2017 Storm Breaker

Pu-erh Tea
Pu Erh Tea
Chocolate, Dark Chocolate, Wood, Cherry, Medicinal, Natural Pumpkin Spice Flavor, Earth, Sweet, Metallic, Raisins
Edit tea info Last updated by TJ Elite
Boiling 0 min, 15 sec 5 g 2 oz / 71 ml

• “Storm Breaker is quite unique and accurately named as I got plenty of notes of dirt, petrichor, rainfall, and finishing of marine. It’s like a rainfall cleaning away the dirt and the final steeps...” Read full tasting note
  • “Storm Breaker has none of the “off” warehouse/storage/wet-pile flavors commonly found in shou. It also had an impressive longevity. Most shous tap out after ~8-10steeps, but this one just kept...” Read full tasting note
  • “I drank this twice in the last two days – once in a porcelain gaiwan and again in a Jianshui pot. The smell of the dry leaf isn’t super impressive, mostly dark chocolate with lots of undercurrents...” Read full tasting note
  • “Got a sample of this last week and ordered a cake on Black Friday. This is a nice tea if a bit pricy. There was not as much fermentation taste as I was expecting and what was there was sweet at...” Read full tasting note

From Crimson Lotus Tea

This is an incredible example of very high quality shou made by true craftsmen. This is from a small batch wodui composed entirely of old tree material from the Menghai area. This tea pushes the envelope for what a shou puerh experience can be. There is a depth of experience possible in this tea that will at once confuse and excite you. This is a special tea.

This material finished the wodui process in the Spring of 2017. It was pressed in late Summer of 2017. This tea presents a very dense cup. It can be a little overwhelming when brewed with a heavy hand. We suggest washing this tea 2-4 times.

About Crimson Lotus Tea View company

Storm Breaker is quite unique and accurately named as I got plenty of notes of dirt, petrichor, rainfall, and finishing of marine. It’s like a rainfall cleaning away the dirt and the final steeps being cleansed.

However, I would certainly sit on this shou for a year or two to get more tighter texture and resteeps. This tea has a lot of room to age as it isn’t fully fermented. As is, drinking in 2017, you need to rinse it multiple times to get the wet piled funk out.

Full review on Oolong Owl http://oolongowl.com/2017-storm-breaker-shou-puer-crimson-lotus-tea/

Boiling 0 min, 15 sec 1 g 0 OZ / 13 ML

Storm Breaker has none of the “off” warehouse/storage/wet-pile flavors commonly found in shou. It also had an impressive longevity. Most shous tap out after ~8-10steeps, but this one just kept going. This tea could easily push beyond 15 steeps, depending on your brewing parameters. It’s insane that, for being so freshly processed, the tea tastes and smells like it’s had plenty of time to rest…

Read the full review at: https://shenggut.wixsite.com/shenggut/single-post/2017/12/10/Crimson-Lotus-Tea-Storm-Breaker-Spring-2017

Flavors: Chocolate, Dark Chocolate, Wood

Boiling 0 min, 15 sec 7 g 3 OZ / 100 ML
Pu 'Eh?!

I loved the review, but at the end, you did not clarify one thing. Was the gift from Crimson Lotus Tea?
I love reading your reviews.

Sheng Gut

Thanks for your support! Yes, the gift was from CLT. I’ll make it more clear in the disclaimer.

I drank this twice in the last two days – once in a porcelain gaiwan and again in a Jianshui pot. The smell of the dry leaf isn’t super impressive, mostly dark chocolate with lots of undercurrents going on that I couldn’t make out. Wet, more aromas come out – dark chocolate with a bright cherry medicinal note. The tea soup also carries a very strong aroma. The leaves are also super burly, probably the most impressive I’ve seen in a shou. Glen recommends 2-4 rinses for this at the moment but I did one for 10 seconds and besides a faint off flavor in the first cup it was fine. The off flavor wasn’t even unpleasant. The first infusions are slightly bitter with a very strong sweet mineral aftertaste. The flavors are very complex and hard to describe but there is a cherry medicinal note that dominates the session and like I said in my first tasting of this it is nothing like cough syrup. I also occasionally get cinnamon like spice notes. The mouthfeel is very nice, super oily and lubricating with a mint like cooling sensation. The qi is also very intense like a young sheng. Honestly, my only possible complaint is price but what can you do about that? I think that if you are willing to pay that much for a tea period, that this is more than worth it especially if you are really into shou like myself.

Flavors: Cherry, Medicinal, Natural Pumpkin Spice Flavor, Wood

Got a sample of this last week and ordered a cake on Black Friday. This is a nice tea if a bit pricy. There was not as much fermentation taste as I was expecting and what was there was sweet at first then a little bitterness as the tea opened up. Overall this was quite good.

I steeped this eight times in a 70 ml teapot with 6g leaf and boiling water. I gave it a 10 second rinse. I steeped it for 5 sec, 5 sec, 7 sec, 10 sec, 15 sec, 20 sec, 25 sec, and 30 sec.

Flavors: Earth, Sweet

Boiling 6 g 2 OZ / 70 ML
looseTman

How does it compare to CLT’s 2010 Black Gold?

9/10
Dark brown color, smooth, full mouth feel, dried raisin and prune flavors. Very interesting flavors with slight metallic and hint of bitter finish.

Flavors: Earth, Metallic, Raisins