Red Delicious 2019 Jinggu Dianhong

Bulk, Loose Leaf
Edit tea info Last updated by annie

• “Gongfu! As I think I mentioned in a previous tasting note, I’m moving into a new apartment right now. The new apartment isn’t very far – it’s literally in the building adjacent from the apartment...” Read full tasting note
  • “I get where the name came from, but my first reaction was thinking about the INFERIOR apple (stone fruits are the best fruits and I won’t hear any different) and almost didn’t get this. but I’m a...” Read full tasting note

From Bitterleaf Teas

This Dianhong/Yunnan black tea/red tea/whatever you want to call it is good enough to take a bite out of.

While we generally avoid assigning specific flavours or notes to tea, this one has dominant peachy-sweetness that isn’t overpowered by the roast. The flavour is rich with a nice maltiness, making for a great budget black tea.

Picking period: Pre-April 17, 2019

About Bitterleaf Teas View company

Gongfu!

As I think I mentioned in a previous tasting note, I’m moving into a new apartment right now. The new apartment isn’t very far – it’s literally in the building adjacent from the apartment complex I’m currently living in. I’ve been moving slowly after I get home from work – but it’s dark/late/very snowy so walking stuff over has been slow moving.

Up until this weekend, anyway – I was lucky enough to have a friend help me move, so I packed up a TON of boxes all at once then she helped me load up her car and we drove the boxes over. We did a giant haul on Saturday and today; but I haven’t started unpacking anything yet there. So, I’m kind of in this weird stasis in my old/current apartment where I don’t have practically anything left unpacked – but all the things I need to kind of “live” (bed, kitchen supplies/food, laptop, bathroom stuff) are still in this apartment.

This was officially my last Gongfu session in this apartment as I had managed to whittle myself down to one set of teaware for brewing, my kettle, and one box of tea. So I brewed a nice session this morning – and then afterwards I washed out the teaware/kettle and packed it and my tea up to move over. So, I officially have NO tea/kettle in the apartment I’m “living in”. At least I should be fully moved into the new apartment in the next two or three days – just means I’ll have to get all my tea fix in at work over the next few days!

Anyway… Thoughts on the tea!!

This black tea is for the lovers of sweet and fruitier tasting teas; the dry leaf was so fragrant with overripe red fruit and peach notes with an undertone of leather!! The session was four amazing infusions w/ a mix of honey, malt, overripe peaches, syrupy cooked down red fruit notes (pomegranate, strawberry, red current), and just a hint of sweet woody/leather undertones! I had it with a pint of Quebec strawberries, and it was honestly so delicious – but also the best ‘final’ session in this apartment!

Also, how have I not had this tea before now!? It was so good! Best straight black tea I’ve had in a long while, for sure.

Photos: https://www.instagram.com/p/B8W5FSdAzPZ/

Song Pairing: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q3B17TmEvoY&list=LL1M1wDjmJD4SJr_CwzXAGuQ&index=9&t=0s

(Has anyone see You, on Netflix? I feel like this song would perfectly integrate into it’s Soundtrack…)

I get where the name came from, but my first reaction was thinking about the INFERIOR apple (stone fruits are the best fruits and I won’t hear any different) and almost didn’t get this. but I’m a sucker. a sucker for dianhongs and I am VERY glad that this ended up in my cart bc this is SO GOOD. it was cherry/peachy and malty and I love it. I forgot that I was steeping and so the first round it was slightly medicinal, but still enjoyable.

tea-sipper

Wait.. the description calls this peachy but the name is “red delicious”? Hmm

annie

dianhongs are sometimes also called red tea (or I guess Yunnan red tea so it’s not confused with rooibos? I dunno?) but YES. it is peachy (I also got cherry notes) and delicious :)