Explore The World With Us

Green Rooibos Blend
Berry, Bitter, Floral, Fruity, Meat, Sweet, Tart
Organic, Vegan
Edit tea info Last updated by 52Teas

• “Received a bit of this as a sample in my last 52teas order. It’s not something that appealed to me based on the description, so I wasn’t overly interested in trying it, until I read ShanieOManiac’s...” Read full tasting note
  • “Not a tea I would have chosen for myself, but I’m happy to try it as part of my mystery bag. The primary flavor is jasmine. Honestly, that’s the only flavor I taste. The tea I have in my other mug...” Read full tasting note
  • “Well, I wanted to try something new. And since I’m running out of new tea, I figured I’d try one of these sample packs that a certain Mad Tea Artist sent me! Quick pre-brew notes: The package...” Read full tasting note

From 52teas

A Very Important Tea (VIT) for a VIP (Very Important Pair)!

When a dear friend of mine (and a very special customer from our Page of Awesomeness) wrote to me and asked me to create a tea for her proposal to her significant other, I was thrilled and tremendously honored that she would ask me to create something that would be part of such a momentous milestone in her life.

So we went into some of the overall details of her tea concept. She wanted a tea that would be representative of six continents – as she wanted to invite him to explore the world with her! What a lovely concept! Since Antarctica isn’t really a place many people visit (or grow things!) she didn’t include all seven continents.

Fortunately, because tea is such a global product, this wouldn’t be too difficult a task.

Then she got into some specific details: because Dragon Well is a favorite of both of them, she wanted it to be included in the blend. She also wanted a jasmine tea to be part of the blend.

So we had the continent of Asia represented!

For the continent of Africa, I added some green rooibos. From the continent of Europe, I added some green tea from Portugal and from the continent of Oceania, I added some green tea from New Zealand.

For the American continents, we have our additions: the continent of North America is represented by big, juicy blackberries and for the continent of South America, we have cacao nibs & shells. Finally, the chocolate chips represent both American continents: the cacao was grown in South America, but they were produced in North America.

So there we have it: this is a green tea/green rooibos blend featuring Dragon Well and Jasmine teas from China, Young Hysson from Portugal and green tea from New Zealand, green rooibos from South Africa – and this base is blended with blackberries and chocolate. This is no ordinary blend – specially crafted with love and respect for two very special people!

And of course, this blend was crafted with our basic values intact: it’s VEGAN, gluten free & allergen free!

ingredients: green teas & chocolate chips (cacao & sugar)

organic ingredients: green teas, green rooibos, blackberries, cacao nibs & shells & natural flavors

About 52teas View company

Received a bit of this as a sample in my last 52teas order. It’s not something that appealed to me based on the description, so I wasn’t overly interested in trying it, until I read ShanieOManiac’s note on it… but even then, the thought of a green/green rooibos blend turned me off somewhat.

Ran across it yesterday, and decided to bite the bullet and try it – and I was very pleasantly surprised! The dominant aroma is definitely jasmine, as was noted by others, but chocolate is a strong secondary flavour. I can’t say I recall ever having that pairing before, and it’s actually rather intriguing. The jasmine, of course, is quite pleasant – no soapiness, just a clean, sweet flavour – and it’s grounded by the nib/shell chocolate, which is rich and given the source, not at all fake-tasting. Berries are present, but only barely, and in some sips. The bases suit the blend – I don’t taste either specifically, though there’s definitely more green tea than rooibos (which I can’t taste at all, and didn’t even really notice while measuring the leaf out, either).

Overall, an interesting tea that’s considerably better than I was expecting. Jasmine-heavy, so it wouldn’t appeal to those who dislike such florals, but a different take on jasmine with the addition of cacao shells/nibs. Not a tea I’d likely reach for often, mostly because I don’t like to drink jasmine teas too frequently, but I’ll look forward to my second cup of it, and wouldn’t even mind having a bit more in my cupboard!

gmathis

You’re right … that sounds like an odd combination. Odd but interesting.

Not a tea I would have chosen for myself, but I’m happy to try it as part of my mystery bag. The primary flavor is jasmine. Honestly, that’s the only flavor I taste. The tea I have in my other mug is also jasmine (accidentally) so I’m able to compare them directly. I don’t mind jasmine, but it’s not something I’d drink more than about once a year. So anyway, this tea is good, but not that suited to my tastes. I would have liked to be able to taste some of the berry. I do like it better than pure jasmine since the other teas soften the flavor a bit at least.

Quick pre-brew notes: The package smells like berries. Very sweet berries. I’m getting a little bit of green smell too, but not much.

Since it was a sample package, there was no brewing perameters on the bag. So I tried to go for a happy medium between Green Tea and Green Rooibos. So Western Style, at 175F/3Min/16oz/however much the sample was.

For starters, the brewed smell is definitely green tea. It’s very noticibly that. Taste is— Wow that is different. I’m getting the berries, they are providing a bit of tart sweetness. The green tea/green rooibos however, is really not grassy at all. Actually, it’s kind of… meaty? Kinda like a Bi Luo Chun? Which is weird because I didn’t see any of that listed in the ingredients. Besides those two flavors, nothing else really jumps out at me, but it’s more because the tea is so balanced rather than it being bland.

As it cools, I’m getting some floral and fruity notes (besides the berries). It also tastes like there is a background bitterness that is trying to break through, but the rest of the flavor profile is keeping it in check. This was a surprisingly tasty tea. I didn’t think I’d like it this much, but now I am considering getting a pouch or two. Solid Rec, guys. Give this one a shot. It’s different, but in a good way.

Flavors: Berry, Bitter, Floral, Fruity, Meat, Sweet, Tart

175 °F / 79 °C 3 min, 0 sec 16 OZ / 473 ML
Kittenna

Ooh, sounds interesting. I also got a sample pouch of this one, but haven’t tried it yet. Now I’m more intrigued, though!