Thick, sweet and some astrigency that I find pleasing and may be well masked if you’re the type of person to add milk to your tea. Interesting kind of spicy warming feeling that sticks around. This tea is very pricey but M. Whispering Pines is a master at the blending/scenting game. Curiosity wins again.

Edit: I keep upping the rating as I think about it more.

(Western, 1tsp, 8oz, 212F, 3/5m)

Boiling 3 min, 0 sec 1 tsp 8 OZ / 236 ML
__Morgana__

Sounds yum!

Girl Meets Gaiwan

Ooh, very interesting!

LuckyMe

Sounds delicious. Verdant has a jasmine scented Golden Fleece black tea that’s really good too.

Mastress Alita

Even I’d be willing to try this one, and we know how I typically get on with jasmine…

derk

If you did ok with the Pomelo Fragrance Oolong, you’ll probably be ok with this one.

…what MTCHYG said…ditto

Tasting Alice has been the Eureka Moment of my fine tea odyssey. I don’t have the expertise to define exactly what makes this wonderful tea from Whispering Pines so magnificent, but it is certainly the finest cup of tea I’ve ever tasted. I realize that it sounds as though I’m heaping a ton of hyperbole into this review; please believe me – this tea is exceptional and deserves all the praise I’m throwing at it.

Disclosure: I am a huge fan of jasmine in tea. If you are not, this may not be a flavor profile you would love. I appreciate the scent of both tea and jasmine – having both fragrances surround me just enhances the taste of both for me when a truly great black or oolong tea base is accompanied by the addition of natural jasmine blossoms. (I can skip the jasmine green teas – they usually don’t excite me). With Alice, WP has introduced the ultimate in sensory overload for those of us who love the taste of a truly fine tea coupled with the fragrance of jasmine.

Using Golden Snail Black Tea as the base, I didn’t expect to fall in love. I am a fan of oolongs and have never fully appreciated black teas. I have been converted!

When I discovered Whispering Pines, I think Alice had just made its debut as one of his offerings. I ordered an ounce of it along with several other of his great teas and began enjoying each one in sequence until I opened and tried Alice. This batch was apparently limited in the amount crafted and offered – it was already Out of Stock when I jumped online to order more!!! I am on the waiting list for notification once more is available and I will definitely be purchasing much more than my first measly one-ounce supply – I am rationing myself in the hopes of replenishing my stock before it’s totally gone.

Someone on another site mentioned that they also loved Alice but found it to be too expensive for everyday enjoyment – I strongly disagree. Less expensive tea that isn’t all that interesting is VERY costly, especially if you have to force yourself to drink it just to make it go away. I can’t afford a lot of things, but well-crafted, fine quality tea is an affordable luxury, IMHO.

Brenden, you magnificent son of a bitch. You really did it with this one.

I remember specifically having tea with Brenden and listening to him talk about the field of jasmine he rode past on his bike and how it triggered this whole adventure of his into blending. I connected with that because I also adore the scent of jasmine and jasmine scented teas.

So, I know that this has to be a special blend for him. And it really, really is a special blend. It takes two of my favorite things in tea, a glorious golden snail tea and the scent of a high quality jasmine, and blends them beautifully. Seriously, between the visuals of the golden snail and the smell of the jasmine… this is one of the more perfect teas I have had.

Brenden, please. PLEASE. Keep this in your rotation.

Flavors: Honey, Jasmine, Malt, Sweet

Boiling 3 min, 0 sec 7 g 16 OZ / 473 ML
derk

This review really has me looking forward to trying the most recent Alice for the first time!

mtchyg

Derk, I just got a new spring order of this in. Excited to try it and see how it compares to last year.

It is hard to go wrong with the Golden Snail tea base, opening the packet there is an overwhelming smell of a misty fresh jasmine that permeates the golden leaves. It comes through very strongly in the first steep and balances well with the bold flavour of the base, it is smooth and in no ways bitter when steeped for the measured times. This is my favourite black jasmine of all that I have tried, the taste of this tea is pleasant in all areas of the mouth and the aftertaste is an enjoyable continuation of all components of the warm and sweet flavours without the traditional dry mouth astringency that usually accompanies black jasmine teas. The second steep rings truer to the base tea when done for the recommended 5 minutes but still retains 75% of the jasmine flavour which was a nice surprise. Keep a tight air seal on this tea so you don’t lose the misty freshness of the jasmine .

Flavors: Honey, Jasmine, Malt, Ocean Breeze