Sleeping Beauty

Herbal Tea
Chamomile, Fennel Seed, Natural Flavours, Organic Schizandra Berry, Organic Spearmint, Rose, Valerian Root
Fennel, Licorice, Mint, Rose, Vegetal
Caffeine Free
Organic
Edit tea info Last updated by Mastress Alita
Boiling 5 min, 0 sec 10 oz / 295 ml

2 Images

• “I got this tea during American Tea Room’s going-out-of-business sale, as a hopeful replacement for Bluebird’s The Cat’s Pyjamas (which was just too chamomile-flavored for me to finish off so I...” Read full tasting note
  • “Bought a box of this without tasting a sample because I was intrigued that it contained valerian root and schizandra. A little fancier than your usual “sleepytime” blend of chamomile and lavender....” Read full tasting note

From American Tea Room

Sweet dreams are made from this wonderful organic blend of valerian root, mint, chamomile blossoms, forest berries, rose petals and a rich sprinkling of fennel. As bold and powerful as a folk remedy, but infinitely more delicious, the combination of valerian root and chamomile are perfect for relaxation and restful sleep. The blending of fennel and mint takes on a cooling property that soothes the body and altogether makes for an intoxicating brew. Beware though, you may have the most restful sleep you’ve had in a while.

Caffeine Level: None
Origin: Blend
Ingredients: Organic schizandra berries, Organic fennel seed, Organic spearmint, Organic valerian root, Organic chamomile flowers, Organic roses, Natural rose extract
Mood Profile: Calming
Flavor Profile: Mint, Spicy
Certification: USDA Organic

Tea Preparation Guide: 1.2 tsp/5g, 200 F, 5 mins

About American Tea Room View company

I got this tea during American Tea Room’s going-out-of-business sale, as a hopeful replacement for Bluebird’s The Cat’s Pyjamas (which was just too chamomile-flavored for me to finish off so I gifted it, but I liked the way the valerian root knocked me out). This tea included valerian root, but looked like it had enough ingredients to drown out the chamomile and hopefully have a more pleasant flavor for me to drink before bed.

When I first opened the package, what I first noticed is there wasn’t much chamomile in the blend, so I definitely wasn’t going to be getting another Cat’s Pyjamas. The scent was strongly that of fennel, and a bit minty. Brewed up, the fennel is definitely the dominant flavor, which is fine by me; being new to it, I immediately found I absolutely love it! It’s like a vegetal licorice, waaaaaaaaaaa! Sooooo good! There was a slight cooling, minty aftertaste, and a tiny hint of rose right at the end of the sip. Despite the amount of lovely schizandra berries in the blend, they don’t really impart much on the flavor. The floral notes, apart from the rose oil occassionally ghosting through, are also far too subtle to have an effect on the flavor.

I’m not sure how much valerian root this blend has compared to The Cat’s Pyjamas, but there is at least enough to wind me down and have that drowsy effect on my system. That particular herb just seems to work for me, and I’m glad to have found this tea, since I’m really digging the taste of that warm fennel. I think this is going to be my go to when I need to get to bed early from now on!

Flavors: Fennel, Licorice, Mint, Rose, Vegetal

Boiling 5 min, 0 sec 1 tsp 10 OZ / 295 ML

Bought a box of this without tasting a sample because I was intrigued that it contained valerian root and schizandra. A little fancier than your usual “sleepytime” blend of chamomile and lavender. I have an infant and I don’t sleep, so I’m willing to pay a premium for anything with more potent sleep herbs.

Cooling sensation from the mint and fennel, fragrance from the rose (but less so from the chamomile, which I’m totally fine with). I don’t exactly get what this schizandra adds, but altogether this is a well-balanced and tasty blend, without any tartness or spiciness that would be upsetting before beddy-time.