"Planet Bangdong" 2017

Bitter, Cotton Candy, Herbaceous, Peas, Powdered sugar, Sugar, Thyme
Medium
Edit tea info Last updated by Crimson Lotus Tea
205 °F / 96 °C 3 oz / 100 ml

• “This is my favorite of the 3 Crimson Lotus dragon balls I’ve tried so far. It has a good range in its profile. The rinsed leaf produced aromas of powdered sugar, peach, English peas and yeast. ...” Read full tasting note
  • “Gongfu, 100C, one planet (>8g)/110mL. I was intimidated to try this because I’ve heard that puerh from the Lincang region is really punchy when young but a great candidate for aging….and this...” Read full tasting note

From Crimson Lotus Tea

“A world of flavor in the palm of your hand!” This is a new planet in our Yunniverse.

Don’t let their small size fool you. These tiny spheres of puerh are made from Bangdong Shan big tree material. They were picked and processed in Spring of 2017 and were pressed in the Summer of 2017.

About Crimson Lotus Tea View company

This is my favorite of the 3 Crimson Lotus dragon balls I’ve tried so far. It has a good range in its profile. The rinsed leaf produced aromas of powdered sugar, peach, English peas and yeast. Started off savory, sweet and mineral with some bitterness in the back that lasts throughout the session. Smooth and brothy with a honeyed aftertaste. Then came an herbal addition (definite thyme) and at this point, I picked up watermelon/rind and faint basil on the lid. This was followed by buttery, fruity peach and yeasty notes, then florals and some astringency. Last steep of 7 minutes had a nice tartness. The pure sugar smell in the bottom of the cup and the strong returning sweetness that lasted the whole session were incredible. Honestly, this tea reminded me of a chardonnay in its buttery/yeasty character. The spent leaf was very chopped and tippy. Very high in caffeine, whew. The tastes make it something I want to buy more of but the caffeine would make it a rare indulgence for me.

205 °F / 96 °C 3 OZ / 100 ML

Gongfu, 100C, one planet (>8g)/110mL.
I was intimidated to try this because I’ve heard that puerh from the Lincang region is really punchy when young but a great candidate for aging….and this is a 2017 and I don’t like astringency but I decided to go with my small gaiwan rather than lowering the leaf:water ratio in my bigger gaiwan.
I liked this a lot :).
After loosening the planet up, I noticed that most of the material is really tippy
Steep 1 after loosening up the leaves with a rinse, I sniff the lid and think I’m stuffing my face into some cotton candy! The sip isn’t super flavorful, but after swallowing leaves a clean, crisp, sweet sensation like sugar snap peas which I love
Steep 2: still clean but more herbaceous, not astringent at all yet which I had been bracing myself for so…shrug. I like this a lot so far.
When I take a sip of Steep 4,…whoa. I immediately think of Italian Wedding Soup as weird as it sounds, this reminds me of basil, maybe a hint of thyme too. This also has me feeling like whoaaa! loads of energy. Also the cup smells like cotton candy when sipping down. I will note definitely don’t steep this too long, steep 5 was definitely too long, and the liquor came out cloudy and bitter.
By steep 7, the herbaceous bite left. I think I’m used to having bitterness up front from young sheng followed by a late sweetness. This is reversed here—intense sweetness up front that gives way to some crisp bitterness but not totally unpleasant.
All in all this was pretty damn good, and I definitely learned something about my tastes in puerh. Maybe I’ll start exploring the Lincang region more…

Flavors: Bitter, Cotton Candy, Herbaceous, Peas, Powdered sugar, Sugar, Thyme

fidgetiest

You taste so many notes! I wish I had your palate. Awesome!

kevdog19

Just had a YS 2017 Lincang myself and wasn’t overpowering either. Definitely hear about the killer young Lincang or Mengku but I didn’t have a problem with yesterday’s. Then again, it may have been an Autumn tea.

brutusK

Oh gosh, I’m so new and still learning, I don’t think I have a particularly great palate, fidgetiest!
Kev, I hadn’t considered the time of harvest, that’s a great point and maybe what was different. I had avoided Lincang because I’m so sensitive to astringency/bitterness but its definitely something I’m willing to dipping my toes into now, figuratively speaking.

kevdog19

Definitely a stronger region for those flavors… I enjoy them very much but I only hit them every once in a while when I need it. Try literally, no more athletes foot. Haha ;) enjoy it.