Butter Sencha

Green Tea, Natural Flavours
Burnt Sugar, Butter, Grass, Vegetal, Brown Sugar, Cream
Medium
Edit tea info Last updated by Perry Papadopoulos

• “This is quite delicious. I drank quite a few unlogged cups of it at work, and am down to one remaining cup (which is ok, because it’s a green and they don’t last forever). Very umami, buttery,...” Read full tasting note
  • “I can’t decide how I feel about this one — sometimes when I brew it it’s the beautiful buttery green tea goodness that I love, but then I steep it for one minute longer and it’s a grassy disaster....” Read full tasting note
  • “I bought this because of the high rating, but it is a disappointment. It tastes and smells like weak vegetable broth. I don’t get any butter, caramel or other rich notes. I’m fairly new to...” Read full tasting note
  • “Just perfect. Buttery, grassy, hints of vanilla-caramel sweetness. Strong and satisfying. One of my tea true loves.” Read full tasting note

From DAVIDsTEA

This mouthwatering Japanese sencha is a gateway to green tea addiction. It’s bold, crisp and dangerously delicious, with rich caramelized butter notes highlighting its natural umami flavours. The sweet aroma alone is enough to make anyone fall for it – from straight tea newbies to well-seasoned pros. Perfect for breakfast, second breakfast, elevenses and afternoon tea. You know what they say… two cups are butter than one.

Ingredients: Green tea, natural roasted butter flavouring.

Price: $12.98 per 50g

About DAVIDsTEA View company

This is quite delicious. I drank quite a few unlogged cups of it at work, and am down to one remaining cup (which is ok, because it’s a green and they don’t last forever). Very umami, buttery, with a bit of brown sugar sweetness. I was annoyed to learn that it was, indeed, a flavoured tea (an employee misinformed me, but the ingredients list doesn’t lie), but realistically, there was no way this buttery flavour could have been natural.

I can’t decide how I feel about this one — sometimes when I brew it it’s the beautiful buttery green tea goodness that I love, but then I steep it for one minute longer and it’s a grassy disaster. I’m typically sensitive to grassy greens, so that makes sense, but the cup I’m drinking right now was probably the best brew-job I’ve ever done on this tea. 1 minute and 30 seconds at 195 degrees Farenheit is the goods!

Flavors: Burnt Sugar, Butter, Grass, Vegetal

I’m fairly new to unflavored green teas, so maybe my palate needs to mature. I’m going to save this for winter and use it in vegetable broth or cold-fighting tea blends.

I thought I had steeped this briefly enough, but it was a little bitter. Will try going under 2 minutes next time.

Average in every sense of the word. Nothing especially bad about it, but doesn’t stand out either

Flavors: Butter, Vegetal

This tea had me at one sniff I knew that I would be purchasing 100 grams. The smell of butter and caramel mixes so wonderfully together and its just not with the dry tea leaves but even continues once brewed. I can get at least 4 really good steeps for with one teaspoon and only let it steep for about 45 seconds, just watch your temperature with this one.

Flavors: Brown Sugar, Butter, Cream

0 min, 45 sec 1 tsp 16 OZ / 473 ML
MrQuackers

I was glad to read this review. I was against the idea of using flavour with sencha. I will have to try it.

Great tea! Really good with a quick steep time

Currently sipping on this one, but it’s gone cold now. I was busy trying to research somewhere in Montreal where I could rent out studio space/buy materials to do clay work since I’ve recently been really interested in the idea of learning to make my own teaware, such as gaiwans. I’m not having a ton of luck finding somewhere to do this where it’s not some sort of “class” though – and I just want free access to studio space, not instructor led studio time or classes to develop specific techniques/etc.

It’s a little frustrating because I feel like, in a city as large as Montreal, I should be able to find something in their vein of thought…

The tea is fine though; it would be better if it was still hot. Strong, buttery overtones with those marine/seaweed kind of undertones that sort of ‘clip’ into the buttery body every now and then. Good for an occasional type of tea; I wouldn’t want those sencha notes on a regular basis…

Kittenna

I would think you should be able to find somewhere that lets you freely play with clay/use their materials and equipment. I have a friend who took a class and made all sorts of things – they got a decent level of instruction but it sounded like they then had a fair bit of freedom to pursue what they wanted to do, and then everything was fired and then came back for another couple sessions to paint. Probably worth just calling some places up and asking them straight up, if websites don’t have the info.

hawkband1

You might have to take a class first before you can use or rent studio space. That’s how the studio I go to works.
I’ve made both gaiwans and teapots. Gaiwans are pretty easy. Teapots are a pain – especially the small ones.
Good luck! Hope you find a studio that works!

Oh my goodness! This tea is so yummy!!! I got myself 50g but I must get more. It reminds me of Movie Night but maybe even better?? So yummy. I love the butter flavour to this. I LOVE IT!