Chai Houjicha

Chai Green Blend
Black Peppercorn, Cardamom Pods, Hojicha, Organic Cinnamon, Organic Cloves, Organic Ginger, Organic Natural Flavors (Vegan)
Cinnamon, Clove, Nutty, Spices, Toasty
Low
Organic, Vegan
Edit tea info Last updated by LiberTEAS

• “I got this as a free sample along with my order of 5 sample packs of Toasted Marshmallow Hojicha! (I was stocking up lol) I wish that the season for chai wasn’t nearing an end because this...” Read full tasting note
  • “It’s incredibly late (or perhaps very early, depending upon how you view it) but I needed some tea. This is the tea of the week this week. I wanted to do something with Houjicha this month...” Read full tasting note

From 52teas

Tea of the Week for October 10, 2016!

As I sit here, tasting this, it’s just a couple of days past the first day of FALL – my favorite time of year! There are a couple of reasons why it’s my favorite time of year. First, I love the change in temperature. The change of color outside with all the beautiful orange, red and yellow leaves is wonderfully inspiring but the main reason fall is my favorite season is the change in temperature. That cool, crisp air of autumn is certainly a welcome respite from the heat of summer (and in August around here, it usually gets down-right unbearable!) And the cooler temperatures not only mean it’s time to start wearing warm, fluffy sweaters and cozy wool socks but hot tea is much more enjoyable this time of year – and especially “chai” teas. (Yes, I know that “chai” translates simply to “tea” and means all tea types but around here when I think “chai” I think of a nicely spiced tea.)

If I had to narrow my ‘flavored’ tea choices to just three or four favorites, chai would certainly make that list (as well as Earl Grey and probably chocolate – or possibly vanilla?) Fortunately, here at 52Teas – we don’t have to narrow our choices when it comes to tea! We’re all about celebration of flavor here! But that doesn’t diminish my adoration for a well-spiced chai!

I decided for my first ‘official’ chai of this fall season, I’d make a Houjicha based chai! I started with an organic, roasted green tea (aka Houjicha) and added cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger, cloves, cardamom, black pepper and a little bit of long pepper.

Mmm! The toasty flavor of the Houjicha adds a delightfully warm, nutty flavor to the cup and it is beautifully matched with the warmth of the spices. Not a hot spice – but comfortably warm. The kind of tea you want to curl up with while cuddling up under a a soft blanket and a good book.

organic ingredients: roasted green tea, cinnamon, ginger, cloves, cardamom, nutmeg, black pepper, long pepper and natural flavors.

About 52teas View company

I got this as a free sample along with my order of 5 sample packs of Toasted Marshmallow Hojicha! (I was stocking up lol) I wish that the season for chai wasn’t nearing an end because this tea is so yummy! I love hojicha because I love anything nutty and toasty and it goes perfectly with masala spices. I hope this tea comes back next fall because I will drink it up!

Flavors: Cinnamon, Clove, Nutty, Spices, Toasty

This is the tea of the week this week. I wanted to do something with Houjicha this month and since it’s Chai season, I decided that I should go with a Chai Houjicha. And YUM!

I think I’ve only tasted one other Chai Houjicha (during my time as a tea reviewer) and I’m actually kind of surprised there aren’t more. The warm spices of a masala chai blend meld perfectly with the roasty-toasty notes of Houjicha. It’s got a naturally sweet, nutty flavor to it that enhances the warm notes of the spices.

You don’t have to add sugar or honey to this, but I am of the belief that chai should always have a little bit of either honey or raw sugar because it brings out the most flavor from the spices. I used just a half teaspoon of raw sugar and this cuppa has got me doing the happy dance (which is not something you should do at 5:55 am because you might wake the rest of the house).

So yeah – if you’re a fan of houjicha – you really should try this. It’s definitely one of my favorites from this month’s selections.

Sophia