Spicy Piña Margarita

Caffeine Free
Vegan
Edit tea info Last updated by Perry Papadopoulos

From DAVIDsTEA

You know when you’re drinking a spicy margarita and it’s bursting with pineapple and mango and then BAM! A fiery kick of jalapeño? Yes, it’s amazing and yes, this caffeine-free fruit infusion tastes just like that. With its unique and wildly refreshing flavours, it’s the perfect way to start happy hour – especially when you add a surprise shot of tequila.

Candied pineapple (pineapple, cane sugar, citric acid, sulfur dioxide), ginger, mango (mango, sugar, citric acid, sulphur dioxide), tomato, cilantro, jalapeño (jalapeño pepper, coconut oil).

Allergens: coconut, sulfites

Price per 50g: $7.98

About DAVIDsTEA View company

Shared a sample of this one with my sister. We both did not like it. I had a good laugh because my sister said it tasted like what a dirty stinky shoe must taste like.

Sorry, Spicy Piña Margarita, but you are just foul to me. The more I tried to force myself (and everyone in my household) to finish up my 50g of this, the more I realized that I just do not like these flavors at all.

I like spicy. I like the warming bite of ginger in a lot of DavidsTeas, and I am happy to put jalapenos on almost everything in life. I get much more ginger than jalapeno in this (in fact, I wouldn’t guess there is any jalapeno in this), and much more cilantro than anything else. The cilantro has a weird, funky, dirty dish soap water taste that is horrifying. Sadly, I don’t get any mango or coconut. The pineapple is there as a vague, nondescript, fruity tone, with hints of warming ginger, and the weird burst of cilantro and hint of tomato.

It’s very much like steeping up a big cup of cilantro. I can only tolerate cilantro in small amounts in Nam Khao.

Whenever I find a tea that I don’t enjoy, my best friend is happy to finish off the tea for me (we have complete opposite taste in tea, so this system works out well for us). My BFF hated this tea as well, and then I couldn’t find anyone else willing to try it.

Cilantro tea.

So…

After MONTHS of saying I was going to do this back when I was working at a retail store, I finally tried an attempt at making a “tea infused salad dressing” with this tea. I mean, I know that there are areas I can improve upon when doing this, but I just wanted to dip my toes in the idea and see if it was something that even had room to go anywhere.

I started by scooping a few tablespoons of this tea into a mason jar, then filling it with a mixture of coconut oil and sesame oil, just until I covered the top of the tea I had added in. Then, I gave the jar a few good shakes and left it for a few days to, hopefully, let the tea steep into the oils. Like cold brewing, but not?

It definitely did something, because after like 36 hours I noticed that the oil had taken on a sort of greenish yellow hue – so at that point I strained out the tea and set to making my salad. I did a sort of Greek Salad? Basically, I chopped up some cucumber, onion, bell pepper, and tomato and tossed it all together with some spoons of my tea oil/dressing, and a squeeze of lemon juice, until everything was coated.

So. Thoughts.

Well, I definitely wish that I had used more coconut oil and less sesame because the sesame oil has a REALLY strong taste that I think is covering a lot of what probably extracted from the tea. I was pretty low on coconut oil, unfortunately, so if I want to recreate this again using only coconut oil I would definitely have to go buy more. Maybe avocado oil would be an interesting option too?

Aside from the strong sesame flavor, I do get some of the spice from the tea though! It translates pretty well to the salad/oil kind of idea, and I think I actually maybe like it more than I liked the spice in the tea itself!? I wish the pineapple had come out more, but again I could just be covering it up with the strong sesame notes. Bottom line, I think this is an idea/concept worth further playing with – so I’m going to maybe do a little research/get some opinions from coworkers and then try again in the future!

lizwykys

Oh, man, sesame oil should come with a big ole danger sign :P! I love it, but, yikes, it is SO easy for it to totally overwhelm the dish / recipe … I usually ever add it drop by drop now. I suggest trying your original recipe (which sounds really good!) with no sesame at all and see how it comes out — you can always add a drop or two to a bit you set aside for testing, but I think nothing will be lost by not having as a part of the actual infusion process, since the only things I can imagine infusing into the sesame would be super super strong (probably unpleasantly so) flavors and aggressive heat. Sesame will flat out beat down everything else!

VariaTEA

I wonder if it would make a difference if you cold steeped in vinegar as opposed to oil? Could be a fun experiment. Also I love sesame oil but it is one strong flavor so I could see it drowning out some of the more nuanced notes from the tea.